[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SCSI Direct

root@amnesia.UUCP (William J. Coldwell) (02/16/90)

The MultiPort Board SCSI device driver is now "SCSIdirect".  What I need
now is a fairly complete list of all of the ANSI SCSI commands.  If anyone
has a complete list, then please email it to me (or call RoboCity).  I
have compiled a list from various tape drive and hard drive manuals, and
would like to include a nice header file with some source on how to access
the device driver.  Any help appreciated.

 Bill

     RoboCity - The Amiga Developer/Power Users Forum - (503) 255-1446

--
Patient Name: William J. Coldwell Age:24 Occupation: Amiga Attitude Adjuster
Patient Address: tektronix!reed!percy!amnesia!billc also PLINK: CRYO

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (02/17/90)

In <00021.AA00021@amnesia>, root@amnesia.UUCP (WJ Coldwell) writes:

|  The MultiPort Board SCSI device driver is now "SCSIdirect".

    Good news! Now if only CBM would do so for the 2090(A)...

| What I need now is a fairly complete list of all of the
| ANSI SCSI commands. [...]

 Bill,
   I don't have a complete list in electronic form, but included here are
 pointers to a couple of sources and the SCSI-BBS.
 <-Harvey
---
]American National Standard (ANSI) for Small Computer System Interface
](SCSI), X3.131-1986.  This approved standard is available from:
]
]      American National Standards Institute
]      1430 Broadway
]      New York, NY 10018
]      Sales Department: (212) 642-4900
]
]The price is $25.00 each for 1-9 copies.  Quantity discounts are
]available.  If your company is a member of ANSI, you may also be
]eligible for a discount.
]
]
]The enhanced Small Computer System Interface (SCSI-2) is not an approved
]standard.  It is a working document of the X3T9.2 Task Group that is
]intended to revise and enhance X3.131-1986.  Copies of the most recent
]version of this document can be obtained from:
]
]      Global Engineering Documents
]      2805 McGaw
]      Irvine, CA 92714
]      (800) 854-7179
]      (714) 261-1455
---

>  Thanks to John Lohmeyer of NCR, a majority of the SCSI related
>files from his SCSI BBS are now available from the mgse mail archive
>server. These files were sent to me by Mr. Lohmeyer at his expense so
>that more people would have access to them. The SCSI BBS
>(316-636-8700) contains a large amount of data relating to SCSI, and
>ESDI as well as SCSI-2, IPI, and Fiber Channel, as well as the last
>revision of the SCSI-1 standard before it went to publication by
>ANSI. If you are interested in finding out what is available from the
>archive server, send the message that follows to archive@mgse and you
>will get back an index of names and descriptions and a unix style ls
>-lR listing of filenames and sizes.
>
>--- cut here ---
>help
>send other/scsi-bbs/list
>send other/scsi-bbs/index
>--- cut here ---

---
 "Who cares if it's RISC, CISC, VLIW, or a bunch of elves with abaci?"
                                                    - Peter da Silva
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (03/09/90)

I posted a few days ago to note that a friend had found a way to do
SCSI direct on a 2090a.  It seems that a bit that tells the dma
chip whether it should read or write is never getting set, so the
dern thing always thinks it's supposed to read.  The work-around is
to pull up bit 24 of the data buffer address (addr |= 0x1000000) in
your SCSI direct packet when you write.
	Fortuitously, since the 2090a driver isn't setting this when
it's supposed to it also leaves it alone:)  The same code will work
successfully with the 2091.  The driver will overwrite the bit with
it's own.
	The news I got today is that although the 2090 driver doesn't
support SCSI direct, the 2090a driver, (when used with this method),
works just fine with the 2090:)

Patrick Horgan                         phorgan@cup.portal.com

mwandel@tiger.waterloo.edu (Markus Wandel) (04/08/90)

Some time ago, I added the "SCSI Direct" protocol to my homemade SCSI system.
The only documentation I had to go on was the include file "devices/scsidish.h".
It seemed pretty understandable and my implementation works fine, but I am
not sure if it is really done correctly.

I wrote a simple program to test the implementation.  This program allows you
to interactively issue SCSI commands, transfer data into and out of a
preallocated buffer, execute some "premade" commands, such as for formatting
and parking disks, and so forth.  I use it for all my disk maintenance.

It would be nice if someone with knowledge of SCSI could try this out on a
2091 or a HardFrame.  Also, if anyone has a simple program, which uses the
SCSI direct protocol to perform some generic disk task, such as parking it,
I'd like to try it out on my system.

Could any interested volunteer(s) send mail to me at the address below?  Thanks.

Markus Wandel
mwandel@tiger.waterloo.edu
(519) 884-9547