[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A2090

	Oh, by the way, when you say the A2090 can handle ST506, you *DO*
mean it can handle ST506 and ST412, don't you?

					-Matt

In article <8809092138.AA05543@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Oh, by the way, when you say the A2090 can handle ST506, you *DO*
>mean it can handle ST506 and ST412, don't you?

	Fairly certain (I can't remember the difference at the moment, but
I think it's trivial).  The 2090 does not support more than 8 heads at this
time for ST506 drives (doesn't matter for SCSI).

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (09/12/88)

In article <4702@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <8809092138.AA05543@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>
>>	Oh, by the way, when you say the A2090 can handle ST506, you *DO*
>>mean it can handle ST506 and ST412, don't you?
>
>	Fairly certain (I can't remember the difference at the moment, but
>I think it's trivial).  The 2090 does not support more than 8 heads at this
>time for ST506 drives (doesn't matter for SCSI).
>
>--
>Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

I'm certain.  I'm running an ST-251 40MB disk, which has the ST412
interface, on my A2090, and it runs just fine.

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
Atherton Technology, 1333 Bordeaux Dr., Sunnyvale, CA, 94089

thad@cup.portal.com (09/14/88)

Sorry, the A2090 is *NOT* ST-412 compatible.

The major difference between ST-506 and ST-412 is that ST-506 supports only
8 heads (such as the older WD1010 controllers) and that ST-412 supports 16
heads.

The A2090 supports only 8 heads, thus is ST-506 compatible.

The Seagate ST-251 drive has 6 heads and will function with either an ST-506
or ST-412 compatible controller.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

In article <9071@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
> Sorry, the A2090 is *NOT* ST-412 compatible.
>
> The major difference between ST-506 and ST-412 is that ST-506 supports only
> 8 heads (such as the older WD1010 controllers) and that ST-412 supports 16
> heads.

Sorry, wrong.  The main difference between the ST506 and ST412 is that
the ST412 supports buffered seeking, that is you can twiddle the step
line real fast and then wait of the drive to say it is ready instead of
having the count the milliseconds between step pulses.

The A2090 and almost any other controller you want to name do support
buffered seeks and are therefore ST412 compatible, so in a pracitical
sense, the difference between ST506 and ST412 is a historical
irrelevancy.

> The A2090 supports only 8 heads, thus is ST-506 compatible.
>
> The Seagate ST-251 drive has 6 heads and will function with either an ST-506
> or ST-412 compatible controller.

That's more reasonable.  The 8+ head drives reassign one of the control
signals for the 3'rd head select line.  Traditionally, this has only
occurred on the high-capacity/high-doller drives by Maxtor and others,
but these drives are now showing up on the surplus market for ~$1K...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

thad@cup.portal.com (09/19/88)

Hi George (grr@cbmvax),

Thanks for posting the additional info re: ST506 and ST412 differences.

I didn't; I kept my original answer within the context of the original
question (number of heads).  I didn't see need to enter several pages of
specs!   :-)

Re: large drives: yes, they're really dropping in price on the surplus
market (re: NEW drives).  380MB Maxtors can be purchased for under $2,000
each;  Dale Luck just purchased 3 and I purchased 2; mine work fine with the
Supra 4x4 (on A1000) but Dale was unable (as of last week) to get his to
function with the A2090A (the XT-3380 are embedded SCSI drives; you may wish
to check with Dale and/or Kodiak re: their analysis of the problem(s)).

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

bosch@dg.dg.com (Derek Bosch) (06/14/90)

I purchases a used A2090 controller when I upgraded to an A2000, and
unfortunately, it did not come with any documentation.  I have successfully
managed to get an ST506 drive working, but would like some information
on actually reading/writing SCSI commands from/to it.  If anyone has any
relevant information about writing software for this controller, or can
point me to a good source, I would be extremely grateful.

Derek Bosch
--

"There's a fine line between stupid and being clever" -- Spinal Tap