[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Manx 5.0 Info Wanted

lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (02/21/90)

I have some questions to people who have recvd the update:

1. Does SDB have an Arexx port?  (I need this for a project I have in mind)
2. Does the compiler have an Arexx port?
3. What is QuikFix?

I sure hope they added the Arexx ports... seems to be a requirement for new
software in my mind.  Do the Lattice compiler/debugger have Arexx ports?

I received an upgrade notice from Manx!  Amazing; I've been using their compiler
since V3.20 and this is the first time they've contacted me.

The postcard lists the new features: Full ANSI C compiler, Full ANSI libraries,
Fast, tight, rock solid code, New 900+ page manual, Full MMU support,
1.3 WB compatible, QuikFix.  Standard upgrade fee $75.  You get Aztec C 5.0,
plus updates to SDB, UniTools, & Lib. source ]if you are licensed for them.
Add on offers: SDB $30, UniTools $20, Both $40. 800-221-0440 USA
201-542-2121 non-USA.

John Lindwall			lindwall@cs.ucsd.edu

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (02/21/90)

In article <7874@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> lindwall@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (John Lindwall) writes:
>I sure hope they added the Arexx ports... seems to be a requirement for new
>software in my mind.  Do the Lattice compiler/debugger have Arexx ports?

Yes, the Lattice compiler has an ARexx port.  Suprisingly, the Lattice
scren editor is not documented as having an ARexx port.  The compiler
itself does not have an arexx port; I'm not sure what good and arexx
port on a non-interactive program could be. The compiler can
output error messages to stdout, which can be redirected and parsed
by an ARexx script to drive your editor. The lattice editor somehow
feeds the compiler a line at a time from the in-memory copy of the
program you are editing (if you're brave :-); maybe there is an
undocumented ARexx port in LC.         -- Darren

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (02/21/90)

Oops.  I meant to say "Yes, the Lattice debugger has an ARexx port"! -- Darren

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/22/90)

>  Subj: Manx 5.0 Info Wanted
>  Keyw:
>I sure hope they added the Arexx ports... seems to be a requirement for new
>software in my mind.  Do the Lattice compiler/debugger have Arexx ports?

The lattice CodeProde SBS has a Arexx port --

The Compiler ???? Why a Arexx port in a compiler?

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (02/24/90)

In article <25e344f5:1011.1comp.sys.amiga.tech;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>>  Subj: Manx 5.0 Info Wanted
>>  Keyw:
>>I sure hope they added the Arexx ports... seems to be a requirement for new
>>software in my mind.  Do the Lattice compiler/debugger have Arexx ports?
>
>The lattice CodeProde SBS has a Arexx port --
>
>The Compiler ???? Why a Arexx port in a compiler?

Why?  Why not?  Wouldn't it be nice if the compiler could talk intimately
to your ARexx-compatible editor?  You could have the editor command the
compiler to compile (from memory, even), and when the compiler found an
error, it could cooperate to display error messages and other help in
your editor's screen, allow you to make changes in the editor (like fixing
semicolons, whatever), and continuing to compile incrementally.

You could also make a bunch of error messages "smarter".  For example,
the warning "line 400: no reference to variable foo" may encourage
you to delete the declaration of foo, but line 400 is presumably the
end of the function, and foo was probably declared at the beginning.

The basic thing with ARexx is let your imagination run wild...

>Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
>and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.
>
>Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
>      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
>      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

     Peter
---
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
My opinions do not necessarily represent the opinions of my employer.

baer@qiclab.UUCP (Ken Baer) (03/01/90)

In article <9798@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
||The Compiler ???? Why a Arexx port in a compiler?
|
|Why?  Why not?  Wouldn't it be nice if the compiler could talk intimately
|to your ARexx-compatible editor?

So, I hope you guys are going to put an AREXX port into MicroEmacs.  Please,
please, please! :-)  I really miss being able to compile and jump to my
errors from within Emacs.  I'd really like to stick with Emacs if I can,
since I don't want to waste my time learning yet another editor (life is
hard isn't it! :-).

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises.
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER