[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Command line length limitations

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/10/90)

In article <12396@cbmvax.commodore.com>, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

> 	Command lines should be able to be longer as used by System and
> Execute.  This hasn't been extensively tested as of yet, but it was a

Thanks for the good news, and a BIG *Thank You* for fixing this!  People with
directories having hundreds of files (like usr:spool/news/comp/sys/amiga) will
appreciate this ability alot!

> factor in design.  Path lengths are still constrained by the 255 character
> limit to BSTRs, due to the packet formats.  At some later date I have plans
> to eliminate that as well (no time for 2.0).

255 *seems* reasonable for this, but it would be nice to get the fix "In there"
for 2.1 ...

I assume filenames proper are still limited to 30 chars?

> 	The console may be able to handle longer than 255 character lines
> now, I'm not sure (but I suspect it still has some hard limit).

Hardcoded limits should be exorcised whenever possible (IMO), in favor of
dynamic allocation.  However, if the "hard limit" is on the order of 64K, I'll
shut up for now ... :-)

> 	Wildcard expansion is much easier to do now, due to matchfirst/
> matchnext.

Will these work with "*" and "?"   In a previous posting it was mentioned that
there would be a flag of some sort in 2.0 to finally allow "*" as a wildcard.

/kim
--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

In article <38zy02j0ae2P01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>> factor in design.  Path lengths are still constrained by the 255 character
>> limit to BSTRs, due to the packet formats.  At some later date I have plans
>> to eliminate that as well (no time for 2.0).
>
>255 *seems* reasonable for this, but it would be nice to get the fix "In there"
>for 2.1 ...

	Warning, it's a big one, so don't hold your breath yet.

>I assume filenames proper are still limited to 30 chars?

	The filesystem determines that, and the current filesystems (ram and
the rom FS) use 30, but a FS could allow more.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/11/90)

In article <12517@cbmvax.commodore.com>, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

> >> factor in design.  Path lengths are still constrained by the 255 character
> >
> >255 *seems* reasonable for this, but it would be nice to get the fix "In there"
> >for 2.1 ...
>
> 	Warning, it's a big one, so don't hold your breath yet.
>
> >I assume filenames proper are still limited to 30 chars?
>
> 	The filesystem determines that, and the current filesystems (ram and
> the rom FS) use 30, but a FS could allow more.

OK, I won't.  The reason I mentioned the FS name-length limitation was more to
verify it than anything else, as the 255/30 ratio still guarantees a minimum
tree depth of 7 (if you include the vol name), as seen at the CLI/Exec() inter-
face.  Typically, of course, it can be much deeper (with a maximum of around
146).  Sound quite reasonable (not that I plan on counting on such "limits"
for anything).

So, if a real fix for the path-length is extensive/ugly/etc, I see no reason
not to put it on the back-burner.

Thanks again for taking care of the major headache!

BTW, will all these new hooks for the improved shell interface (System(),
matchfirst/next, wildcard flags, etc) be documented in the DevCon notes, or
are some things still not "firm"?  I get the impression that the latter's
the case.

/kim

--

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (06/13/90)

> I much prefer the Amiga's pattern matching abilities over the
> traditional * route, But what I think is sorely missed in the Amiga Shell
> is file completion.   I think the most valuable thing about the shells I use
> on Unix is File Completion!  That feature...

There are two ways to achieve file name completion in AmigaDos.  (Or
rather, there are at least two; I suppose there might be others).  One
solution is that a utility by Bill Hawes (supplied with WShell I
believe) will provide filename completion for you.  I don't have Wshell
so I can't comment on how it works and what features it has.  WShell is
pretty cheap though, you might consider it.

The second choice (advertisement-mode on :-) ) is to use SKsh.  It is
free, and provides a few different filename completion features.  You
will insert all file names which match the previously typed pattern,
and <esc>-= will list matching filenames and then re-display the command
line as it was letting you continue typing.  In 1.4 there is a new
feature called a "complist" which lets to perform completion on any
arbitrary series of strings.  For example, ones that you define yourself,
files inside of a .zoo archive, or a buffered list of files on a floppy
disk for rapid access, etc.  Completion will get a little better
yet in 1.5 (RSN :-)) when a few new features will be added (such as
automatically indicating whether the thing you completed was a directory
or a file name), and you will be able to map any keys you wish to
perform completion.  I'm even considering context sensitive string
completion for 1.6, but that is a ways off yet.  Context sensitive
completion will be able to, for example, look at only .c files and
ignore .o files in certain situations, etc.

Hope this helps.  WShell is available pretty much anyplace which sells
Amiga software, and SKsh 1.4 is on one of the recent Fish disks.

   - steve