[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ka9q for amiga wanted...

wcf6@tygra.UUCP (Keith Vitek) (03/11/90)

I am looking for a newer version of the tcpip prg ka9q for the amiga...
the version i have is dated sometime in 88 i think... i tried to get
a message to the guy that wrote it  but it bounced...

also has anyone had this running on their computer? if so, e-mail me..

Keith

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (03/11/90)

For the brave of heart, you can get beta test versions of Phil Karn's
KA9Q NOS software for the Amiga via anonymous FTP.  It is on the host
Sayshell.UMD.EDU, in the /pub directory.  Look for files named something
like "amiganos-900214.zoo".

[Mild flame on:
For those of you with brain dead machines that can't query the domain
name system, the address of Sayshell.UMD.EDU is 128.8.2.88.  It
astonishes me that there are hosts on the Internet today that *still*
can't use the domain name system.
Flame off.)

This is beta test software.  There is no documentation except the source
code.  Please don't send me mail asking how to set it up or what the
files are supposed to look like.  I'm making the code available for people
somewhat familiar with the NOS code to test is on an Amiga platform, and
send me bug reports and bug fixes.  Unless you really want to spend some
time figuring it out, please wait until the official release version is
available.  I don't know when this will happen since the MSDOS version
that serves as the porting base is still changing.

The Amiga version of NOS supports pretty much all of the functions that
the DOS version does; including SLIP support.

The "release" version will also be available for anonymous FTP and also
on a Fish disk.

Oh, and please don't put "poster" in the followup: header line.  That's
for newsgroups, not cutsy stuff like that.  Since this question has come
up a few times before, I decided to post the response.

louie
WA3YMH

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (03/11/90)

In article <1990Mar11.013846.10011@haven.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
> Oh, and please don't put "poster" in the followup: header line.  That's
> for newsgroups, not cutsy stuff like that.

Sorry, RFC1036 _Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages_, states:

| 2.2.3.  Followup-To
|
|     This line has the same format as "Newsgroups".  If present, follow-
|     up messages are to be posted to the newsgroup or newsgroups listed
|     here.  If this line is not present, follow-ups are posted to the
|     newsgroup or newsgroups listed in the "Newsgroups" line.
|
|!    If the keyword poster is present, follow-up messages are not
|!    permitted.  The message should be mailed to the submitter of the
|!    message via mail.

It's legitimate.

	...tad

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (03/13/90)

On 11 Mar 90 01:38:46 GMT, louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) said:

louie> Oh, and please don't put "poster" in the followup: header line.
louie> That's for newsgroups, not cutsy stuff like that.  Since this
louie> question has come up a few times before, I decided to post the
louie> response.

Using "Followup-To: poster" is perfectly valid.  It's a legitimate,
defined keyword documented in the RFC on News messages.  It simply
means that if someone tries to followup to the article, the newsreader
is supposed to automatically treat it as a "reply" command and use
mail to the poster instead of posting the reply.

Unfortunately, few (if any) newsreaders actually implement this, at
present.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327

smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar11.013846.10011@haven.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>For the brave of heart, you can get beta test versions of Phil Karn's
>KA9Q NOS software for the Amiga via anonymous FTP.  It is on the host
>Sayshell.UMD.EDU, in the /pub directory.

>This is beta test software.  There is no documentation except the source
>code.

Is there a mailing list for people who are interested in this software.
I would love to be able to "luck" on here -- granted I am not familiar
with the code, but I would like to hear about problems as they come
up and are fixed...

--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (smaug@eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!smaug    | phrase the question very carefully. */

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar13.183541.13051@eng.umd.edu> smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) writes:
>In article <1990Mar11.013846.10011@haven.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>>For the brave of heart, you can get beta test versions of Phil Karn's
>>KA9Q NOS software for the Amiga via anonymous FTP.

	OK. I'll bite. What is KA9Q? It sounds like some ham's call letters.

Curious,
Keith Hanlan
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada 613-765-4645
uunet!bnrgate!{bwdls40|atreus}!keithh or (via bitnet) keithh@bnr.ca
"Speed doesn't kill people, massive hydroelastic shock kills people."