[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Editors for C programming

RDBROWN@UALR.BITNET (06/02/90)

>I am looking for recommendations for the best text editor for C
>programming.  I would like to have {} matching, easy cursor (with mouse
>movement) searches, goto line #, etc.

Quite frankly, I still find MEmacs supplied on the "extras" disk
to be a good all-around editor. It does support 'c' mode, which means
it checks for matching brackets. Goto line number and search (or
search/replace) are also implemented. All of the function keys are
programmable and macros are supported as well. Your own startup
configuration can be saved so it can start in that setup every time.

Best of all since it's located on the extras disk, it's been immediately
available to you all along.

Robert Brown
RDBROWN@UALR.BITNET

u800552@lanl.gov (James R. White) (06/03/90)

The best amiga editor I have used is Aedit, available from

Joe Bostic
DRM Software
1329 Arthur Ave.
Las Vegas, NV  89101

As I recall, it cost between 30-40 dollars.  In my opinion,
it is the best software value I have purchased for my Amiga.
I have used Aedit to write FORTRAN and C source code,
prepare 100+ pages of technical reports, as well as edit
printer drivers! (You can edit binary files with the thing!)
The editor will run either from workbench (it will make
project icons if you want it to), and I use it constantly.
The editor allows you to easily edit files that contain
non-printing characters - these appear in the highlight
color.  For example, a line feed will appear as a red
uppercase L.  The editor has a multiple undo feature that is
essential.

One of the best features of the editor is that it will allow
you to prepare a file containing commands that the editor
will execute. I use the editor in batch files as described
below:

I am working on a program called AmigaPlot, the c source
code is stored in a file called AmigaPlot.c, and must be
liked with the source code stored in the file ScreenDump.c.

The front-end to AmigaPlot.c looks like the following:

 echo ; /*
 ;
 ; to compile this program, just execute this file!
 ;
 FAILAT 50
 ;
 ; delete old object and executable files
 ;
 IF EXISTS AmigaPlot
    Delete AmigaPlot
 ENDIF
 IF EXISTS AmigaPlot.o
    Delete AmigaPlot.o
 ENDIF
 ;
 ; compile ScreenDump if necessary
 ;
 IF NOT EXISTS ScreenDump.o
    echo "ScreenDump.o does not exist - compiling ScreenDump"
    LC > listfile -cwus -b -f -l -v -r ScreenDump
    IF NOT EXISTS ScreenDump.o
       echo "You Screwed Up! - Invoking Aedit"
       aedit ScreenDump.c -w -e Debug.exe
       echo "I hope That Fixed It - Try Again!"
       quit
    ELSE
       echo "Screendump compiled successfully"
       echo "The list file is as follows"
       type Listfile
    ENDIF
 ENDIF
 echo "Compiling AmigaPlot with compiler output directed to listfile"
 LC > listfile -cwus -b -f -l -v -r -Lcdf+ScreenDump.o AmigaPlot
 IF NOT EXISTS AmigaPlot.o
    echo "You Screwed Up! - Invoking Aedit"
    aedit AmigaPlot.c -w -e Debug.exe
    echo "I hope That Fixed It - Try Again!"
    quit
 ELSE
     echo "AmigaPlot compiled successfully - the list file follows"
     type Listfile
 endif
 echo "All Done"
 quit
 */

The debug.exe file looks like the following:

 Buffer 2
 Open Listfile
 /rror/

Thus if the compiler fails to create an object file, this
batch file automatically runs the Aedit editor on the source
file (in Buffer 1) and the compiler output listing (in
Buffer 2), then searches for a string in the compiler output
listing that would point to an error message. Thus when I
say

1> execute AmigaPlot.c

I either get the editor invoked (in the case of no successful compilation)
or a compiled and linked program.

Note also that the AmigaPlot.c file is BOTH the batch file
that makes the code as well as the c-source code for
AmigaPlot.
--
 James R. (Bob) White            ||  U800552@beta.lanl.gov
 Los Alamos National Laboratory  ||  Phone (505)-667-3853 (Work)

BLABC183@KSUVXA.KENT.EDU (06/07/90)

>>I am looking for recommendations for the best text editor for C
>>programming.  I would like to have {} matching, easy cursor (with mouse
>>movement) searches, goto line #, etc.

>Quite frankly, I still find MEmacs supplied on the "extras" disk
>to be a good all-around editor. It does support 'c' mode, which means
>it checks for matching brackets. Goto line number and search (or
>search/replace) are also implemented. All of the function keys are
>programmable and macros are supported as well. Your own startup
>configuration can be saved so it can start in that setup every time.

>Best of all since it's located on the extras disk, it's been immediately
>available to you all along.

>Robert Brown
>RDBROWN@UALR.BITNET

I have been using CygnusEd for about 2 months now and have found it to be quite
useful. This isn't the first editor I have used, I've tried such editors as
MEmacs, Txed and Uedit to name a few. One of the things I have liked the most
about CygnusEd is the use of ARexx scripts, I believe Txed will also work with
ARexx, but I haven't tried this feature.

I use a set of scripts that I received in a program that I got from one of the
local BBS's, the name of the program is Devkit and you can get it by FTP'ing:

	128.214.1.1

Just go to the Fred Fish directory and then to the 'ff297' directory to get the
file. The scripts in the zoo file work with CygnusEd and the Manx C compiler.
I'm using this combination on my A2000, by using the function keys I can compile
the file in the editor window. I believe the macros can be modified for use with
Lattice C also.

The program also does matching of '[','{' and '(' characters. Mouse and cursor
movement is excellent and the pointer will disappear once you start typing
inorder to help unclutter the screen. You can also search, replace and goto line
#...

With Cygnus you can also have multiple configuration files. So depending on the
file extension that is used say '.c' the program will load the '????????.c'
configuration file. I have about 6 such files.

Overall CygnusEd is one of the best programming editors I've seen and I'm glad I
spent the money on it.

Check it out.

////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
// E. Malcolm Crosby -- Student Novell Network Computer Lab Technician       \\
// Kent State University, College of Business Administration (Kent, Ohio)    \\
// Bitnet:	BLABC183@KENTVMS        |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\\
// Internet:	BLABC183@ksuvxa.kent.edu|                                    \\
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                    \\
//   AMIGA  /// A2000/HD, Novell Netware & (Sorry AMI) IBM MS-DOS experience \\
// FOREVER ///  Phone: (W) - (216)-672-3994 / (H) - (216)-673-9271           \\
//     \\\///   Fax:   (W) - (216)-672-2448                                  \\
//      \XX/                                                                 \\
////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/07/90)

In article <8701D66B5B9F2003C6@UALR.BITNET>, RDBROWN@UALR.BITNET writes:
>>I am looking for recommendations for the best text editor for C
>>programming.  I would like to have {} matching, easy cursor (with mouse
>>movement) searches, goto line #, etc.
>
> Quite frankly, I still find MEmacs supplied on the "extras" disk
> to be a good all-around editor.

[some stuff deleted]

> Robert Brown
> RDBROWN@UALR.BITNET

I use CEDPro.  I'm also using UEdit and building up EDT configurations.  My
day job finds me deeply involved with VAX systems, but switching from EDT
to CED isn't obnoxious.  But then again, I'm brain damaged and I've been
doing it for a _gawdawful_ length of time.

--
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \