[comp.sys.amiga.tech] hd.device for 1.3

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (03/09/90)

   I would like to hook a streaming tape drive to my 2090a and try to send
commands to it.  The scsidisk.h header file makes it look like it is
possible and even somewhat standard with the exception of the unit number
strategy.

   I cannot find any docs on the hddisk.device interface on any of my
developer disks or on the software disk that came with the 2090a itself.
Is this interface documented somewhere?

   Thanks in advance.

            * * *   Imminent use of deathnet predicted.   * * *             //
Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

In <12585@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) writes:
>   I would like to hook a streaming tape drive to my 2090a and try to send
>commands to it.  The scsidisk.h header file makes it look like it is
>possible and even somewhat standard with the exception of the unit number
>strategy.
>
>   I cannot find any docs on the hddisk.device interface on any of my
>developer disks or on the software disk that came with the 2090a itself.
>Is this interface documented somewhere?
>
>   Thanks in advance.

hddisk.device is not documented as such, but it is a standard device, and can
be accessed using DoIO after setting up an IORequest struct and filling in a
few values. Build a SCSICmd struct, fill that in, and then send a HD_SCSCmd
command to it. Be aware that the 2090(a) has a bug that will prevent the
operation of any command requiring a write in the data phase, and you will have
to OR 0x01000000 into the data address to work around it. My 'mt' program
checks for hddisk.device and turns this bit on if needed.

What tape drive are you using? I would like to find some folks who can test
'mt' with controllers and drives other than the ones I use. I have tested with
a 2090(a), a HardFrame, and an Archive Scorpion, and will soon be testing with
an Archive Viper.

-larry

--
Entymology bugs me.