[comp.sys.amiga.tech] UUCP 1.03D

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (03/14/90)

I WAS DOING JUST FINE! (It was running... I swear!)

My Modem went dead (an Avatex, 2400 Baud) so I borrowed a Hayes 2400 Baud
from the office and...
	1) uucp still dials the call OK
	2) uucp (sometimes) makes the login ok
	3) uucp HANGS UP/Never acknowledges the 'Shere' message
	   from the remote uucp being dialed... :-{
	4) the spool/LOGFILE shows the following
		UUCICO, AmigaUUCP, - STARTUP V1.03D (0.40w/0.60w)
		UUCICO, nodename, - DIALED nodename
		UUCICO, nodename, - SUCCEEDED call to nodename
		(there are also lots of FAILED call messages)
	   I never get an OK or COPY or REQUEST or REQUESTED message.
	   There is plenty of stuff queued up...
My first guess was that the Hayes was not configured correctly... It looks
fine though.  I am using a cable which passes pins 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 20. I
used a cable which passed all 25 pins for the Avatex.

Anyone have a problem with a Hayes modem?
Anyone have a similar problem, where calls are made and logging in but
uucp is exiting rather than acknowledge the 'Shere' message from the
remote uucico?

I am stumpped.

(Oh, if it makes a difference, the Amiga has 2.5MB RAM, and a MC68020/881 in it
 and is running ADOS 1.3.)

ARS.
--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (03/15/90)

In article <27992@cos.com> andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:
>I WAS DOING JUST FINE! (It was running... I swear!)
>
>My Modem went dead (an Avatex, 2400 Baud) so I borrowed a Hayes 2400 Baud
>from the office and...
>[... text deleted ...]
>My first guess was that the Hayes was not configured correctly... It looks
>fine though.  I am using a cable which passes pins 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 20. I
>used a cable which passed all 25 pins for the Avatex.

Could be the cable.  I don't remember what are required.

>Anyone have a problem with a Hayes modem?

I am using a Hayes 2400 and have no problems at all.  (In fact, I've been
using it here with AmigaUUCP since its earliest versions with no problems.)
There have been no other problem reports to my knowledge regaring the Hayes
modems and a situation similiar to yours. (And I'd likely know, since most
bug reports and such go to Matt and are mirrored to me, or vice-versa.)

>Anyone have a similar problem, where calls are made and logging in but
>uucp is exiting rather than acknowledge the 'Shere' message from the
>remote uucico?
>
>I am stumpped.

I've never heard of a problem like this either.  Maybe you got a bad copy
of the code??  I have no idea at all.

>(Oh, if it makes a difference, the Amiga has 2.5MB RAM, and a MC68020/881 in it
> and is running ADOS 1.3.)

Although it shouldn't make a difference that you're using an '020, it could
have something to do with it somehow.  Try it without the '020 and see if
that makes a difference.  (I doubt it).

>- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com

Hope that helps,

          Darrin
--
Darrin A. Hyrup 	     // AMIGA Enthusiast	 rencon!esfenn!dah
magik%sorinc@PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik