[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga 500 Harddrive questions

ahdinw01@ULKYVX.BITNET (05/31/90)

Networld:

> From: greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp)
> Date: 9 May 90 04:08:35 GMT
[ Info and questions regarding Harddrives/controllers deleted...]

I am also considering a similar setup, namely a 40M drive (Quantum),
controller, and a space for future ram expansions.  This is for a A500 system.
All of Greg's questions apply in addition to:

(for A500)

-  What controllers are preferred (quality, performance, and price)?
-  What controllers autoboot and whose memory, if added, autoconfigures?
-  The GVP setup is nice (kinda high $) but I don't like the ugly switch on the
   front.  Are there side affects to accidentally toggling the switch while
   things are turned on?
-  It is unclear in some adds if additional power supplies and casing is
   necessary.  Therefore, which packages come complete and which have hidden
   costs?
-  How much do the ram expansion board cost unpopulated?
-  Is it possible to have greater than 1M chip ram with internal ram expansion
   such as Inboard, etc..
-  I currently have 1.2 roms.  Is it possible to autoboot with 1.2 :-(.  If
   not, how much for 1.3 roms since 2.0 might be awhile.
-  The cost of the new fatter agnus is relatively expensive(> $100).  Is the
   new chip set being sold in a package deal.  If so, roughly how much.
-  What kind of system performance increase can be realized with the new chip
   set under 1.3 besides the added features the chip inherently give.

I am looking at spending <= $600 for a reputable controller/case/etc. and 40M
Quantum drive with ram expansion possibilities.  IS THIS POSSIBLE and who sales
bargain prices to poor college students.

                              Thanks in advance to any of the above responses:

                              Aaron Dinwiddie
                               ==> Agima <==

BTW, do educational discounts exist for HD systems.

mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) (06/02/90)

In article <2ahdinw01@ULKYVX.bitnet> ahdinw01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:

>(for A500)
>
>-  The GVP setup is nice (kinda high $) but I don't like the ugly switch on the
>   front.  Are there side affects to accidentally toggling the switch while
>   things are turned on?

The GVP manual sez the machine may guru if you don't reboot immediately
after flipping the switch.  However, it's very easy to disable the switch
by unplugging it internally.  I've never had a use for the switch.

>-  It is unclear in some adds if additional power supplies and casing is
>   necessary.  Therefore, which packages come complete and which have hidden
>   costs?

The GVP Impact 500 comes complete (except for extra RAM, which is probably
around $90 per meg these days, max 4 meg in the GVP).

--
-- Alan Bland
-- att!druwy!mab == mab@druwy.ATT.COM