[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Manx 5.0 state?

klt@utgard.uucp (Ken Thompson) (05/03/90)

>>1.  What's the current state of Manx C v5.0?  Is it stable and working well?
 Paul Falstad's answer:
>Definitely not.  There are a multitude of bugs in it.  I heard that
>5.0b will be coming out soon (may already be out), which will hopefully fix
>most of the known bugs.  Don't get 5.0a unless you want to upgrade again
>right away.                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does that mean that us poor slobs that bought 5.0a will have to shell out
another $75 for a version that works?

Oboy.

klt
        csusac!utgard!pyrgard!klt  (The address in the header is wrong)
	 another in a list of things I claim no responsibility for...

pfalstad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul John Falstad) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May2.121652.8294@utgard.uucp> klt@utgard.uucp (Ken Thompson) writes:
>>most of the known bugs.  Don't get 5.0a unless you want to upgrade again
>>right away.                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Does that mean that us poor slobs that bought 5.0a will have to shell out
>another $75 for a version that works?

Oh no!!!!  Don't worry.  According to the Manx BBS, the cost of 5.0b
will just be shipping and handling.  That's fair, I think.  (although $75
for a buggy version is a little hard to take!)

--
Paul Falstad      INTERNET: pfalstad@phoenix.princeton.edu
PLink: HYPNOS     GEnie: P.FALSTAD  CIS:70016,1355

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (05/09/90)

A few words in the defense of Manx 5.0.  Sure, it has some problems, but by
making heavy use of function prototypes (and it has a command-line option
to read source and generate prototypes), I believe I've cut my coding errors
by about two-thirds.  That is to say that with prototypes, the compiler is
catching 2/3rds of the bugs that I used to have to debug at runtime.

Further, you no longer have to be super-careful to cast all your ints to longs
when calling Amiga library routines from the 16-bit int model, because the
compiler does it for you, again thanks to prototypes, and eliminating a major
source of gurus during the development process.

Also, the code it generates is significantly better if you compile with the
-so option, and it has this #pragma definition for library functions where
it generates the code to call the library routines directly rather than calling
glue routines that pop arguments off the stack and move them into registers,
then calling the library routine from the glue routine, improving performance.

32-bit integers are the default now, which'll make some programs slower unless
you compile with the right switches to get 16-bit ints.  (I'm pretty much of a
fan of 32-bit ints on 32-bit machines anyway and yes, in my opinion, the
68000 is a 32-bit machine -- certainly as much as the 386SX is)

All in all, I would not consider going back to 3.6 for a second.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (05/10/90)

In article <5677@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>A few words in the defense of Manx 5.0.  Sure, it has some problems, but by
  [list of features deleted]

Gee, it's nice to know that Manx has finally caught up to where Lattice was two
major releases ago. :-)

--
 John Meissen ............................... Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
 jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;