[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Direct-Hookup...

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/10/90)

This was post on comp.sys.amiga....

I recently hooked up two amigas together via null modem, normal chatting
works fine... even up to 40some K baud... but when I try to transfer a
file using ZMODEM in JR-Comm, it says it lost it's carrier, could this be
because this is an Asynchronous type handshake?  Any help would be
appreciated...

-Dino Khoe
Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

ellson@stsusa.com (03/13/90)

In article <3938@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
> This was post on comp.sys.amiga....
>
> I recently hooked up two amigas together via null modem, normal chatting
> works fine... even up to 40some K baud... but when I try to transfer a
> file using ZMODEM in JR-Comm, it says it lost it's carrier, could this be
> because this is an Asynchronous type handshake?  Any help would be
> appreciated...
>
> -Dino Khoe
> --
> Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 	|	|---||____||   |\     can be
> New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

You could try strapping the RS232C input signal "CD" (Carrier Detect - pin 8)
to any active output signal, such as "DTR" (Data Terminal Ready - pin 20),
through a 1K resistor so as to avoid blowing something.
You may need to do the same thing at both ends of the link.

Big Disclaimers:  I havn't tried this myself.  No warranties.  Don't try it
unless you are comfortable with basic electronics repair.  Don't do it with the
power on.

John Ellson      ellson@ontap.stsusa.com
Siemens Transmission Systems, Phoenix