[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Custom AmigaDOS DEVS.

panon@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Paul-Andre Panon) (05/05/90)

In article <1176@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>In article <508@lily.warwick.ac.uk>, cstxqbt@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP of Truth and Justice) writes:
>>   Here, is a subject that does not seem to be documented much. I would like
>> to write my own AmigaDOS device. I have looked at all the information I have
>> and all I can work out is that when you have to have a handler file. This
>> handler file is specified in the entry in the MountList file. I have had a
>> look at the handler files on my disks. I know they are executable files. They
>> all seem to have a funny first word. What is this for?
>[...some other stuff deleted...]
>
>First, get ye to ye ol' computer bookstore and purchase the official bible
>of AmigaDOS devices:  "The AmigaDOS ROM Kernal Manual: Libraries and Devices"
>from the fine folk at Addison-Wessley.  Everything you'll need to know is
>in there.  There are three (maybe more with the new editions) other books
>in this series, RKM: Exec, RKM: Intuition, and RKM: Hardware.

Except for writing AmigaDOS HANDLERS which, from the rest of his message
(Mountlist, handler file, etc.), seems to be what he really wants. What little
info which is available on this is contained in what I think is called the
AmigaDOS Developer's guide (or is it the AMIGADOS Technical Reference Manual?)
which is the third and last section of "The AMIGADOS Manual" published by
Bantam books (the one that documents the CLI). There are PD example handlers
out there (Matt Dillon's PIP(E?): device) although they seem to use a mix of C
and assembler. I would think that with the recent changes in both Lattice and
Manx C compilers it should now be possible to write handlers and exec
libraries/devices completely in C, but I haven't come across source code for
that yet. Pointers to such code (all-C handlers, libraries, or devices)
would be appreciated.

>Remember the 11th commandment:
>
>    "Thou shalt not hack AmigaDOS without RKMs at thy side"

Good Idea. (seen "Never Cry Wolf" lately? :-))

--
    Paul-Andre_Panon@staff.ucs.ubc.ca        or    USERPAP1@UBCMTSG
or  Paul-Andre_Panon@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca     or    USERPAP1@mtsg.ubc.ca