[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Phi-2 Frequency on the CIA-B Chip

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (04/09/90)

I have written a short test program that measures the frequency of the Phi-2
clock signal on the CIA-B chip.  With repeated measurements over varying
periods of time, I keep finding the clock frequency is about 713 KHz.  Is this
correct?  I would have guessed that it is either the system clock (7.14 MHz)
or the colorburst frequency.  Are my math calculations wrong?  If it IS
713 KHz, where is this generated from?

  -dave

rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com (Raymond S. Brand) (04/09/90)

In article <10713@netcom.UUCP>, mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:
> I have written a short test program that measures the frequency of the Phi-2
> clock signal on the CIA-B chip.  With repeated measurements over varying
> periods of time, I keep finding the clock frequency is about 713 KHz.  Is this
> correct?  I would have guessed that it is either the system clock (7.14 MHz)
> or the colorburst frequency.  Are my math calculations wrong?  If it IS
> 713 KHz, where is this generated from?
>
>   -dave

On an NTSC machine the Phi-2 clock (E-Clock) will be at 715909hz and on a PAL
machine it will be 709379hz. On 68000 based motherboards this signal comes
from the E pin of the 68000, which is the processor clock divided by 10. BTW,
the CIAs may be clocked at different rates on future machines.

						rsbx

  Raymond S. Brand			rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com
  Commodore-Amiga Engineering		...!uunet!cbmvax!rsbx
  1200 Wilson Drive			(215)-431-9100
  West Chester PA 19380			"We're working on it"

LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (04/10/90)

In article <10713@netcom.UUCP>, mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) says:

>I have written a short test program that measures the frequency of the Phi-2
>clock signal on the CIA-B chip.  With repeated measurements over varying
>periods of time, I keep finding the clock frequency is about 713 KHz.  Is this
>correct?  I would have guessed that it is either the system clock (7.14 MHz)
>or the colorburst frequency.  Are my math calculations wrong?  If it IS
>713 KHz, where is this generated from?
>
>  -dave

The Phi-2 (or 02) clock is generated by the E clock circuit on board the 68000.
It is 1/10 of the frequency at the clock input pin of the 68000.  It allows
the 68000 to use the older 6800 series perpherial chip.    In this case
Phi-2 = 7.16 MHz/10 = 716 KHz.  So your calculation is very good !!!

K. C. Lee

No disclaimers because no ideas were expressed... :)