[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Custon AmigaDOS DEVS.

cstxqbt@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP of Truth and Justice) (05/02/90)

Hi.

  Here, is a subject that does not seem to be documented much. I would like
to write my own AmigaDOS device. I have looked at all the information I have
and all I can work out is that when you have to have a handler file. This
handler file is specified in the entry in the MountList file. I have had a
look at the handler files on my disks. I know they are executable files. They
all seem to have a funny first word. What is this for? What are the registers
set to on execution of the handler? The only reference to them I have is in
the Kickstart guide to the Amiga, but this does not go into any detail about
anything. From that I gather that the handler runs as a process through which
the I/O is performed. How is it done? I assumed it was done by the Exec
MsgPort in the process structure. Is this so? What protocol is needed? I need
to handle reads writes and closes. How do I recognise these and what do I do
if its something I am not intrested in? I also need to know the stuff after
the device name. So if the user opens "MYDEV:blerb" I need to know the blerb.
  If no one answers this I might just have to resort to hacking Populous.
There's some interesting copy portection!

- CrisP.

What's a .sig file?

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (05/03/90)

In article <508@lily.warwick.ac.uk>, cstxqbt@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP of Truth and Justice) writes:
>   Here, is a subject that does not seem to be documented much. I would like
> to write my own AmigaDOS device. I have looked at all the information I have
> and all I can work out is that when you have to have a handler file. This
> handler file is specified in the entry in the MountList file. I have had a
> look at the handler files on my disks. I know they are executable files. They
> all seem to have a funny first word. What is this for?
[...some other stuff deleted...]

First, get ye to ye ol' computer bookstore and purchase the official bible
of AmigaDOS devices:  "The AmigaDOS ROM Kernal Manual: Libraries and Devices"
from the fine folk at Addison-Wessley.  Everything you'll need to know is
in there.  There are three (maybe more with the new editions) other books
in this series, RKM: Exec, RKM: Intuition, and RKM: Hardware.

I'm sure you've heard us speak of the RKM books.  These are they.  Remember
the 11th commandment:

    "Thou shalt not hack AmigaDOS without RKMs at thy side"

(a large smiley 8-> goes with this message)

--
  .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \

ewout@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ewout Walraven - CATS) (05/05/90)

In article <1176@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:

>First, get ye to ye ol' computer bookstore and purchase the official bible
>of AmigaDOS devices:  "The AmigaDOS ROM Kernal Manual: Libraries and Devices"
>from the fine folk at Addison-Wessley.  Everything you'll need to know is
>in there.  There are three (maybe more with the new editions) other books
>in this series, RKM: Exec, RKM: Intuition, and RKM: Hardware.
>
>I'm sure you've heard us speak of the RKM books.  These are they.  Remember
>the 11th commandment:

This information is somewhat outdated. Current 1.3 volumes are:

Amiga RKM Reference Manual: Libraries & Devices (includes Exec & Intuition)
ISBN 0-201-18187-8
Amiga RKM Reference Manual: Includes & Autodocs
ISBN 0-201-18177-0
Amiga Hardware Reference Manual
ISBN 0-201-18157-6

ec.

rrogers@sumax.UUCP (SuedeHead) (05/06/90)

>>   Here, is a subject that does not seem to be documented much. I would like
>> to write my own AmigaDOS device. I have looked at all the information I have

>First, get ye to ye ol' computer bookstore and purchase the official bible
>of AmigaDOS devices:  "The AmigaDOS ROM Kernal Manual: Libraries and Devices"
>from the fine folk at Addison-Wessley.  Everything you'll need to know is
>in there.  There are three (maybe more with the new editions) other books

Well, I've got the Lib & Dev RKM (granted it's not the latest version) and
they give absolutely _NO_ info on how to make AmigaDOS device handlers.  It
does cover Exec devices (sort of).

There is some scant documentation on AmigaDOS handlers in Bantam's AmigaDOS
Technical Reference Manual.  3.8.1 gives the packet formats for the various
commands and a faily useless BCPL skeleton handler starting on page 293 in
my edition.

There are some better examples in C  floating around (Like Matt Dillon's and
CBM's).  I'll be happy to send these to anyone interested.

I'm working on a SCRIPT: handler using a second process similar to Dillon's
debugging process and it's crashing badly.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone
out there that really understands how to write handlers.