[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DNet running under Sun OS 3.5

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (05/28/90)

I know many of you are using DNet with Suns, so I expect no problems with
getting an answer to this little question of mine.

I've installed DNet 2.10 on my Amiga and the Sun 3/50 network at school and
it works ok. However, 2400 bps is not quite good enough when I want to
transfer lots of large files from Sun to Amiga. Therefore, I arranged to
enable a serial port on one of the Suns for login in 19200. This works
perfectly under OS 3.5 in spite of the fact that my sysadm says there is "no
documented kernel support for anything above 9600".

Now for my question:
I have read articles here (or in c.s.a.) saying that some of you use
38400 bps between Sun and Amiga using a terminal program (JRComm
I think) with little or no problems. I know it's not possible to run DNet
in more than 19200, but there are terminal programs that can and naturally
I want to run as fast as I possibly can :-)
Sz in 38400 would be *very* nice...
Can this be done under OS 3.5 or OS 4.0.3? If so, give me some arguments that
I can use on my sysadm! A short description of where and how the parameters
for the serial ports are set would also be nice. No details necessary, just
in genaral (where is the config. file if there is one?)
Also, could you inform me on any other problems I might have to take care of
when using speeds > 19200?

I'm in a little hurry with this, so a quick response would be much
appreciated. For the same reason I prefer emailed answers but I don't go crazy
if you followup.

Mike

--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) (05/28/90)

>In article <981@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:
>
>Now for my question:
>I have read articles here (or in c.s.a.) saying that some of you use
>38400 bps between Sun and Amiga using a terminal program (JRComm
>I think) with little or no problems. I know it's not possible to run DNet
>in more than 19200, but there are terminal programs that can and naturally
>I want to run as fast as I possibly can :-)
>Sz in 38400 would be *very* nice...
>Can this be done under OS 3.5 or OS 4.0.3? If so, give me some arguments that

    I advise not to run DNet faster than 19.2KBaud on the built in serial
    port simply because a standard Amiga cannot receive faster without loosing
    data... you wind up going slower due to packet errors.  That's all.  Since
    both DNet and terminal programs use the serial.device one assumes the
    same problem would occur with the terminal programs.

    People who hack their own serial.device's (for example, to run at MIDI
    speeds without loss of data) can get better results but I do not know of
    any terminal programs that do that.

    And, of course, smart serial cards such as those you can plug into an
    A2000 can usually be run much faster.

    UNIX systems tend to barf on serial at high data rates.  Generally, the
    kernel buffer (usually 256 bytes) will get full before the user task
    has a chance to drain it with read(), causing lost data.  The problem can
    normally be avoided by using a 7-wire (e.g. RTS/CTS) interface which is
    certainly possible if you are directly connected.

    The only limitation with the SUN or whatever is the maximum baud rate the
    serial port hardware understands, and the maximum baud rate supported
    by the IOCTL call.

					-Matt

>      Michael Bergman	       Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
>  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:	 d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
>\X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:	 d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe

--

    Matthew Dillon	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
    891 Regal Rd.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (05/31/90)

In article <dillon.3912@overload.UUCP> dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>In article <981@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:
>>
>>Now for my question:
>>I have read articles here (or in c.s.a.) saying that some of you use
>>38400 bps between Sun and Amiga using a terminal program (JRComm
>
>    I advise not to run DNet faster than 19.2KBaud on the built in serial
>    port simply because a standard Amiga cannot receive faster without loosing
>    data... you wind up going slower due to packet errors.  That's all.  Since
>    both DNet and terminal programs use the serial.device one assumes the
>    same problem would occur with the terminal programs.

While a 68000 Amiga may have trouble, 68020/68030 Amigas don't. Dnet
can send & receive at 38400 with no trouble at all with such.

>    UNIX systems tend to barf on serial at high data rates.  Generally, the
>    kernel buffer (usually 256 bytes) will get full before the user task
>    has a chance to drain it with read(), causing lost data.  The problem can
>    normally be avoided by using a 7-wire (e.g. RTS/CTS) interface which is
>    certainly possible if you are directly connected.

No disagreement here. I have two Amiga's hooked to a Sun 3/260 which
can handle 38400 reception most of the time with only Xon/Xoff. I
would like to try RTS/CTS, but have never gotten any Dnet past 2.01
to completely work (2.01 doesn't support RTS/CTS) and haven't had
the time to try anything but trivial debugging, so ...

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
          "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" ( :^) )