[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Stupid: What is FacII

a464@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dawson) (03/27/90)

> po87553@tut.fi writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <3306@alva.tut.fi>
>
> Org.  : Tampere University of Technology, Finland
> Person: Ojala Pasi Juhani
>

> I guess you mean FaccII. It's a kind of disk-buffer. But it's quite smart.
> It doesn't remember all junk you run, only the most used and shortest
> one. And if you take directory of your disk many times, it starts to
> remember it too, so when you write ls or dir or something, there is no
> movement in disk-drive at all, directory just comes up. There should be
> an utility called Facction. You can control the size of the buffer
> with it. FaccII is very useful utility, if you have A LOT of memory,
> but like I have only one meg, it's too little for using FaccII for anything
> reasonable.
>
> Juha Tuominen, Sysop of The Amiga Project

     One important detail about FaccII which has been left out is that it is a
commercial product.  If you don't know what it is, then that probably means you
haven't bought a copy of it, so you should delete it from your disks.  FaccII
is published by ASDG, and should be available in stores.

.Bruce Dawson.

sheffler@colt.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) (03/27/90)

I bought my amiga used (a few months ago) and am still figuring out
what some things are.

Would anyone care to tell me what the program "FacII" is supposed
to do.

Thanks.
	Tom	sheffler@ece.cmu.edu

po87553@tut.fi (Ojala Pasi Juhani) (03/28/90)

I guess you mean FaccII. It's a kind of disk-buffer. But it's quite smart.
It doesn't remember all junk you run, only the most used and shortest
one. And if you take directory of your disk many times, it starts to
remember it too, so when you write ls or dir or something, there is no
movement in disk-drive at all, directory just comes up. There should be
an utility called Facction. You can control the size of the buffer
with it. FaccII is very useful utility, if you have A LOT of memory,
but like I have only one meg, it's too little for using FaccII for anything
reasonable.

Juha Tuominen, Sysop of The Amiga Project

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/28/90)

FaccII is a program that buffers floppy disk accesses.  That means that
as your program reads from the disk, a copy of what is read is kept in
memory so that if you need to refer to it again, it is there.  So it
can be read much faster than going to the disk again.  In practice set
FaccII to the largest size you can live with.  On my 1.5 meg system, I
have FaccII set to 256K.  Up to 256K of stuff is kept by FaccII buffers
in fast RAM making it appear programs run much faster.  BAtch files are
big winners with a floppy system and FaccII because normally every time
you need to 'echo' a line (for example) the echo program has to be read
into memory from the disk and executed.  If you read it from the disk
once then the next time you need it there is a good chance it will still
be in the buffer memory so you read it from RAM instead.

The best thing is to have everything always in RAM of course.  That is
impractical in almost every case.  So a RAM disk can help, or making a
program Resident.  But you still need LOTS of RAM for a RAM Disk to be
a general purpose solution and the Resident command means you have to
decide what to make REsident.  Not everything can be Resident and
sometimes you don't want it always in memory.  Just maybe for three
uses in a row.  The Buffer idea is that by keeping a copy of what you
have called from disk recently, there is a good chance of your needing
it again.  If not, eventually it will be replaced by something else you
read from disk recently.  And the best part is that it all happens
without any decisions on your part - you don't even know it happens
unless you notice things are a bit faster and the disk drive doesn't
get used as often.

Course if you have a hard disk then you might not want to use FaccII
since it uses precious RAM.  Or you might want to make the buffer
sizes pretty small.  Reading from a hard disk is nearly as fast as
reading from the RAM buffer so it is your call.

I run a three floppy system and the software that has made the biggest
difference in ease-of-use over a plain vanilla 1.3 system:

Conman, WShell, FaccII, DMouse, MyMenu, PowerPacker.

Dana Bourgeois @ Cup.Portal.Com

Darren Popham <POPHAMD@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/29/90)

    Amazing Computing had a good review of FACC II.  I think it was in
    Vol 3 Num 3.  The review describes a little about how it is
    implemented and also mentions a little about comparing FACC II to
    using a ram disk.

-Darren Popham

perley@hobbes (Donald P Perley) (03/29/90)

In article <1379@mindlink.UUCP>, a464@mindlink (Bruce Dawson) writes:
>> po87553@tut.fi writes:

One addition to what has been said: the function of FaccII is similar
to "addbuffers", except that it shares the buffer pool between all
your floppies.  If you use FaccII (and you probably should), than
DON'T use "addbuffers" for any floppy drives in your startup-sequence,
as memory committed to addbuffers would be wasted.

>     One important detail about FaccII which has been left out is that it is a
>commercial product.  If you don't know what it is, then that probably means you
>haven't bought a copy of it, so you should delete it from your disks.  FaccII
>is published by ASDG, and should be available in stores.

There has been a lot of pirating of Facc, but they guy DID say he bought
the computer used; I would assume it came with the machine.  He could
check that he has the original disk, or ask they guy he bought the
computer from if he is a crook.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

po87553@tut.fi (Ojala Pasi Juhani) (03/30/90)

>delete it from your disks

No, I dont't have to delete it. I've neather bought it. I don't have it!
8) I saw once a friend of mine showed it to me - nowdays he uses some
PD-program, whch makes the same, I don't remember the name. As I mentioned,
I have only 1 meg memory and as you probably can understand, there is no
change to create big buffers only because of some programs and the other
hand - I don't need programs like FaccII - I've a HD....

(don't take this article too seriously..)