[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Filename completion

rxtgep@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Glen Pill) (02/23/90)

Are there any programs available (that aren't included in a shell) to perform
filename completion ???  I would prefer PD or ShareWare as decent utility
software (commercial stuff anyway) is difficult to get over here in OZ.

PS: An ftp site would be nice.

       Thanks in advance

jw@sics.se (Johan Widen) (02/25/90)

rxtgep> Are there any programs available (that aren't included in a shell) to
rxtgep> perform filename completion ???  I would prefer PD or ShareWare as
rxtgep> decent utility software (commercial stuff anyway) is difficult to get
rxtgep> over here in OZ.

Here is a pointer to a commercial program: FComp
FComp comes with the latest version of William Hawes shell WShell. FComp is a
freestanding program (i.e. it is not part of the shell). I use it and am very
pleased with it. It has lots of features, many of which I have not seen
anywhere else (even under UNIX).

You can order WShell from
	William S. Hawes
	P.O. Box 308
	Maynard, MA 01754-0308
	USA
I'm not sure about the current price but it is probably about $60.
If you get WShell it is also a good idea to get ARexx. Same address,
same price level.

FComp takes care of the file name completion. ConMan takes care of the line
editing and command history. WShell takes care of the classic shell
functions. ARexx adds an extension language.

--
Johan Widen
SICS, PO Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA, SWEDEN	Internet: jw@sics.se

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (06/14/90)

umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) writes:

>	I much prefer the Amiga's pattern matching abilities over the
>traditional * route, But what I think is sorely missed in the Amiga Shell
>is file completion.   I think the most valuable thing about the shells I use
>on Unix is File Completion!  That feature saves an incredible amount of typing

I still miss this too. I asked in c.s.a a while back if someone had written a
short, fast and simple utility that implements UNIX style filename completion
in the standard 1.3 shell, but apparently noone has. I got lots of recommend-
ations for different shells though (I have most of them, even WShell) but
what I'd really like is just a short (if possible) hack that takes care of
it (and no more) in the standard shell.

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se