[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Wildcards vs. Regular Expressions

In article <1990Jun6.104643.15176@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> Looking at the Amiga implementation, like looking at the choice of "#?" for
> the wildcard

"#?" is not a wildcard. AmigaDOS does not implement a wildcard. It implements
regular expressions, which is a much more powerful tool than wildcards.

> "Why did the
> Amiga developers go to the time, trouble, and expense  to design and
> implement something poorly, when an example of how to do it much better was
> conveniently at hand?"

They didn't. They implemented something more powerful.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
/      \

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (06/11/90)

> For those using System V, there's ksh, which supports vi and emacs line

> I still await an Amiga shell that offers vi editing mode.  Anyone know of
> one?

SKsh 1.5 will support both emacs and vi modes.  It is actually even
better than that; it will support binding any character or sequence
of characters to any function or sequence of functions.  Even things
like different modes.  You can emulate most any editor style with it.

The release date depends on when my currently dead Amiga comes back
to life again.

    - steve