[comp.sys.amiga.tech] CreateProc.. Help!!!

bartz@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Edward Bartz) (03/08/90)

	Help!!!!  I am tring to create a process from within a device
driver.  I want the process to among other things be able to open
a con window and display output.  As a base, I started with the
proctest example by Rob Peck on fish disk 5.  I also made the few
changes	changes discribed in his book.  Then compilied it under Manx 5.0,
and executed the program to make sure the code worked. The subprocess runs, I
varified this by having it add 2 numbers and return the result.  But
it won't printf, and won't fd=fopen("test","w"); Manx also doesn't
seem to like the line stdout = msg->outpointer; in the program
littleproc.c, so I removed it.  This would explain why printf won't work,
but not why the file doesn't open.  What gives?

	On a second note.... Has anyone had trouble useing the include
files in manx 5.0 for the devices like timer and trackdisk.  When I
compile a program with say #include <device/trackdisk.h>  it tells me
their are errors in the include file.  It points to lines like
#endif !EXECIO_H.  To use the include file I had to change all such
lines to #endif /*!EXECIO_H*/, then it seemed to work. Why?

							Ed Bartz
--

    UUCP: bartz@elbereth.uucp
    BITNET: bartz@rutphy.bitnet

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (03/15/90)

In article <Mar.8.09.52.44.1990.2541@elbereth.rutgers.edu> bartz@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Edward Bartz) writes:

>	Help!!!!  I am tring to create a process from within a device
>driver.  I want the process to among other things be able to open
>a con window and display output.  As a base, I started with the

No can do.  A device driver is a TASK, not a PROCESS.  I handle this by
having an external program open the CON: window and pass the handle to
the driver, then using the DOS packet interface to read and write the
window.  Of course, I only use mine for debugging, so it's not too much
hassle to do this.  If you need to be able to pop up a window at any time,
I suggest having an external process server waiting around to open windows
for you on request (requests obtained via message ports).  Alternatively,
you can open the window via intuition.library and read and write it the
hard way.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)382-8265 =
 *|. o.| ||                                NOTE NEW BBS NUMBER!^^^^^^^^
  | o  |//     Got mole problems?  Call Avogadro: 602-1023!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker