[comp.sys.amiga.tech] TeX - an idea to improve it

ONM29@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (04/30/90)

Hello,

We have transported PD-Versions of TeX3.0 to the Amiga, which includes
a version of GNUTeX (GNUPLOT). Also, we have converted the
X-Windows R11.4 version of pbm/pgm/ppm and added some programs
that convert pbm to pk- or px-Files that can be easily included
into every document using any TeX-compiler. So, every format that
can be converted to PBM (I think these are about 40) can be easily
included. Further, we converted
FIG to work on a standard AMIGA, which produces the pictures we
include on our workstation. However, we are still searching
for a source of FIG2LATEX. Anybody has an idea? FIG2POSTSCRIPT
and the likes are working properly.

Frank Wuebbeling (onm29@dmswwu1a.bitnet)

ONM29@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (05/03/90)

I think part of my message didn't make it, so I repost it here.

We ported several Graphics-systems for UNIX-systems to the amiga.
Among these are:
- ppm/pgm/pbm, with printer-support and programs to convert the
  resulting bitmaps into pk-pxl-Files to include them into any
  \TeX-Output.
- GNUTeX, for curves and functions in \LaTeX.
- FIG. However, we still lack FIG2LATEX. Where can I get a source?
  I feel that this program is quite a final answer to including
  graphics in \LaTeX, as it is easy-to-use.
- Our PD-TeX3.0-Distribution now can include pbm directly,
  using \special-commands for the DVI-drivers.
Description of ppm/pgm/pbm follows:

In fixed intervals, programs for converting graphics standards are
asked from this group. I have translated pbmplus for the AMIGA and
added a limited printer-support (24-pin, 9-pin, LASERJET).
Our TeX-distribution no also supports including pbm-Pictures and
has an option for pbm-output.

pbmplus handles a lot of formats, and does some calculations on them
(printing using pbmplus-tools gives excellent output).

Here is a list of what is available:
#begin INCLUDE README
                  Extended Portable Bitmap Toolkit
                      Distribution of 22nov89
                   Previous distribution 13sep89

Included are a number of programs for converting various image formats
to and from portable formats; plus some tools for manipulating the
portable formats.  The package is broken up into four parts (five parts
if you count this one, the zeroth part).  First is PBM, for bitmaps (1
bit per pixel).  Then there is PGM, for grayscale images.  Next is PPM,
for full-color images.  Last, there is PNM, which does content-independent
manipulations on any of the three formats.

These parts are semi-independent; if you're only going to deal with
bitmaps, you don't have to install PGM and PPM, and this makes PNM run
faster; if you want PGM, you must install PBM but can leave PPM out;
but if you want PPM, you must install both PGM and PBM.  PNM is
optional but recommended.

I've tested this stuff under 4.2 BSD, 4.3 BSD, on Sun 3's 4's and 386's
and Sequents and Vaxen, with cc and gcc.  Nevertheless, I'm sure bugs
remain.  Feedback is welcome; send bug reports, enhancements, checks,
money orders, etc. to the addresses below.  Be sure to mention what
version you have when sending bug reports!

    Jef Poskanzer
    jef@well.sf.ca.us
    {ucbvax, lll-crg, sun!pacbell, apple, hplabs}!well!jef

Files in pbmplus.shar:

    README  this
    CHANGES  list of changes between the various versions of PBM
    FORMATS  list of the formats supported
    OTHER.SYSTEMS list of other free image-processing software
    TIPS  useful techniques and rules of thumb for PBM
    Makefile  guess
    Imakefile  for X11-type installations
    pbmplus.h  header file for PBM, PGM, PPM, and PNM

    compataliases csh script for compatibility with old versions

Files in pbm.shar?:

    Makefile  guess
    Imakefile  for X11-type installations

    brushtopbm.c convert Xerox doodle brushes to portable bitmap
    cmuwmtopbm.c convert CMU window manager format to portable bitmap
    g3topbm.c  convert Group 3 FAX to portable bitmap
    icontopbm.c  convert Sun icon to portable bitmap
    gemtopbm.c  convert GEM .img format to portable bitmap
    macptopbm.c  convert MacPaint to portable bitmap
    mgrtopbm.c  convert MGR format to portable bitmap
    pcxtopbm.c  convert PC paintbrush format to portable bitmap
    picttopbm.c  convert PICT to portable bitmap
    rasttopbm.c  convert Sun raster to portable bitmap
    xbmtopbm.c  convert X10 or X11 bitmap to portable bitmap
    xwdtopbm.c  convert X10 or X11 window dump to portable bitmap

    pbmtoascii.c convert portable bitmap to ASCII graphic form
    pbmtobbnbg.c convert portable bitmap to BBN BitGraph graphics
    pbmtocmuwm.c convert portable bitmap to CMU window manager format
    pbmtog3.c  convert portable bitmap to Group 3 FAX
    pbmtogo.c  convert portable bitmap to GraphOn graphics
    pbmtoicon.c  convert portable bitmap to Sun icon
    pbmtolj.c  convert portable bitmap to HP LaserJet
    pbmtomacp.c  convert portable bitmap to MacPaint
    pbmtomgr.c  convert portable bitmap to MGR format
    pbmtoptx.c  convert portable bitmap to Printronix
    pbmtorast.c  convert portable bitmap to Sun raster
    pbmtoxbm.c  convert portable bitmap to X11 bitmap
    pbmtox10bm.c convert portable bitmap to X10 bitmap
    pbmtoxwd.c  convert portable bitmap to X11 window dump

    pbmlife.c  apply Conway's rules of Life to a portable bitmap
    pbmmake.c  create a blank bitmap of a specified size
    pbmmask.c  create a mask bitmap from a regular bitmap
    pbmpaste.c  paste a rectangle into a portable bitmap
    pbmreduce.c  reduce a portable bitmap N times, using Floyd-Steinberg
    pbmupc.c  create a Universal Product Code bitmap

    libpbm[1-5].c a few utility routines
    pbm.h  header file for libpbm
    libpbm.h  internal header file for libpbm
    g3.h  definitions for Group 3 FAX
    macp.h  definitions for MacPaint files
    pict.h  definitions for PICT files
    rast.h  definitions for Sun raster files
    x10wd.h  definitions for X10 window dumps
    x11wd.h  definitions for X11 window dumps
    bitreverse.h useful include file
    *.1   manual entries for all of the tools
    pbm.5  manual entry for the pbm format
    libpbm.3  manual entry for the pbm library

Files in pgm.shar?:

    Makefile  guess
    Imakefile  for X11-type installations

    fitstopgm.c  convert FITS format to portable graymap
    fstopgm.c  convert Usenix FaceSaver file to portable graymap
    hipstopgm.c  convert HIPS format to portable graymap
    psidtopgm.c  convert PostScript "image" data to portable graymap
    rawtopgm.c  convert raw grayscale bytes to portable graymap
    tifftopgm.c  convert TIFF format to portable graymap

    pgmtofits.c  convert portable graymap to FITS format
    pgmtopbm.c  convert portable graymap to portable bitmap
    pgmtops.c  convert portable graymap to Encapsulated PostScript

    pgmenhance.c edge-enhance a portable graymap
    pgmhist.c  print a histogram of the values in a portable graymap
    pgmnorm.c  normalize contrast in a portable graymap

    libpgm[1-3].c a few utility routines
    pgm.h  header file for libpgm
    libpgm.h  internal header file for libpgm
    dithers.h  useful include file
    tiff.h  definitions for TIFF files
    *.1   manual entries for all of the tools
    pgm.5  manual entry for the pgm format
    libpgm.3  manual entry for the pgm library

Files in ppm.shar?:

