[comp.sys.amiga.tech] info mystery, where's 50k?

In <2156@crash.cts.com>, oleg@pnet01.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>I have a slight problem. When checking my Workbench1.3 disk, (a working copy
>with ARP1.3 installed) and other diss as well as RAD: with info from CLI, I
>get told all the standard junk, BUT my disks have the alleged capacity of 837K
> (including RAD: mounted with 80 cylinders). Now, I know it ain't so because
>when I check with a different system disk, I get told that my disks are 880k,
>like they are supposed to be. There are two questions. First, does ARP have
>anything to do with it (nothing showed up on the virus-checker), second, does
>anybody know what causes the effect.

ARP is the reason for the discrepancy. It uses a different method of calulating
bytes available.

The CBM INFO command tells you 880K, based upon 1760 blocks, 512 bytes per
block, resulting in 901120 bytes, which is exactly 880K (901120/1024).

The ARP INFO command tells you 837K, based on 1760 blocks, minus the root
block, bitmap block, and the two reserved blocks, leaving 1756 blocks. They
also calculate block size as 488 bytes, which is the actual number of data
bytes present in an OFS block. This gives you 1756*488 = 856928 bytes, or about
836.8K (856928/1024).

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

oleg@pnet01.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) (04/09/90)

I have a slight problem. When checking my Workbench1.3 disk, (a working copy
with ARP1.3 installed) and other diss as well as RAD: with info from CLI, I
get told all the standard junk, BUT my disks have the alleged capacity of 837K
 (including RAD: mounted with 80 cylinders). Now, I know it ain't so because
when I check with a different system disk, I get told that my disks are 880k,
like they are supposed to be. There are two questions. First, does ARP have
anything to do with it (nothing showed up on the virus-checker), second, does
anybody know what causes the effect.
 Just Curious,
 OR
* THOSE DO NOT GET SERVED WHO ONLY SIT AND WAIT.        | Post no bills     |*

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!oleg
ARPA: crash!pnet01!oleg@nosc.mil
INET: oleg@pnet01.cts.com

In <2623676e:1329.1comp.sys.amiga.tech;1@tronsbox.UUCP>, dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:
>	I've been using a command called DSPACE, and *it* says that my disks
>have a capacity of ~901K....
>
>	Eh, they're all in the ballpark.  :-)

Ballpark? Well, 901K is actually in the ballpark if you count a K as 1000, and
if you are interested in counting all the overhead bytes. I'm
not a lumber dealer, so I count K as 1024.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (04/12/90)

	RE INFO discrepancies

	ARP documentation claims that their INFO returns the formatted capacity
of the disk, which they say is lower than 880K.

	I've been using a command called DSPACE, and *it* says that my disks
have a capacity of ~901K....

	Eh, they're all in the ballpark.  :-)

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Great spirits have always
dfrancis@tronsbox		|   encountered violent opposition
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   from mediocre minds"
Killer GM- Reasonable fees	|   --Albert Einstein