[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Visual Bell Ringer ...

c91a1-rd@amazon.Berkeley.EDU (Raja (Reader)) (03/21/90)

I am deaf. I am trying to write a program that will either interface
directly with the modem or via ARexx, some of the Shareware or PD
telecommunication programs, in a way, so that when it detects a call,
the screen should flash on and off as spectaculary as possible.  Since
I have an Amiga 2000HD and 3 MB of RAM, memory and disk usage should not
matter at all.
I know Unix (Am writing some 4.4 BSD Unix stuff. :) ... but just bought
my amiga a short while ago, and have not really got around to learning
AmigaDos or Intuition, or controlling the serial port ....
Can anyone help me on this? That is, how may I go about writing a function
call for the flashing of the screen, and another for polling the modem
for incoming calls, or writing an ARexx interface to the telecommunication
programs which can and do report incoming calls (Unfortunately they do it
quietly).

	Thanks a lot in advance ...
				Raja S Kushalnagar.
P.S.  It seems that the SupraModem 2400 can't go under 600 baud. Is there
any way ... (i'm prepared to take apart my modem ... :-) to get it to go
to 300 or 110 baud or even 40 baud (Most TDD's are 40 baud!)?
{root,raja}@athena.berkeley.edu | raja@{soda,ocf,yocomputo}.berkeley.edu
Pending: raja@cory.berkeley.edu | Flames to root@cory :-) :):)

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/25/90)

>Item: 1178 by *Masked* at amazon.Berkeley.EDU
>  Subj: Visual Bell Ringer ...
>I am deaf. I am trying to write a program that will either interface
>directly with the modem or via ARexx, some of the Shareware or PD
>telecommunication programs, in a way, so that when it detects a call,
>the screen should flash on and off as spectaculary as possible.  Since

Hmm.. should not be a big deal , there are a bunch of programs that allow
AREXX to interface to the serial port .

The thing is to set the modem (hopefully hayes compat) to send the "RING"
result string when the pohone rings , and just have a program do the scree
when that string comes in ..

(a fun idea would be to let the program run a random screen hack when the
ring happens -- it would be fun to have "ing!" bounce the windows around as
a ring indiocator..;.. very dramatic)

Psychic Claims: World War II Faked At Film Studio In Hollywood.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568