[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SNAP weirdness

In <3420@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM>, dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) writes:
>In article <1728@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca
>(Larry Phillips) writes:
>
>|I have the devil of a time with having spurious characters show up in place of
>|other characters, and rerunning it will sometimes cure the problem, but more
>|often than not, the nature of the replacements will change. For example, I
>|might find that I Snap a line that reads:
>|
>  [[ examples deleted ]]
>
>     I had this problem when I first set up SNAP.  I don't think it's
>your remapped keyboard, since I have some remapped keys, too.  What I
>wound up doing was changing the CHARDELAY and LINEDELAY parameters to
>something fairly slow.  (My Amiga's at home, so I can't look up the
> [ ... ]

I tried this, using several different delays for both character and line
delays, without success. Mikael has asked for a copy of the keymap I built,
which I will be sending, so he may find something out about it.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (06/15/90)

(Larry Phillips) writes:
|In <74005.AA74005@slaka.sirius.se>, micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael
|Karlsson) writes:
|>
|>    Here I don't agree. If anyone else has had this kind of problems,
|>please let me know. Except if you're trying to paste into the CLI.
|>I guess you do know that the input line is limited.
|
|It will also not paste more than about 255 chars into Aterm. Snipit does. Thing
|is, an input line to a CLI (or perhaps any console) is indeed limited to 255
|characters. However, the line stops at the EOL character, and it should start
|counting all over again.

     I've been able to clip and paste a whole screen full of text --
roughly a KByte -- without problems.  However, it takes some setup to
get it right; see below.

|I have the devil of a time with having spurious characters show up in place of
|other characters, and rerunning it will sometimes cure the problem, but more
|often than not, the nature of the replacements will change. For example, I
|might find that I Snap a line that reads:

  [[ examples deleted ]]

     I had this problem when I first set up SNAP.  I don't think it's
your remapped keyboard, since I have some remapped keys, too.  What I
wound up doing was changing the CHARDELAY and LINEDELAY parameters to
something fairly slow.  (My Amiga's at home, so I can't look up the
actual values.  Somewhere around 50 msec each, though.)  I'd actually
done this because certain programs (like type and copy) wouldn't accept
input very quickly.  Then I found that even the standard Amiga Shell
would have trouble if the characters came in too fast.  I haven't tried
playing with the delays since I got WShell; I'll have to try it.  There
is definately a bug in here somewhere, but there is a reasonable
workaround.  I do wish that it could paste faster, though; it looks like
a 1200 baud modem.

     I could also ask for the abilty to cut 16 point or larger fonts.
I like to use a 16 point font on an interlaced screen for terminal
programs like VLT and Access!, but SNAP won't cut it.  Also, SNAP won't
cut text from VLT's main screen, no matter what font size I'm using.
(The Review window is SNAPable, so I use that.)  There's some sort of
interaction going on here that I haven't been able to isolate.  Then
there's the matter of proportional fonts.  That's something that will
become more important in the future, when AmigaOS v2.0 is released.

				    --dds

"Right before your eyes,	  | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell
 We pull Laughter from the skies, | Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
 And he laughs until he cries,    | C$erve:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
 Then he dies, then he dies."     | Disclaimer:  Tektronix buys my
     -- Emerson, Lake, and Palmer |   time and labor, not my opinions.

marc@altitude.CAM.ORG (Marc Boucher) (06/15/90)

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) writes:

>     I could also ask for the abilty to cut 16 point or larger fonts.
>I like to use a 16 point font on an interlaced screen for terminal
>programs like VLT and Access!, but SNAP won't cut it.  Also, SNAP won't
>cut text from VLT's main screen, no matter what font size I'm using.
>(The Review window is SNAPable, so I use that.)  There's some sort of
>interaction going on here that I haven't been able to isolate.
	Sorry, I SNAP from "VLTjr (Non-Graphics) Version V4.226" all the time.
	I use ordinary topaz 8.

>				    --dds

>"Right before your eyes,	  | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell

	Marc.

--
             Internet          Telephone             Fax
Domicile   marc@CAM.ORG     (514) 466-8932