[comp.sys.amiga.tech] amigas in the music world.

charles@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chuck the GREAT) (06/06/90)

I would like to know how estblished the amiga is in the world of sight and
sound.  As far as the industries' standards, which computer holds the title?
A friend of mine argued for the Crapintosh.  I just want a little reassurance  and opportunity to dispell this myth. All replies may be made directly to me or over the net.

Thanks

Charles Edward Moore
University of Pennsylvania
Charles@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

wakres01@pa.usl.edu (1712 Stelly John B) (06/06/90)

In article <25719@netnews.upenn.edu> charles@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chuck the GREAT) writes:

>I would like to know how estblished the amiga is in the world of sight and
>sound.  As far as the industries' standards, which computer holds the title?
>A friend of mine argued for the Crapintosh.  I just want a little reassurance  and opportunity to dispell this myth. All replies may be made directly to me or over the net.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with your friend.  As an amiga owner &
synthesizer/piano player, I have to admit that I used a Macintosh to do all of
the sequencing on an album I recorded with a band last year.
At that time there was _NO_ way to do 64 channels of MIDI and sync to SMPTE
with the amiga.  A regular Mac+ with a MIDI interface (4-line) and a good
sequencing package did all of the above (and did it well).
It's not the machine itself, it's simply that the software is not available for
the amiga to do these things well.  I use my amiga alot for music related
things (primarily sample editing with Synthia professional which rivals the
best Mac software!), but given the same choice today (and I will probably be
recording another album beginning this fall) I think I would choose the Mac
again. (I hate Macs,  but I don't know of a way to get the Amiga to do SMPTE
synchronization, or a package that will work with such a device and do a good
job of sequencing)

But I hear Music-X is great (haven't seen it yet) and I hear a SMPTE box for
it is in the works, so things may be looking up...

John B Stelly III
wakres01@pa.usl.edu

stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu (Gregory Stelmack) (06/08/90)

(Note: My first posting. Tell me if I screw up...)

In article <25719@netnews.upenn.edu> charles@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chuck the GREAT) writes:

>I would like to know how estblished the amiga is in the world of sight and
>sound.  As far as the industries' standards, which computer holds the title?
>A friend of mine argued for the Crapintosh.  I just want a little reassurance  and opportunity to dispell this myth. All replies may be made directly to me or over the net.

For those interested, the Fine Arts department here at USF has an entire
Amiga lab for their Art department, and has in fact done a play in which
three Amiga 2500s were used as a major part of the production. The Amiga
is infiltrating quite a lot here at USF...

-- Greg Stelmack (stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu)