kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) (06/09/90)

   From: "Frank P. Weed II" <uunet!ufweed!fweed>

      Has anyone ever had a device name changed to only a colon?  I've
   encountered this several times (ie: "dh9:" becomes ":") and it's quite
   annoying.  I've even uploaded some archives to a board from a partition
   only to find that partition yanked from me when I go to send another file.
   You can still access the partition by it's volume name, but INFO and XOPER
   all show the unit as ":".  Since I'm running virtually everything over here
   (KS1.2, OS1.3, ARP1.3, SCSIDOS 3.0), I don't really have a clue as to what
   program is causing this problem.  BTW: it's not that frequent - maybe only
   7 times in the last year, but just annoying (and somewhat interesting ;)

Yeah, I've seen this and wondered too; try to cd to a different partition
(like cd y:) and it says that it can't find y:, then info shows up
a ":" drive.  Another interesting thing I noticed is that I can then do
a "mount y:" and INFO will show up both the ":" and the "y:" with the same
stuff on them.  Anyway, this always scared me a bit, so I usually rebooted
when I saw it happen.  Bugs the heck out of me too, since I can't seem to
find a cause for it.  And I've seen it once every month or two as well.

monty
kosma@human-torch.lasc-research.lockheed.com

apuzzo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (APUZZO ALFONSO A) (06/10/90)

In article <03378.AA03378@ufweed.UUCP> fweed@ufweed.UUCP (Frank P. Weed II) writes:

>   Has anyone ever had a device name changed to only a colon?  I've
>encountered this several times (ie: "dh9:" becomes ":") and it's quite

[deleted]

>--
>
>Frank P. Weed II                           uucp: uunet!isis!nyx!ufweed!fweed

Not exactly, but I have an 880k RAD: disk that I copy WB to on cold boot, and
sometimes (~15% of boots) the volume label simply disapears... like you,
I can still access the volume via RAD: or 'RAD_WB:', but info, Xoper and
workbench think that it doesn't have any name at all.

puzzled,

--> Tony <--
*
* Be a non-conformist like me and don't use a .sig at all.
*

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/10/90)

If you are interested in tracking down the culprit to this problem I have
a couple of suggestions. What is probably happening is that the DeviceNode
for the disk is getting munged (or the Volume node) and the string which
makes up the device name (a bstr) is getting set to either \0 or \01\0
which is the same in bstr terms. This is most likely caused by a bug
in either a file requestor routine, a directory utility, or another
program that is getting cute by scanning the device list. The problem
may be that the pointer to a device name is being used without being
cleared and that could stomp on the device name. You might consider
exchanging notes about what sort of directory like utilities y'all have
in common. That would be my first guess anyway.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

dgold@basso.actrix.co.nz (Dale Gold) (06/10/90)

Quoted from - kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma):
>    From: "Frank P. Weed II" <uunet!ufweed!fweed>
>       Has anyone ever had a device name changed to only a colon?  I've
>    encountered this several times (ie: "dh9:" becomes ":") ........

I have a similar quirk, running with ARP1.3 and WSHELL & a 2meg Microbotics
Starboard. My normal prompt shows the current directory, and in RAM: it only
displays ":>". It wouldn't bother me, but WSHELL's filename-completion won't
work in the RAM: directory.

Oddly enough, the INFO command displays this amazing info:

Mounted disks:
Unit      Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
RAM:      4194M    -231       0 100%   0  Read/Write

-231 used indicates that I've deleted things from RAM:, it starts at 0.
Note the lack of anything under Name and the size of RAM: I'm supposed to
be getting out of 2 1/2 megs! If anybody would like to send me a 4194 meg
file, I'll try to copy it to ram: & see what happens!! :-0
Dale
--

Dale Gold	dgold@basso.actrix.co.nz

In article <2436.tnews@basso.actrix.co.nz> dgold@basso.actrix.co.nz (Dale Gold) writes:
>Oddly enough, the INFO command displays this amazing info:
>
>Mounted disks:
>Unit      Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
>RAM:      4194M    -231       0 100%   0  Read/Write
>
>-231 used indicates that I've deleted things from RAM:, it starts at 0.
>Note the lack of anything under Name and the size of RAM: I'm supposed to
>be getting out of 2 1/2 megs! If anybody would like to send me a 4194 meg
>file, I'll try to copy it to ram: & see what happens!! :-0

	Update your system.  You're using an OLD copy of the ram-handler.
It must be from 1.2 or earlier.

	The other possibility is that something has well and truely trashed
the ram-handler (or in addition to it's being out-of-date).

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"