[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Installing _Star Command_ on a HD, and the AmigaDOS Delete command.

lord_zar@koufax.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (04/07/90)

I guess this is the right newsgroup for my questions.
I tried to install the game Star Command on the HD that came with my
A2500, and apparently I can't figure enough out from the sparse instructions
that came with the game(it uses the IBM manual, and a data card for Amiga-
specific info) or AmigaDOS to get it set up. The datacard does say that to
install the game, you need some basic AmigaDOS knowledge, which, as a new
user, I don't have, so if someone could email me with the exact commands
to type at the shell prompt, I'd be very pleased. Also, I almost got it
working with the correct command but can't figure out how to put it in the
right place on DH0, so I need to do mass deletes of the Star Command files
that got copied to the wrong spot.
I can't seem to get the wildcard(*) to work right in a delete command, so
any help on doing a mass emptying of a subdirectory would be helpful.
also, I accidentally deleted (from the installed WB 1.3 that came on the
HD) the clock program. I got a floppy of WB 1.3 with the computer, so
some simple commands to recopy it would help. I did it with icons, using,
from the workbench screen and the right mouse button, and the (I think)
'dismiss' command or something, and it removed the clock from the HD.
it was prolly only one file, but....
also, It just might be simpler, to clean up my HD, to use the reinstall
disk to redo the HD and start from scratch. is this a stupid idea, or
not? if not, some info on how exactly to do it would be appreciated.
then, I need to know the command to check the memory usage on the HD via
the Shell or Software. ideas?

remember to email answers to me, posting is only a good idea if no one
(except M.B. :-) flames you. :-)

Wayne.
Y.A.S.A.O.! (Yet Another Satisfied Amiga Owner!)

*    // Only /\       Lord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys                    *
*\\ //      /--\MIGA  (and hater of spaces near commas.)                      *
* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
* "The only good long .signature is a dead one!" --Me (The new, shorter .sig!)*

yoshio@ucrmath.ucr.edu (yoshio nakamura) (04/08/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech
Subject: Re: Installing _Star Command_ on a HD, and the AmigaDOS Delete command.
Sender: yoshio@ucrmath.ucr.edu (yoshio nakamura)

In article <5308@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lord_zar@koufax.UUCP (wayne wallace) writes:
>I guess this is the right newsgroup for my questions.

No, it's not.  comp.sys.amiga.tech is for TECHNICAL questions, like how
to program the Amiga, not questions like "how do I install a GAME on an HD",
or "how do I use the delete command", or "how do I find disk usage".

>I tried to install the game Star Command on the HD that came with my
>A2500, and apparently I can't figure enough out from the sparse instructions
>that came with the game(it uses the IBM manual, and a data card for Amiga-
>specific info) or AmigaDOS to get it set up. The datacard does say that to
>install the game, you need some basic AmigaDOS knowledge, which, as a new
>user, I don't have, so if someone could email me with the exact commands
>to type at the shell prompt, I'd be very pleased. Also, I almost got it

Why don't you buy a book on AmigaDOS, instead of wasting net bandwith
(like this message, I suppose).  RTFM!

>working with the correct command but can't figure out how to put it in the
>right place on DH0, so I need to do mass deletes of the Star Command files
>that got copied to the wrong spot.
>I can't seem to get the wildcard(*) to work right in a delete command, so
>any help on doing a mass emptying of a subdirectory would be helpful.

The wildcard is "#?", not "*".  You should have bought a book on AmigaDOS.

>also, I accidentally deleted (from the installed WB 1.3 that came on the
>HD) the clock program. I got a floppy of WB 1.3 with the computer, so
>some simple commands to recopy it would help. I did it with icons, using,
>from the workbench screen and the right mouse button, and the (I think)
>'dismiss' command or something, and it removed the clock from the HD.
>it was prolly only one file, but....
>also, It just might be simpler, to clean up my HD, to use the reinstall
>disk to redo the HD and start from scratch. is this a stupid idea, or
>not? if not, some info on how exactly to do it would be appreciated.
>then, I need to know the command to check the memory usage on the HD via
>the Shell or Software. ideas?

Use the "info" command.  (BUY AN AMIGADOS MANUAL, OR A NEW BRAIN!)

>remember to email answers to me, posting is only a good idea if no one
>(except M.B. :-) flames you. :-)
>

>Wayne.  >Y.A.S.A.O.! (Yet Another Satisfied Amiga Owner!)
>

>*    // Only /\       Lord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys                    *
>*\\ //      /--\MIGA  (and hater of spaces near commas.)                      *
>* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
>* "The only good long .signature is a dead one!" --Me (The new, shorter .sig!)*

Why don't you format your postings so that people don't have trouble
reading your posts?  If you make it hard on people to read your posts,
why should they help you?

Don't listen to wayne, we certainly don't.  He does things like try to find
people who left without logging themselves out, and adding a nasty .plan file,
breaks rules blatantly like being in our sun lab after hours without
authorization, eating in our terminal rooms...

-yoshio

Yoshio Nakamura                      Internet: yoshio@ucrmath.ucr.edu
University of Calif., Riverside      uucp: {ucsd, uci, ucdavis}!ucrmath!yoshio