[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DisplayBeep

mks@cbmvax.commodore.com (Michael Sinz - CATS) (04/07/90)

In article <1990Apr5.005037.5092@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	From my (small) experience with the Amiga libraries I am of
>the understanding that, when the screen flashes, it is caused by the
>DisplayBeep function. This happens a lot during telecommunications
>with C-g always being interpreted that way. It is also VERY annoying.
>Is there any way to change it to a beep, like the Macs? Perhaps my
>choice of beeps, also like the Mac? Just wondering, it is one of the
>cuter things about Macs. I have a 68020 and use setcpu to copy
>kickstart to fastrom, if that is required.

The way to do this is to SetFunction() the DisplayBeep() call.
There are many untilities that do this...

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          "I don't think so," said Ren'e Descartes.             |
| \XX/                    Just then, he vanished.                      |

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (04/07/90)

In article <1990Apr5.005037.5092@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>with C-g always being interpreted that way. It is also VERY annoying.
>Is there any way to change it to a beep, like the Macs? Perhaps my
>choice of beeps, also like the Mac? Just wondering, it is one of the
>cuter things about Macs. I have a 68020 and use setcpu to copy
>kickstart to fastrom, if that is required.
>	Thanks,
>	-- Ethan

Fish:217  InstallBeep

This program replaces the DisplayBeep function so that an
IFF 8SVX sound is played instead of the screen flashing.
The PlayBeep function runs as a task in the background and
runs asynchronously so the length of the sound does not
slow anything down.  Includes a couple of sample sound
files.  Version 1.1, binary only.
Author:  Tim Friest and Don Withey

>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

Phil Nelson . UUCP:uunet!pyramid!oliveb!tymix!pnelson . Voice:408-922-7508
Perhaps the reason the modern liberal so disdains the 2nd amendment, and so
loves the 1st, is that the 2nd protects our right to take action in defense
of liberty, while the 1st protects our right to talk about it.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (04/09/90)

What you want is a utility called InstallBeep, which allows you to replace
the display flash with your choice of any SMUS sound file.  I got a copy
on a local bbs system - it might be available on a Fish disk, but I don't
know.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa

Eric.Sanders@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Eric Sanders) (04/14/90)

There is a program called JrBeep that comes with the shareware
telecommunications program JRComm, ( an excellent program).  Thie will
do just what you're talking about.

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Eric Sanders - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!210!Eric.Sanders
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Eric.Sanders@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG