[comp.sys.amiga.tech] UUCP and CB

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/05/90)

I'm in the process of setting up a UUCP node based around Mr. Dillon's UUCP
v1.05D or whichever it is; anyway, I'm in the intermediate stages and have
been playing around with a few of the commands (after making the appropriate
assigns and such).  I run the ARP shell with CB (Console Buffer v1.1, which
adds a scroll bar to the shell window and saves all text in a buffer) among
other things.  Anyway, the "man" command seems to have a strange interaction
with CB:  when man is run, CB dies.  Cleanly, so far as I can tell with Xoper
2.2, but it does exit.  I've tried it with a few different text readers, too.
CB just seems to up and quit when "man" is run.  This is potentially ANNOYING
and if anyone knows what is going on, please reply.  It's affecting more than
one of us locally...

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Internet bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu, FIDO 1:104/421.2 or Arvada 68K (303)424-9831|

dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) (06/08/90)

>In article <1255@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>I'm in the process of setting up a UUCP node based around Mr. Dillon's UUCP
>v1.05D or whichever it is; anyway, I'm in the intermediate stages and have
>CB just seems to up and quit when "man" is run.  This is potentially ANNOYING
>and if anyone knows what is going on, please reply.  It's affecting more than
>one of us locally...
>
>.			     <<<<Infinite K>>>>

    MAN simply runs the RFilter command in the background (RFilter is a
    Config file entry normally set to 'dme'.  I have no idea why this might
    effect CB but frankly, the problem is probably with CB.

    You can change RFilter to any display program you want, or should be
    able to at least.

					    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
    891 Regal Rd.

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/09/90)

In article <dillon.4244@overload.UUCP> dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>In article <1255@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>>CB just seems to up and quit when "man" is run.  This is potentially ANNOYING
>
>    MAN simply runs the RFilter command in the background (RFilter is a
>    Config file entry normally set to 'dme'.  I have no idea why this might
>    effect CB but frankly, the problem is probably with CB.

OK, I'll buy that... (I have RFilter set to execute "rd", the file reader from
the old Access! term package - it's the nicest I've seen, really) but it is
odd.  I mean, "rd" doesn't affect CB at all by itself.  I've also now noticed
that upon disconnection of uucico (which I run manually) CB exits too.  I
believe the program executes rnews or some other program to unpack the messages
at about this time.  Too bad the author of CB is not here on the net!

While I'm here... (you didn't think you were going to get away that fast, now,
did you?) I just wanted to say how unexpectedly easy it was to set everything
up once I broke down and read the docs.  I had a little help from a fellow
user, but the thing is my setup worked FIRST TIME.  I expected anything but
that, from my experiences setting up a FIDO point node... (well, I should say
almost first time - it functioned but because my fellow user told me to set
debug to 9 it printed out masses of crud to the screen slowing the transfer
to glacial.  A reset to 0 and it's running like a champ)  Dmail is very usable
as well.  I wish "anews" was a little less primitive in a lot of ways, but I'm
sure this will be fixed in the future (I did try "NewsView 2.32" as an
alternative but it wouldn't recognize any of the messages in my News dir).
One thing that would be VERY NICE if the software (not sure exactly what does
it) would NOT renumber the messages and do all that other tomfoolery all the
time.  It would be a lot easier to keep track of news for me if that could
be changed.  I have the diff of news.c posted a while back that fixes the
delete bug, so I won't be complaining about that today... (I do own Lattice
and I know C but I'm new to the Amiga-specific programming world and have not
got far into the Lattice manual yet, so wish me luck compiling it... yes, I
do have DICE but no room on the HD for it yet).    My only other problem is
lack of an "Organization:" line which was half the reason I set up Orac in
the first place - I thought the "Organization" line in the config file took
care of that, but it doesn't seem to show up in my posts!

Anyway, well done!, and I anxiously await v1.06!

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

Now available at ...uunet!isis!nyx!orac!bscott, and possibly bscott@orac.UUCP?