[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 2090A scsi direct

In <28681@cup.portal.com>, phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
>Just wanted to add a note to anyone doing scsi direct for tapes.
>The 2090A doesn't seem to support multi-block read/writes.  If you
>always do a 1 block read/write it's ok, otherwise you get phase-errors.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. I haven't been getting phase errors,
unless the hanging in DoIO is actually due to a phase error that is not being
reported (I know the error reporting of hddisk.device is hosed). It's sure
worth a shot though.

>Have fun:)

I guess it is fun, isn't it? :-)

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (04/07/90)

Patrick Horgan                         phorgan@cup.portal.com

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (04/08/90)

In article <28681@cup.portal.com> phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
>Just wanted to add a note to anyone doing scsi direct for tapes.
>The 2090A doesn't seem to support multi-block read/writes.  If you
>always do a 1 block read/write it's ok, otherwise you get phase-errors.
>
>Have fun:)

Doesn't it ?

There had been several driver versions, it shouldn't be hard for C=
to fix that since that's a software problem.

--
Michael van Elst
p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de

harald@boink.UUCP (Harald Milne) (04/10/90)

In article <1363@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
> In <28681@cup.portal.com>, phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
> >Just wanted to add a note to anyone doing scsi direct for tapes.
> >The 2090A doesn't seem to support multi-block read/writes.  If you
> >always do a 1 block read/write it's ok, otherwise you get phase-errors.

    I have had success with the 2090 with another tape drive doing
multi reads and writes. My hddisk.device came from the 2090A diskette
which is the latest version I could find for the 2090. I had nothing but
problems until I got hold of this.

> Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. I haven't been getting phase errors,
> unless the hanging in DoIO is actually due to a phase error that is not being
> reported (I know the error reporting of hddisk.device is hosed). It's sure
> worth a shot though.

    The tape drive I'm trying to run now does a lot of what Larry is describing.
My suspicion is the tape drive, since this has worked for me before.

    What tape drive are you using Larry?

--
Harald Milne                   RISCy business	       uunet!ccicpg!boink!harald

In <1335@boink.UUCP>, harald@boink.UUCP (Harald Milne) writes:

>> Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. I haven't been getting phase errors,
>> unless the hanging in DoIO is actually due to a phase error that is not being
>> reported (I know the error reporting of hddisk.device is hosed). It's sure
>> worth a shot though.
>
>    The tape drive I'm trying to run now does a lot of what Larry is describing.
>My suspicion is the tape drive, since this has worked for me before.
>
>    What tape drive are you using Larry?

I am using the Archive Scorpion, with an Emulex MT-02 SCSI->QIC36 controller.
In playing around since the discussion of multiple vs. single block reads, it
does not seem to matter to the hanging problem. The single block reads are sure
slow though.

On the general subject of speed, I am now trying to go to async IO and running
separate processes for the disk and tape operations. I feel like I have just
gazed upon the Medusa. :-)

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.