[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AmigaUUCP1.03D Question

TSI@cup.portal.com (David TSI Tingler) (02/09/90)

I have installed the binaries from the recent posting of AmigaUUCP 1.03D and h
have run into a problem. I have been running an old version of AmigaUUCP for
several months with success so have had some experience with it.

The problem is that when uuxqt runs to process news work files it immediately
reports cannot load rnews: insufficient free store. I get this even though I
have as much as 800K free. My newsfeed is not in compressed form.

Does anyone know a solution???!!!

douglee@doug.UUCP (Doug Lee) (02/15/90)

TSI@cup.portal.com writes:

>I have installed the binaries from the recent posting of AmigaUUCP 1.03D and h
>have run into a problem. I have been running an old version of AmigaUUCP for
>several months with success so have had some experience with it.

>The problem is that when uuxqt runs to process news work files it immediately
>reports cannot load rnews: insufficient free store. I get this even though I
>have as much as 800K free. My newsfeed is not in compressed form.

I have observed this too! In Matt Dillon's documentation somewhere, he
mentions that rnews takes an enormous amount of memory. I have NOT been able
to get uuxqt to work on my one meg machine. When using the Francis 4 meg
expansion (which can be flakey, hence trying to run without it for reliable
unattended operation), uuxqt works just fine. I think I managed to get free
memory up to the 800k level and it didn't work. When running on the Francis,
it does take at least 650K for extended periods. I can't account for the
extra, but know it actually needs at least > 800K free to work. Educated
guess: maybe it needs a CONTIGUOUS 650K block. If you have 512K chip and
512K fast ram as I do minus Francis, the largest possible block is something
less than 512K. It would be interesting to find out if it works on a 1 meg
chip ram machine.

>Does anyone know a solution???!!!

1) more memory
2) wait for Matt or others to hack on code since he knows it's memory hungry
3) hack it yourself since source is provided.
4) get rid of EVERYTHING possible to free ram: EG: disconnect any extra
   floppy drives and autoconfig peripherals. If using a hard-drive, you may
   have to disconnect it and use floppies to free the driver/buffer memory.
   run an absolute minimum of stuff in startup-sequence eg: don't make
   things like shell-seg resident, do a loadwb or addbuffers to any drives.

douglee@becker     <<<Doug Lee>>>
416-461-5357

bill@wfhami.UUCP (Bill Hogsett) (02/18/90)

    A question has been asked concerning UUCP 1.03D and rnews The question
was:

TSI@cup.portal.com writes:

>I have installed the binaries from the recent posting of AmigaUUCP 1.03D and h
>have run into a problem. I have been running an old version of AmigaUUCP for
>several months with success so have had some experience with it.

>The problem is that when uuxqt runs to process news work files it immediately
>reports cannot load rnews: insufficient free store. I get this even though I
>have as much as 800K free. My newsfeed is not in compressed form.

    Doug Lee responded as follows:

I have observed this too! In Matt Dillon's documentation somewhere, he
mentions that rnews takes an enormous amount of memory. I have NOT been able
to get uuxqt to work on my one meg machine. When using the Francis 4 meg
expansion (which can be flakey, hence trying to run without it for reliable
unattended operation), uuxqt works just fine. I think I managed to get free
memory up to the 800k level and it didn't work. When running on the Francis,
it does take at least 650K for extended periods. I can't account for the
extra, but know it actually needs at least > 800K free to work. Educated
guess: maybe it needs a CONTIGUOUS 650K block. If you have 512K chip and
512K fast ram as I do minus Francis, the largest possible block is something
less than 512K. It would be interesting to find out if it works on a 1 meg
chip ram machine.

    I too have seen the problem, and I believe (very sure) the problem is
that rnews requires a large block of contiguous memory.  I have a 1.5 A1000
and normally have around 950K to a meg free.  Rnews will not load if there
is not a contiguous free block of at least 450K (not sure of the exact
number).  The total amount of free memory needs to be around 950K minimum
also.  I normally have to reboot to get the required contiguous memory.
(Anyone got a sure fire way to clear the fragmented memory?)

Bill Hogsett                      CLEVELAND AREA-AMIGA USERS' GROUP (CA-AUG)
ncoast!wfhami!bill                          (216) 292-4404 (BBS)
20876 Almar Drive
Shaker Heights, OH 44122 I get paid for my legal opinions, but
216-295-1624             I'd really rather talk about my Amiga.

mark@ozland.Dayton.OH.US (Mark Osbourne) (02/19/90)

I, too, found that after going from a 2 meg machine back to a 1 meg
machine, that I was unable to reliably unbatch the spooled news files.

My solution to the problem was to assign the T: logical back onto my hard
disk.  Uuxqt runs rnews which in turn runs compress -d to uncompress the
file into the T: directory.   Putting T: back on the HD took care of the
problem.

--
-- Mark Osbourne mark@ozland.dayton.oh.us   uunet!dayvb!ozland!mark

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (02/20/90)

In article <02782.AA02782@wfhami.UUCP> bill@wfhami.UUCP (Bill Hogsett) writes:
>    A question has been asked concerning UUCP 1.03D and rnews The question
>was:
>
>TSI@cup.portal.com writes:
>
>>I have installed the binaries from the recent posting of AmigaUUCP 1.03D and h
>>have run into a problem. I have been running an old version of AmigaUUCP for
>>several months with success so have had some experience with it.
>
>>The problem is that when uuxqt runs to process news work files it immediately
>>reports cannot load rnews: insufficient free store. I get this even though I
>>have as much as 800K free. My newsfeed is not in compressed form.
>
>[... text deleted ...]
>
>    I too have seen the problem, and I believe (very sure) the problem is
>that rnews requires a large block of contiguous memory.  I have a 1.5 A1000
>and normally have around 950K to a meg free.  Rnews will not load if there
>is not a contiguous free block of at least 450K (not sure of the exact
>number).  The total amount of free memory needs to be around 950K minimum
>also.  I normally have to reboot to get the required contiguous memory.

Yes, Rnews does require an immense amount of free contiguous memory to
operate. I believe the correct number is around 600K contiguous RAM before
any memory used by the program itself, or any memory needed by the T:
directory (if you keep it assigned to your RAM: disk). So, to be safe, you
usually need at least a 1.5mb machine, and your T: directory assigned to a
HD or floppy. The reason for this is that the Rnews program that is in the
current release allocates a huge array for use in the built-in unbatcher
(and uncompress) routine. Regardless if this is used or not, the memory is
allocated at startup anyway. So, if you only have a 1mb machine, you're
usually out of luck. This restriction will *hopefully* be removed in an
upcoming update. (To date, there has been no work done on the news portion
at all, beyond adding support for some of our config entries, etc. This may
change soon as Matt and I get more spare time to work on it.)

>(Anyone got a sure fire way to clear the fragmented memory?)

Nope. Unless people were to use pointers to pointers in order to keep track
of allocated memory, it would be pretty damn hard to do a fast and workable
memory management routine that can handle relocation of memory blocks and
such to combine the smaller blocks into larger ones. Of course, the current
scheme does allow the system to deallocate RAM being taken up by libraries
and other resources that aren't currently being used, if you do ask for
more memory than is currently available in a contiguous block; but as far
as I know that is the limit of the collection capabilities of the current
OS.

>Bill Hogsett                      CLEVELAND AREA-AMIGA USERS' GROUP (CA-AUG)

Hope this clears things up,

      Darrin Hyrup
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik