[comp.sys.amiga.tech] IFF->PCX converter

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (06/05/90)

[Overheard at the Bush-Gorby banquet : "Say Mikhail, what say we play
 a joke on our security guys? At the count of 3, we both yell :
 'HE'S GOT A GUN!'"]

I must convert some IFF pix over to the PCX so they can be viewed on
one of those MS-DOS things. Are there any PD conversion programs
available?

djh@dragon.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (06/07/90)

>  I must convert some IFF pix over to the PCX so they can be viewed on
>  one of those MS-DOS things. Are there any PD conversion programs
>  available?

There's three ways I know of to view Amiga pix on the PC;

1) Just run Dpaint II (PC Version) and copy the files over w/Dos-2-Dos
2) Run my PCView display program - it's on a Fish disk
3) Get yourself a copy of the program called "Graphics Transformer", by
   IMSI; it's a PC program that converts almost anything to anything
   else. A more expensive version of the same thing goes by the name of
   "HiJaak". It handles IFF pics, PC pics and Max pics.
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

jamesb@bushido.uucp (Jim Harvey) (06/08/90)

In article <51009@ames.arc.nasa.gov> smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) writes:

>I must convert some IFF pix over to the PCX so they can be viewed on
>one of those MS-DOS things. Are there any PD conversion programs
>available?

I have used a program called HiJaak on an MS-DOS machine to do this.  Move the
file to an IBM disk with Cross-DOS and HiJaak converts to about a dozen
different graphics formats (many of them FAX).

 -J. Harvey

terry@comcon.UUCP (Terry LaGrone) (06/08/90)

In article <51009@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) writes:

> I must convert some IFF pix over to the PCX so they can be viewed on
> one of those MS-DOS things. Are there any PD conversion programs
> available?

Available on Compuserve in the Picture support area are some files like
IFF2GIF and GIF2PCX.  Quite a bother actually.

I have been using a commercial product called variously HiJaak, Graphics Tran,
Inset Systems, etc.  -- the best implementation of this product is fast and
allows use of wildcards  i.e. CONVERT *.LBM /iff *.PCX.  Since I typically do
100+ pictures at a time this feature is invaluable.

Terry LaGrone
Flight Training Devices - Alaska