[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga 1000 boot ROMs

danbabcock@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (04/11/90)

Markus Wandel wrote in <23080@watdragon.waterloo.edu>:
(some stuff deleted for brevity)

> How do you kickstart an A1000 off something other than its internal floppy
> drive?  The reason I ask is that a hard disk interface made by Comspec
> for the A1000 actually kickstarted off the hard disk, so it must be possible.

There is indeed a hook in the A1000 boot ROMs. Here it is:

(note that a few trivial things are done before this)
cmpi.w #$1111,$f00000
bne.s continue
move.w #$fff,$dff180
lea $f800ee,a5 ;return address
move.l $f00004,a0
jmp (a0)
continue:

Does this look familiar (grin)?

> I'm aware that a commented disassembly of the A1000 boot ROM exists
> and has been published, but I've never seen it.

I have it! It's part of a book called "Dr. Ruprecht's Kommentiertes
ROM Listing". The book also includes an Exec disassembly (not nearly as
good as yours!). The boot ROM is 8K, so the listing is rather long.
If you'd like, I'll mail the book to you, you can extract whatever info
you want, and mail it back when you're finished.

Lastly, I'd like to publicly thank you for your *brilliant* Exec
disassembly. If someone on the net doesn't have this, download it
immediately! Othwewise, you're just spinning your wheels when it comes
to untangling knotty Exec programming issues. Markus Wandel has done
more for the Amiga community than anyone I can think of. Thanks!!!

> Markus Wandel
> mwandel@tiger.waterloo.edu
> (519) 884-9547

-- Dan Babcock / voice (412)-373-1753

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (04/12/90)

On 10 Apr 90 21:49:06 GMT, danbabcock@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) said:

danbabcock> Markus Wandel wrote in <23080@watdragon.waterloo.edu>:
danbabcock> (some stuff deleted for brevity)

Markus> How do you kickstart an A1000 off something other than its
Markus> internal floppy drive?  The reason I ask is that a hard disk
Markus> interface made by Comspec for the A1000 actually kickstarted
Markus> off the hard disk, so it must be possible.

danbabcock> There is indeed a hook in the A1000 boot ROMs. Here it is:

danbabcock> (note that a few trivial things are done before this)
danbabcock> cmpi.w #$1111,$f00000
danbabcock> bne.s continue
danbabcock> move.w #$fff,$dff180
danbabcock> lea $f800ee,a5 ;return address
danbabcock> move.l $f00004,a0
danbabcock> jmp (a0)
danbabcock> continue:

danbabcock> Does this look familiar (grin)?

It looks sort of like the code for the ColdStart vector...  or are you
alluding to something else?

danbabcock> Lastly, I'd like to publicly thank you for your
danbabcock> *brilliant* Exec disassembly. If someone on the net
danbabcock> doesn't have this, download it immediately! Othwewise,
danbabcock> you're just spinning your wheels when it comes to
danbabcock> untangling knotty Exec programming issues. Markus Wandel
danbabcock> has done more for the Amiga community than anyone I can
danbabcock> think of. Thanks!!!

I'll second this.  It is an excellent tool -- not a simple
disassembly, but a highly commented one.  And data is not
disassembled.  It was well done, and is well worth getting.

[I'll leave the address in.]

Markus> Markus Wandel
Markus> mwandel@tiger.waterloo.edu
Markus> (519) 884-9547

--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327