[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Seagate drive and Twilight Zone

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (05/08/90)

[]

My 65meg Seagate ST277N is posessed. I died quietly a couple of nights
ago. And when I turn it on, it spins up ok, sounds normal, but the
activity light blinks 9 times as some sort of internal error code.

Anyone know what the 9 flashes mean? One of Seagate's techs looked down
his list from the manual, and it covered 1 to 6 and 8 (7 flashes were
not assigned). But no 9!

What gives?

                                                      *** mike smithwick ***
"This is a tale of sex, lies and junkfood" - Twin Peaks

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

{comp.sys.amiga.tech}
{Re: Seagate drive and Twilight Zone}

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) in <48913@ames.arc.nasa.gov> writes:

"	My 65meg Seagate ST277N is posessed. I died quietly a couple of nights
	ago. And when I turn it on, it spins up ok, sounds normal, but the
	activity light blinks 9 times as some sort of internal error code.

	Anyone know what the 9 flashes mean? One of Seagate's techs looked down
	his list from the manual, and it covered 1 to 6 and 8 (7 flashes were
	not assigned). But no 9!

	What gives?
"
As the hundreds of people whom I've helped with their Seagate drive problems
will attest, I have *NO* respect for Seagate, its products, its (alleged)
technical support, etc.   Just had to post another help response to the
comp.sys.att newsgroup just yesterday ... more dying ST251 that don't spin up.

As usual, Seagate doesn't know its own products' specifications.

From the "Seagate ST277N Product Manual", Seagate publication 36034-001,
Revision B, on pages 2-4 thru 2-5:

Flashes	Problem
-------	------------------------------------------
1	Failure of microprocessor/internal memory

2	Microprocessor ROM checksum failure

3	controller failed to initialize

4	controller program RAM failure

5	data buffer RAM failure

6	failure to attain and/or maintain spindle speed

7	Unable to find record ID mark for any record

8	failure to read operating system from drive

9	operating system read from drive is invalid

Mike, I suggest you toss that drive out the window and over the fence. I'd
invite you here to toss it out my window and over the fence, but I've had
to had the fence repaired thrice during the past 4 years (most recently
just last week at $1,000); yeah, there's a lot of crap software and hardware
I've tossed out the window and behind that fence since 1985 as several other
readers of this newsgroup will attest; that pile of crap includes ten ST251
drives from, Guess Who?, Seagate.

Thad

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (05/09/90)

In article <48913@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:

>My 65meg Seagate ST277N is posessed. I died quietly a couple of nights
>ago.                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^

Boy, that drive sure is possesed!  It has already claimed one life, who knows
what'll happen next.  My only question is if you died a few nights ago, how
are you posting to the net?  Have the same forces that so mericlessly took
your drive now taken over and animated your dead body, only to spread evil
across the world throught the Internet?   :-)  :-)

Sorry -- couldn't resist.

"The machine minded material man                    Logan Shaw
 desperately dreams of a brand new sedan.           lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Wlll he expect long lasting gain                   ========================
 from a toy that will race then rust in the rain?" - elim Hall, Things Break

dailey@cpsin2.uucp (Chris Dailey) (05/09/90)

In article <29724@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>{Re: Seagate drive and Twilight Zone}
>[...] yeah, there's a lot of crap software and hardware
>I've tossed out the window and behind that fence since 1985 as several other
>readers of this newsgroup will attest; that pile of crap includes ten ST251
>drives from, Guess Who?, Seagate.

Strange, we've purchased four Seagate drives here at work for our PC's
and they've been EXTREMELY dependable.  A couple of them are ST251's and
a couple more ST251-1's.

--
  /~\  Chris Dailey        (subliminal message:  make WP5.1 for the Amiga)
 C oo  dailey@cpsin1.cps.msu.edu  ('finger' me.  I dare ya.)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/09/90)

In article <48913@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>[]
>
>My 65meg Seagate ST277N is posessed. I died quietly a couple of nights
>ago...                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, are we to assume that it is your own departed spirit that has
possessed your harddrive?  So your possessed harddrive made this
posting, allowing you (now dead) to write through it?   ;^)

The solution is obvious.  We must burn your drive.  This will
release your spirit to go its way, and the drive will no longer
be possessed...                                         ;^)

--
--Steve      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own (I don't speak for Convex)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (05/09/90)

In article <1990May9.122652.4793@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> dailey@cpsin2.uucp (Chris Dailey) writes:
>Strange, we've purchased four Seagate drives here at work for our PC's
>and they've been EXTREMELY dependable.  A couple of them are ST251's and
>a couple more ST251-1's.

Well, the 251's have a bad reputation for refusing to spin up after a year or
so of operation.  This from several people on the net, industry trade rags,
and a buddy of mine who owns a computer store.

We used to have a ST251.  The first one failed after a couple months and was
replaced under warranty.  This is the only drive we have ever had a problem
with, yet we have run four Miniscribe 72 MB drives nonstop for three years,
plus a Maxtor 760 MB drive nonstop for several months.

I canned the ST251 a few months back, replacing it with a Quantum 105 MB SCSI
Prodrive, which has been trouble-free, 'though Quantum has had a few
batches of seriously defective drives themselves...
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018