    Makefile  guess
    Imakefile  for X11-type installations

    giftoppm.c  convert GIF to portable pixmap
    ilbmtoppm.c  convert Amiga IFF ILBM to portable pixmap
    imgtoppm.c  convert Img-whatnot to portable pixmap
    mtvtoppm.c  convert MTV ray-tracer output to portable pixmap
    qrttoppm.c  convert QRT ray-tracer output to portable pixmap
    rasttoppm.c  convert Sun raster file to portable pixmap
    tgatoppm.c  convert TrueVision Targa file to portable pixmap
    xwdtoppm.c  convert color X10 or X11 window dump to portable pixmap

    ppmtogif.c  convert portable pixmap to GIF
    ppmtoilbm.c  convert portable pixmap to Amiga IFF ILBM
    ppmtopgm.c  convert portable pixmap to portable graymap
    ppmtops.c  convert portable pixmap to color Encapsulated PostScript
    ppmtorast.c  convert portable pixmap to Sun raster file
    ppmtoxwd.c  convert portable pixmap to color X11 window dump

    ppmarith.c  perform arithmetic on two portable pixmaps
    ppmconvol.c  general MxN convolution on a portable pixmap
    ppmcscale.c  scale the colors in a portable pixmap
    ppmpat.c  create a pretty pixmap
    ppmquant.c  quantize colors down to a specified number
    ppmrotate.c  rotate a portable pixmap
    ppmscale.c  scale a portable pixmap
    ppmshear.c  shear a portable pixmap
    ppmhist.c  print a histogram of a portable pixmap

    convolscripts/* ppmconvol scripts

    libppm[1-5].c a few utility routines
    ppm.h  header file for libppm
    ppmcmap.h  header file for colormap routines in libppm
    ppmdraw.h  header file for simple drawing routines in libppm
    libppm.h  internal header file for libppm
    tga.h  definitions for TrueVision Targa files
    *.1   manual entries for all of the tools
    ppm.5  manual entry for the ppm format
    libppm.3  manual entry for the ppm library

Files in pnm.shar?:

    Makefile  guess
    Imakefile  for X11-type installations

    pnmcat.c  concatenate portable anymaps
    pnmcrop.c  crop all like-colored borders off a portable anymap
    pnmcut.c  select a rectangular region from a portable anymap
    pnmenlarge.c enlarge a portable anymap N times
    pnmflip.c  perform one or more flip operations on a portable anymap
    pnminvert.c  invert a portable anymap
    pnmpaste.c  paste a rectangle into a portable anymap
    pnmtile.c  replicate a portable anymap into a specified size

    libpnm[1-4].c a few utility routines
    pnm.h  header file for libpnm
    *.1   manual entries for all of the tools
    pnm.5  manual entry for the pnm format
    libpnm.3  manual entry for the pnm library

#end INCLUDE README
Although translation using AZTEC was simple (and *impossible* using
LATTICE due to ridiculous compiler-bugs), most of the programs have
not been tested and thus may be buggy. The distribution will contain
about 3M of programs and sources, so distribution by E-mail does not
seem appropriate. However, I of course need beta-testers. Is there a
need for this? How can I distribute the beta-versions easily?

Waiting for replies,
Frank Wuebbeling (ONM29@DMSWWU1A.BITNET)

matth@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Matthew Hannigan) (05/04/90)

In article <9005031222.AA13239@tubbs.dmswwu-ether> ONM29@DMSWWU1A.BITNET writes:
>I think part of my message didn't make it, so I repost it here.
>
>We ported several Graphics-systems for UNIX-systems to the amiga.
>Among these are:
>- ppm/pgm/pbm, with printer-support and programs to convert the
>  resulting bitmaps into pk-pxl-Files to include them into any
>  \TeX-Output.
>- GNUTeX, for curves and functions in \LaTeX.
>- FIG. However, we still lack FIG2LATEX. Where can I get a source?
>  I feel that this program is quite a final answer to including
>  graphics in \LaTeX, as it is easy-to-use.
>- Our PD-TeX3.0-Distribution now can include pbm directly,
>  using \special-commands for the DVI-drivers.
>Description of ppm/pgm/pbm follows:
[rest deleted]

Please make this stuff available for others, if you're
willing. If it is too big to post on comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga,
could you give it Fred Fish to put on a disk?

Thanks in advance,

Matt