[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AmigaDos Executable Format

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (04/12/90)

In article <3323@altos86.Altos.COM> clp@altos86.Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
>I assume that the MANX C 3.6a loader produces a standard AmigaDos
>format executable.  What does an AmigaDos program header look like?
>Of course the MANX manual does not mention anything about this;
>and I can't find any store which carries the Amiga Dos Technical
>Manual (if such a thing actually exists).  Thanks.

At one time, there were 3 separate manuals.
1. The AmigaDOS User's Manual
  1.1 Introducing AmigaDOS
  1.2 AmigaDOS Commands
  1.3 ED -- The Screen Editor
  1.4 EDIT -- The Line Editor
  1.5 Error Codes and Messages
2. The AmigaDOS Developer's Manual
  2.1 Programming on the Amiga
  2.2 Calling AmigaDOS
  2.3 The Macro Assembler
  2.4 The Linker
  2.5 Console Input and Output
3. The AmigaDOS Technical Reference Manual
  3.1 The Filing System
  3.2 Amiga Binary File Structure
  3.3 AmigaDOS Data Structures
  3.4 Additional Information for the Advanced Developer

Section 3.2 describes the object file structure and hunk types.

For release 1.2, all three manuals were combined.  The combination is:

	The AmigaDOS Manual, 2nd Edition
	(The Bantam Amiga Library)
	ISBN 0-553-34440-0

It says: "Ask your bookseller for the books you have missed or order
direct from Bantam by calling 800-223-6834 ext 479.  (In New York,
please call 212-765-6500 ext 479.)"
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (04/12/90)

On 12 Apr 90 06:05:39 GMT, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) said:

jms> At one time, there were 3 separate manuals.
jms> 1. The AmigaDOS User's Manual
jms> 2. The AmigaDOS Developer's Manual
jms> 3. The AmigaDOS Technical Reference Manual

jms> For release 1.2, all three manuals were combined.  The combination is:

For release 1.1; I have a copy of this combined manual (a friend's
actually) which must be 1.1; I've seen the "newest" version in the
store which looks more or less identical, but is expanded to cover
AmigaDOS V1.2...  Why isn't there one for V1.3?  I don't know.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (04/13/90)

In article <DEVEN.90Apr12054424@netserv2.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

>On 12 Apr 90 06:05:39 GMT, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) said:
>
>jms> At one time, there were 3 separate manuals.
>jms> 1. The AmigaDOS User's Manual
>jms> 2. The AmigaDOS Developer's Manual
>jms> 3. The AmigaDOS Technical Reference Manual
>
>jms> For release 1.2, all three manuals were combined.  The combination is:
>
>For release 1.1; I have a copy of this combined manual (a friend's
>actually) which must be 1.1; I've seen the "newest" version in the
>store which looks more or less identical, but is expanded to cover
>AmigaDOS V1.2...  Why isn't there one for V1.3?  I don't know.

The Bantam AmigaDOS book indeed combines all three of the volumes
you refer to.  It was issued for 1.1, and revised for 1.2.  For 1.3,
there were really no technical changes to AmigaDOS (excepting FFS).
The changes were Shell and c: command-related, and those are covered
quite well in the Enhancer 1.3 book.

>Deven

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com