[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Speech Synthesis over a modem

a808@mindlink.UUCP (David R. Matthews) (06/11/90)

What are the audio pins on the serial port for I wondwr?

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (06/11/90)

     Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, and if it hasn't this might
be interesting.  Can I make an A500 do the following:

     Answer an incoming VOICE call on a modem, then utilizing the
speech synthesizer give the caller a brief introduction, and then ask a
series of questions.  After each question, the caller will enter a number
on their touch tone phone indicating their response.  The response will
be recorded, and appropriate followup questions will be asked.

     I have only played with Speechtoy, and know relatively little about
using a modem.  (I just got one last week)  Does a package that does
this already exist?  Is it possible? (I know, anything is possible if
you have the $$$$)  Apparently something for the IBM exists, but it
runs around $4000 to $5000.  If anyone has a clue, their info would
be greatly appreciated.

                          Thanks,
                          Joe Peck
                          peck@ral.rpi.edu

"You can have any color you want, so long as it's black . . . or white or
blue or green or any other of the 4096 we got!"

mcjilton@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (charles mar mcjilton) (06/12/90)

In article <S''$^W#@rpi.edu> peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:

>     Answer an incoming VOICE call on a modem, then utilizing the
>speech synthesizer give the caller a brief introduction, and then ask a

Not with a modem.  There is a board out there for the IBM world that can
accomplish such a task.  They're called "Power Line II" and "Big Mouth",
by Talking Technology Inc..  I'm working on a project right now where we will
be making an answering machine type software (much more complex, though)
using this board.  The boards cose about $550 and $300 respectively.

There is no way to do this with a modem.  The modem won't do DTMF recognition,
and there is no way to get the sound from the synthesiser to the phone, without
some hardware hacking.

<Using a friends account>
Sean

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (06/13/90)

In article <2079@mindlink.UUCP> a808@mindlink.UUCP (David R. Matthews) writes:
>What are the audio pins on the serial port for I wondwr?

Hmmm... good question.  Can anyone from Commodore make a comment?  Maybe
these are just another "feature" that nobody uses. . . (no flames intended) :)

                              Thanks again,
                              Joe Peck
                              peck@ral.rpi.edu

"Watch who you're stepping on as you climb the ladder to the top.
Oftentimes someone has found the elevator first." - Me

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (06/13/90)

>From jraymond@BBN.COM Tue Jun 12 15:06:47 1990
>Subject: Re: Speech Synthesis over a modem
>To: peck@ral.rpi.edu
>Cc: jraymond@BBN.COM
>
>Joseph Peck <peck@ral.rpi.edu> writes:
>
>>     Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, and if it hasn't this might
>>be interesting.  Can I make an A500 do the following:
>
>Actually, a very similar question was posed before, which generated a
>lot of very good information for the project I am working on. Hopefully
>this will do the same...
>

>>     Answer an incoming VOICE call on a modem, then utilizing the
>>speech synthesizer give the caller a brief introduction, and then ask a
>>series of questions.  After each question, the caller will enter a number
>>on their touch tone phone indicating their response.  The response will
>>be recorded, and appropriate followup questions will be asked.
>
>	You would need to take control of the line after the modem had
>answered, then monitor the incoming signals with your digitizer for the
>DTMF signals (TouchTones), sifting out the line noise. This maybe
>difficult, so there are touch tone decoders available (~$300) that
>connect via RS232 (if your interested I could look up the manufacturer),
>that could do the decoding for you (if I recall correctly, they even
>answer the ringing line). From there, you would need to interface the
>incoming voice line to your digitizer, and connect your Amigas audio out
>to the phone out. Hopefully these signals would be compatible, except
>from what I have heard about the voltage spikes that can come through
>the phone lines, it may be wise to isolate the two systems.
>

>>Apparently something for the IBM exists, but it runs around $4000 to $5000.
>

>You must be refering to the Natural Microsystems Watson and VBX boards,
>if not I would like to know more about others...
>

>> If anyone has a clue, their info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>                          Thanks,
>>                          Joe Peck
>>                          peck@ral.rpi.edu
>
>	Well, only half a clue here, and I too would appreciate anymore
>light someone could shed on this subject....
>
>-- Jayson
>
>BTW, could you forward this to the Amiga List (where your message was
>posted), I can't seem to get there from here. Also, I would appreciate
>any info you come across... Thanks!

Well, here's the posting . . .

                          Joe Peck