[comp.sys.amiga.tech] "SetCPU FASTROM" weirdness

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (03/28/90)

I have a few questions about SetCPU.

First, I when I envoke "SetCPU FASTROM", the path command doesn't seem to
work correctly.  Path will set the path correctly in the current Shell, but
if I fire up another Shell (by double-clicking the Shell Icon), the second
Shell doesn't inherit the path.  If I specify "SetCPU FASTROM NOPATCH",
everything is fine.  Is this a known bug?  I *like* the FastROM patches --
they keep my disk drive from clicking!  I would like to be able to use the
Patches with impunity...

On a lesser note, does it make any difference when SetCPU is run, relative to
SetPatch?

If it matters, I have a 2500/30.

Thanks,
ken
--
Ken Yarnall                             yarnall@cs.scarolina.EDU
Math Department, USC			yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

In article <3164@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:
>I have a few questions about SetCPU.

>First, I when I envoke "SetCPU FASTROM", the path command doesn't seem to
>work correctly.  Path will set the path correctly in the current Shell, but
>if I fire up another Shell (by double-clicking the Shell Icon), the second
>Shell doesn't inherit the path.

The SetCPU patches affect this -- specifically, the string patches that change
"Workbench" to "Fastbench".

>If I specify "SetCPU FASTROM NOPATCH", everything is fine.  Is this a known
>bug?

It's a known conflict.  Path inheritance needs the Workbench string around
somewhere, and when SetCPU changes it, you lose that capability.  I suppose
the patches could be massaged a bit to find which "Workbench" string is
the problem, but I'm taking a different approach in SetCPU V1.6 (currently
in the works).

>I *like* the FastROM patches -- they keep my disk drive from clicking!  I would
>like to be able to use the Patches with impunity...

I like the NoClick feature too, but some other folks don't.  For instance,
those who have drives that feature doesn't work with.  In SetCPU V1.6, the
only patch built into the program is the KEYPATCH trick, since you really
need that for proper operation with Cherry keyboards.  However, you have
the option of loading a patched ROM image instead of the one from directly
from ROM.  This is different than loading a KICKROM -- no reboot takes
place, but SetCPU will only load it if the ROM image is the same version as
the one in your system.  Small patches like the "Fastbench" patch or the
NoClick patch will work just great this way.  And if you add enough patches
to break something, you can't hold SetCPU responsible for it!

>On a lesser note, does it make any difference when SetCPU is run, relative to
>SetPatch?

Shouldn't -- the FASTROM changeover should be completely transparent to all
software, except for the patches.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough