[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 24bit to HAM

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May23.180902.22999@calgary.uucp> mccuaig@cs-sun-fh.UUCP (Daniel Mccuaig) writes:
>How do I go from 24 bits to HAM?

There are many ways. One I would suggest is to use a product provided by the
company with which I am associated, The Art Department.

>I want to view my rayshade pics on the Amiga.  They are in 24bit
>Utah RLE format.  I can dither down to 8 bits, but shouldn't have to
>for HAM.
>
>Is there a utah RLE to IFF Ham converter around?

If the person who ported RayShade to the Amiga have not already done so,
I suggest that they support the CBM endorsed 24 bit standard defined by
ASDG. It is documented in a recent Amiga Mail which I would be happy to
copy and send to the person responsible for RayShade on the Amiga.

Failing that, if someone could send us a detailed and accurate specfication
of UTAH RLE, we would be happy to support it directly in The Art Department.
We have made a public pledge to support every image file format no matter
how obscure provided we receive a detailed and accurate specification and
some sample images. In fact, we now have a programmer who's full time efforts
are devoted exclusively to authoring format modules for the Art Department.

So, let this be a general call for specifications....Anyone out there with
complete specs to an image format and access to sample images for testing,
if you'd like them supported in TAD and follow-on products please send
the the specs and sample images to us.

Thanks

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (05/28/90)

In article <1348@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>I suggest that they support the CBM endorsed 24 bit standard defined by
>ASDG. It is documented in a recent Amiga Mail which I would be happy to
>copy and send to the person responsible for RayShade on the Amiga.

Could you or somebody else who has this documentation please
POST the description of this format so that it would be available
to all of us?  Standards are useless if people don't have easy
access to them.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (05/30/90)

In article <1348@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>If the person who ported RayShade to the Amiga have not already done so,
>I suggest that they support the CBM endorsed 24 bit standard defined by
>ASDG. It is documented in a recent Amiga Mail which I would be happy to
>copy and send to the person responsible for RayShade on the Amiga.

If those who have the power to do so are listening, I would like to ask
that this information be posted to the net as was the info on the "official"
way to reboot your Amiga (apparently also from an Amiga Mail).  It is of at
least equal importance in my opinion.

John Munsch

bli@castor.usc.edu (Binary Logics) (06/01/90)

In article <13373@etana.tut.fi> mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) writes:

>Could you or somebody else who has this [ asdg 24bit ] documentation please
>POST the description of this format so that it would be available
>to all of us?  Standards are useless if people don't have easy
>access to them.

Amen!  Would someone at ASDG please post the format, to promote the
spread of the standard? the last thing we need now is for everyone
who writes a program to invent his own 'standard'...

Maybe we should create comp.sys.amiga.digest, for stuff like this? it
would certainly be more worthwhile than comp.sys.amiga.games...

gt5784a@prism.gatech.EDU (REYNOLDS) (06/01/90)

[stuff deleted]

>Amen!  Would someone at ASDG please post the format, to promote the
>spread of the standard? the last thing we need now is for everyone
>who writes a program to invent his own 'standard'...

I don't understand.. IBM people tell me that standards are great because
there are so many to choose from.     :)
(I know.. it's old, but I just couldn't resist)

W.Reynolds.
--
"I think, therefore I am." - Descartes               |          Only Amiga
"I know you are, but what am I?" - Pee Wee Herman    |    // makes .sigs like

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (06/06/90)

In article <9986@chaph.usc.edu> bli@castor.usc.edu (Binary Logics) writes:
>In article <13373@etana.tut.fi> mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) writes:
>Amen!  Would someone at ASDG please post the format, to promote the
>spread of the standard? the last thing we need now is for everyone
>who writes a program to invent his own 'standard'...

I have posted this information before, and then it rapidly scrolls off of
everyone's systems. Carolyn was nice enough to post the spec this time, and
she has easier access to the text for posting purposes than I do, plus it's
more _official_ when it comes from her. :-)

The proper way to get the spec is to order the current IFF information from
Commodore, and the deep pixel specification is in there.
Perhaps Fred Fish will release an updated IFF disk in the near future, too --
you out there, Fred?!?

As to everyone having his/her own standard, we're far too late for that!

>Maybe we should create comp.sys.amiga.digest, for stuff like this? it
>would certainly be more worthwhile than comp.sys.amiga.games...

That's not such a bad idea. But at least the IFF docs being stored at any
archives (such as xanth) should certainly be updated to include the 24-bit
ILBM spec.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

FVEST@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU (Floyd Vest) (06/09/90)

Binary Logics <bli@castor.usc.edu> wrote:
>Amen!  Would someone at ASDG please post the format, to promote the
>spread of the standard? the last thing we need now is for everyone
>who writes a program to invent his own 'standard'...

>Maybe we should create comp.sys.amiga.digest, for stuff like this? it

Good idea.

>would certainly be more worthwhile than comp.sys.amiga.games...

I don't know about that...now I don't have to read "how do you (sink
the submarine|open the egg|cross the bridge|get by the monster)" :-)

|| Floyd Vest                  //  WAR  \\        fvest@ducvax.auburn.edu ||
|| Auburn University           \\ EAGLE //        FVEST@AUDUCVAX.bitnet   ||