[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ChkDsk for Amiga?

danbabcock@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (06/15/90)

Well, the dos.library crashed yet again. As usual, the problem is
untested error-handling code. I inserted an unformatted disk and got a
guru #3. The last time I reported a similar problem a wiseguy blamed it
on the ARP command I was using. This time merely inserting a disk was
sufficient to crash dos.library.

Anyway, to get to the point of the message...at the time of the crash,
my assembler was writing to my hard drive, meaning that it was left in
a corrupt state. When I rebooted, AmigaDOS refused to access my hard
drive. I loaded up DiskX and looked at the root block. The checksum was
bad, so I fixed it and wrote out the block. Now I can use my hard drive -
and I haven't had any problems yet - but that checksum was bad for a
*reason*!

So.....is there a utility similar to ChkDsk for ms-dos that verifies the
disk structure (and reports any problems)? Maybe no serious damage was
done. On the other hand, my hard drive may be a "time bomb".
[yes, I have already copied important files to floppies]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

-- Dan Babcock

In <3655@eklektik.UUCP>, danbabcock@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:
>Well, the dos.library crashed yet again. As usual, the problem is
>untested error-handling code. I inserted an unformatted disk and got a
>guru #3. The last time I reported a similar problem a wiseguy blamed it
>on the ARP command I was using. This time merely inserting a disk was
>sufficient to crash dos.library.
>
>Anyway, to get to the point of the message...at the time of the crash,
>my assembler was writing to my hard drive, meaning that it was left in
>a corrupt state. When I rebooted, AmigaDOS refused to access my hard
>drive. I loaded up DiskX and looked at the root block. The checksum was
>bad, so I fixed it and wrote out the block. Now I can use my hard drive -
>and I haven't had any problems yet - but that checksum was bad for a
>*reason*!
>
>So.....is there a utility similar to ChkDsk for ms-dos that verifies the
>disk structure (and reports any problems)? Maybe no serious damage was
>done. On the other hand, my hard drive may be a "time bomb".
>[yes, I have already copied important files to floppies]
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Use DiskX again, and take a look at the 'bitmap valid' flag.  It's the longword
at 0x138 (bytes) offset in the root block. Zero it out, exit, and do a
'diskchange' on that partition. The validator will kick in and rebuild the
bitmap. Check to see if you have everything, and if not, it's time for a
sojourn with DiskSalv. Since you say you have copied everything imprtant off,
it's relatively safe to try this.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.