[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga Unix release date?

lbl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (leslie.b.locklear) (04/10/90)

In article <6547@blake.acs.washington.edu>, dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:

.
.
.
> messages generated by my request for networking info).  One of the bell labs
> people at the Open Express booth indicated that AT&T has just announced the
> release of Sys V version 4.01, which is essentially a developer's version
> of V4.  They indicated that the release inteded for all users should be
> within six months, but that 4.01 _is_ available to any who want it (and want
> to pay for it).

.
.
.

Just to clarfy things a bit, System V R4.0 has been officially released since
10/89.  4.01 is an update to the previous release.  The reason that you haven't
seen many companies selling R4 yet is that when AT&T announces the availability
of a release, the hardware manufacturers must take what they license from AT&T
and port it, do QA, figure out how they want to market it, and make sure that
there are some applications packages that are available on their hardware
before they sell it to end users.  All this takes a bit of time and effort.
It won't be long before System V R4 is available on many different platforms
for end users to buy.  By the way, I have no idea what timetable Commodore has
for System V on Amy.  I just wanted to give people a general idea of what
needs to take place between the time a version of System V is announced and
when it is generally available to end users.

Barry Locklear