[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SCSI Tape Drive Support

okastl@ebger.UUCP (Oliver Kastl) (02/10/90)

A streaming tape software is going to be released by Elaborate Bytes
within the next month. It comes with a Intuition based Backup-program.

Your controller must support the new Commodore HD_SCSICMDs with
Autosense. (e.g. the ALF2-SCSI and C= A590 work, the C= A2090A not). I
believe the Microbotics will do the job.

Your streamer tape drive should support the mandatory commands for
squential devices of the SCSI2 proposal (e.g. WangTek, Calipher and TEAC
are all working fine).

For more information contact Prespect Technics, Inc., P.O. Box 670,
Station 'H', Montreal, Quebec H3G 2M6, Canada.

--

- Best regards, Oliver   "Home is where the heart is..."
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ebger!okastl

Bob.Collinsworth@afitamy.fidonet.org (Bob Collinsworth) (02/13/90)

Anyone out there figured out how to use a SCSI tape drive on the Amiga? I have
a MicroBotics HardFrame controller, and would like to use a tape to back up my
300 Meg HardDrives but don't know how to bring the whole thing together. I
already have the tape drive so all I need is the software or proper mountlist
entry or whatever. any help or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

                   Bob Collinsworth
                   2001 Wyoming St.
                   Dayton, Ohio  45410

Bob Collinsworth - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Bob.Collinsworth
ARPA: Bob.Collinsworth@afitamy.fidonet.org
-------------------------------------------------|
>        //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway        |
>    \ //    Dayton, Ohio  (513)-252-7681       |
>     X/               1:110/300                |
-------------------------------------------------|

terry.smallwood@canremote.uucp (TERRY SMALLWOOD) (02/17/90)

Hi Bob,
There are two tape backup systems I know of (one I'm using).
First there is 'TArc' which is actually unreleased software used with an
Archive SCSI Viper Tape Drive (60 or 150 Mb). This is what I'm using
because it was developed at a company called Comspec in Toronto, Ontario
and I have their hard drive controller (it's the only one TArc
supports).
Second is the new GVP tape backup system using their hard drive
controller/software and a Wangtek 150 Mb SCSI Tape Drive.
GVP's advantage is that it will do both image and file-by-file backup
whereas TArc will only do image type backups.
If you come across anything in the way of 'generic' tape control code
let me know as I have yet another tape system that does not work
properly with TArc.
Ciao
Terry
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (02/17/90)

In article <90021612325836@masnet.uucp> terry.smallwood@canremote.uucp (TERRY SMALLWOOD) writes:
>If you come across anything in the way of 'generic' tape control code
>let me know as I have yet another tape system that does not work
>properly with TArc.

	I am also interested in some form of generic tape control code. I am
getting a new A2000HD/PC via the educational discount & would like to have a
tape backup. Last weekend Halted Electronics in Sunnyvale had SCSI 40M tape
drives for $129. I was sorely tempted but there was no driver available.
					Terry

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (03/10/90)

Also, I got a note from Oliver Kastl who is almost done with a
tape backup package.  (Oliver, every combination I tried from
your address bounced:( ).  His software works fine with the
2091 and hopefully, with the information that I posted here
recently, will work with the 2090a and the 2090.

Patrick Horgan                    phorgan@cup.portal.com