[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Video Signals

In <9?!#+`-@rpi.edu>, jvmiller@zeno1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Jim Miller) writes:
>    I am interested in using the digital RGB outputs and I need to
>know if the XCLK*, and XCLKEN* are outputs and if XCLK* is a clock
>running at the pixel rate.  Any detailed timing information on how these signals
>work would be greatly appreciated.

XCLKEN* is an inoput. It enables the external clock, which is an input to XCLK*
It is for supplying an external; clock to the Amiga, especially for genlocking
the Amiga clock to an external video signal.

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

jvmiller@zeno1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Jim Miller) (02/17/90)

    I am interested in using the digital RGB outputs and I need to
know if the XCLK*, and XCLKEN* are outputs and if XCLK* is a clock
running at the pixel rate.  Any detailed timing information on how these signals
work would be greatly appreciated.

1	XCLK*		13	GNDRTN
2	XCLKEN*		14	ZD*
3	RED		15	C1*
4	GREEN		16	GND
5	BLUE		17	GND
6	DI		18	GND
7	DB		19	GND
11	HSYNC*		23	+5V
12	VSYNC*

In article <9?!#+`-@rpi.edu> jvmiller@zeno1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Jim Miller) writes:

>    I am interested in using the digital RGB outputs and I need to
>know if the XCLK*, and XCLKEN* are outputs and if XCLK* is a clock
>running at the pixel rate.

Both XCLK and XCLKEN* are inputs.  XCLK is an alternate 28.636 (NTSC) system
basis clock, and XCLKEN* switches the multiplexer that directs the system to
use XCLK instead of the internal clock.  Generally this clock is provided by
Genlock devices to slave the Amiga system to an external video signal.

If you're interested in cleanly clocking pixels somehow, you need to talk
with an Amiga Video Wizard of some sort -- that looks a bit like black magic
even to me, though I kinda know what is done (Hedley hires and flickerFixer
do this sort of thing).  I'd recommend Pete Silverstone or Hedley Davis; there
may be a few others who know this stuff, but I wouldn't bet on there being
more than a handful or so.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough