[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Screens flipping to non-interlace for no good reason

In <5651@sugar.hackercorp.com>, karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>I'm having a problem, although it could certainly be a bug in my stuff, where
>I'm trying to open different screens of different sizes and resolutions
>and calling ScreenToFront() on them a bunch, and opening and closing screens
>a bunch.
>
>The problem is, sometimes an interlaced screen that's already loaded will,
>when a ScreenToFront is done on that screen, come up as non-interlaced and
>only show half the picture in the normal screen area.
>
>I thought it was my code for sure until it happened to the workbench screen
>(I normally run with an interlace workbench).  A crash quickly follows.
>
>So, has anybody else seen this?  Peter thought he'd seen something on the
>net about it in the not too distant past.

Yes, it is an Intuition bug. There is a freely distributable patch floating
around called 'fixintuition' that will cure the problem.

-larry

--
NeXT. The hardware makes it a PC. The software makes it a workstation.
      The units shipped makes it a mainframe.  -=stolen from Hazy=-

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (05/02/90)

I'm having a problem, although it could certainly be a bug in my stuff, where
I'm trying to open different screens of different sizes and resolutions
and calling ScreenToFront() on them a bunch, and opening and closing screens
a bunch.

The problem is, sometimes an interlaced screen that's already loaded will,
when a ScreenToFront is done on that screen, come up as non-interlaced and
only show half the picture in the normal screen area.

I thought it was my code for sure until it happened to the workbench screen
(I normally run with an interlace workbench).  A crash quickly follows.

So, has anybody else seen this?  Peter thought he'd seen something on the
net about it in the not too distant past.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

pfalstad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul John Falstad) (05/02/90)

In article <5651@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>The problem is, sometimes an interlaced screen that's already loaded will,
>when a ScreenToFront is done on that screen, come up as non-interlaced and
>only show half the picture in the normal screen area.
>
>I thought it was my code for sure until it happened to the workbench screen
>(I normally run with an interlace workbench).  A crash quickly follows.

I've had the same problem.  I have an interlaced workbench as well, and
I have a program that opens a 320x180x5 screen in back of WB
(TopEdge = 20) and brings it to front when it's finished initializing
it.  Almost every time, though, when it brings it to front, the
workbench screen (20 lines of it) just above it changes to
NON-interlaced -- that is, it displays every other scan line.  A crash
usually follows.  Bug in Intuition perhaps??

--
Paul Falstad      INTERNET: pfalstad@phoenix.princeton.edu
PLink: HYPNOS     GEnie: P.FALSTAD  CIS:70016,1355

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (05/02/90)

In article <5651@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>The problem is, sometimes an interlaced screen that's already loaded will,
>when a ScreenToFront is done on that screen, come up as non-interlaced and
>only show half the picture in the normal screen area.
 [...]
>(I normally run with an interlace workbench).  A crash quickly follows.

This is a problem with Intuition that has been known for some time. Hopefully
it has been fixed in 2.0

vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (05/03/90)

In article <15911@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pfalstad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul John Falstad) writes:
>In article <5651@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>>The problem is, sometimes an interlaced screen that's already loaded will,
>>when a ScreenToFront is done on that screen, come up as non-interlaced and
>>only show half the picture in the normal screen area.
>>
>>I thought it was my code for sure until it happened to the workbench screen
>>(I normally run with an interlace workbench).  A crash quickly follows.

Finally!!! I've been griping about this bug for about 3 years!!!!!

It seems some intuition View structures or other get corrupted during depth-
changing which causes the delacing/crash.  A program which runs in the
background repairing the structures was written by someone some months ago.

I used to crash my maching daily because my wb and editor were interlaced and
I was writing a program which openned a non-interlaced screen.  Since the fix...
no crashes!!!

If you mail me, I can mail you a uuencoded copy if you want...

-vince

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (05/03/90)

In article <5651@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>The problem is, sometimes an interlaced screen that's already loaded will,
>when a ScreenToFront is done on that screen, come up as non-interlaced and
>only show half the picture in the normal screen area.

I believe that 'SetLace' will avoid this problem since, with it, all
screens are interlaced.  Flicker isn't very noticeable on my monitor,
so I prefer interlaced video to video with black gaps between scan
lines.

--Rich

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (05/03/90)

In article <24470@usc.edu> addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) writes:
>I believe that 'SetLace' will avoid this problem since, with it, all

No it won't.  I use setlace and I still crashed.  Now I use FixIntuition.
                -- Darren