[comp.sys.amiga.tech] KS1.4 on an A1000? or CMI.

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (02/20/90)

We were one of those people having trouble with the CMI
on the A1000 but we grounded the PALS and then tried
terminating the bus. That did the trick now we are
able to use the Starboard, Stardrive and CMI simultaneously.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT SIDE EFFECT OF THIS BUS TERMINATION
was that it also seems to have eliminated many of the
unexplainable gurus we experienced even without the CMI
processor. I suspect we just got rid of a lot of bus
noise that was crashing the system.

So the CMI does work, the problems people are experiencing
are a result of too much bus noise that may also be producing
other problems with their system. I guess thats why CBM
never considered the A1000 an expandable system.

 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 274 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 INTERNET: jea@cvs.rochester.edu

jil@cs.iastate.edu (James Lathrop) (02/20/90)

                                    Thanks  Jim.

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (02/20/90)

In article <5346@ur-cc.UUCP>, jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
> We were one of those people having trouble with the CMI
> on the A1000 but we grounded the PALS and then tried
> terminating the bus. That did the trick now we are
> able to use the Starboard, Stardrive and CMI simultaneously.
>
> ONE VERY IMPORTANT SIDE EFFECT OF THIS BUS TERMINATION
> was that it also seems to have eliminated many of the
> unexplainable gurus we experienced even without the CMI
> processor. I suspect we just got rid of a lot of bus
> noise that was crashing the system.

Sounds good to me.  What did you use to terminate the bus?
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.