[comp.sys.amiga.tech] matchfirst/next

a464@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dawson) (06/09/90)

     I've heard matchfirst and matchnext mentioned a couple of times recently,
and while I think the idea of wildcard parsing built into the OS is a great
idea, it _sounds_ like you might be doing it wrong.  If the only way to access
the wildcard routines is through the matchfirst/matchnext routines, which
presumably map roughly onto Examine and ExNext, then you are missing some
possible uses.  Sometimes you might want to do wildcard checking on strings
that don't actually exist as file names, or you might want to change the filter
you are applying to a directory without rereading it.  So, please tell me that
in addition to matchfirst/next, there is also an entry point that lets you pass
two strings, one a wildcard string and the other a 'filename', and get back a
boolean saying whether the 'filename' matches the wildcard.

--
Bruce Dawson    Day job: Distinctive Software Inc.
                Company name: CygnusSoft Software

In article <2048@mindlink.UUCP> a464@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dawson) writes:
>  So, please tell me that
>in addition to matchfirst/next, there is also an entry point that lets you pass
>two strings, one a wildcard string and the other a 'filename', and get back a
>boolean saying whether the 'filename' matches the wildcard.

	Rest easy.  ParsePattern() and MatchPattern().  *Poof*

	Boy that was easy. :-)

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"