[comp.sys.amiga.tech] How do you reply to !foo.uucp addresses?

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (06/04/90)

How do I send mail to people with addresses like

!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!waf2000!will

and other ! filled addresss? I dont know how to fill the To: line so that Mhmail
dosen't choke.
Charlweed

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun4.152017.8229@csmil.umich.edu>, chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:
> How do I send mail to people with addresses like
>
> !cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!waf2000!will
>
> and other ! filled addresss? I dont know how to fill the To: line so that Mhmail
> dosen't choke.
> Charlweed

I'm not familiar with Mhmail, but the "!" addresses (also known as "uucp paths"
or "bang paths") are pretty straight forward.  The leading "!" (bang) indicates
a well-known or "backbone" site, such as UUNET.  For example, the bang path
to the system where I'm posting this from is "!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick" which means
that mail should be sent to a well known system.  From there, it goes to
"zardoz", from there to "tmiuv0" (my local VAX) and into my user account,
"rick".  The full bang path would (with well known host included) would be
"however-you-get-to-uunet!uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick".

As a further example, to send mail from my home Amiga to this system, the
whole bang path is:

    (host system is amoeba2, my user name is "rps2"):
    conexch!ccicpg!perigrine!uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick

A bit messy.  That's why "smart mailers" and "domains" are so nice.  Look
at the stuff below to see how the above path was created.  The source
machine is "Home Amiga (Best!!)", the destination was "Work (ugh!)"

  .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \
|    ?   +--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|    V   | uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick             (<-- Work (ugh!))             |
|--------+ uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop           (<-- Home Unix (better!))     |
|  uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2  (<-- Home Amiga (Best!!)      |
 \ 75006.1355@compuserve.com (CIS: 75006,1355)  (<-- CI$)                    /
"I was Caesarean born.  When I leave the house, I use the window."
                                         - Steven Wright

fetrow@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Fetrow) (06/09/90)

In article <2189@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
#In article <1990Jun4.152017.8229@csmil.umich.edu>, chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:
#> How do I send mail to people with addresses like
#>
#> !cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!waf2000!will
#>
#> and other ! filled addresss? I dont know how to fill the To: line so that Mhmail
#> dosen't choke.
#> Charlweed
#

  A common problem is that the C shell and its derivitives interpret the
"!" before it ever reaches the mailer. If you are using the C shell on a
Unix system to send mail interactively then it's a very good idea to escape
the "!" by substituting "\!" for each "!" in the address.

 Ordinarily I wouldn't post this but it comes up....A LOT.

--
 -dave fetrow-                     fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu
 dfetrow@uwalocke (bitnet)         {uunet}!uw-beaver!uw-entropy!fetrow

 "Logic merely allows one to be wrong with authority" -- The 2nd Doctor

dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) (06/11/90)

>In article <2189@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>
>As a further example, to send mail from my home Amiga to this system, the
>whole bang path is:
>
>    (host system is amoeba2, my user name is "rps2"):
>    conexch!ccicpg!perigrine!uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick
>
>A bit messy.  That's why "smart mailers" and "domains" are so nice.  Look
>|    V   | uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick		 (<-- Work (ugh!))             |
>|--------+ uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop		 (<-- Home Unix (better!))     |
>|  uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2  (<-- Home Amiga (Best!!)      |

    The proper way to give a bang path to your site is to ALWAYS begin with
    a FULLY DOMAINED host name.  For example (using the example above):

    uunet.uu.net!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2

    In most cases the paths are not even that long... if, for example, you
    knew the full domain name for 'conexch' (assuming it has one), you could
    simply say conexch.<domain>!amoeba2!rps2

    Just saying 'uunet' is not good enough in many cases.  Some machines
    run only the domain stuff (you have to say 'uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon'
    to get to me, others run the whole database (where you can just
    say 'overload!dillon' to get to me), and still others do not run any
    database at all, in which case you must know the path to the nearest
    site which does have the database.	Some machines are on the INTERNET,
    others a simple UUCP connection, some on BITNET, etc... using fully
    domained host names is the way that will most likely get the mail to
    its destination.

					-Matt
--

    Matthew Dillon	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
    891 Regal Rd.

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/17/90)

In article <dillon.4292@overload.UUCP> dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>    The proper way to give a bang path to your site is to ALWAYS begin with
>    a FULLY DOMAINED host name.  For example (using the example above):

This hasn't helped me much, but I found my problem... my nodename was stolen
by someone long before I even thought it up and he had the gall to register
it all over the place.  Result:  smart mailers the net over reroute my mail
to him, even if an explicit path is given.  I am effectively cut off from the
outside world until I find a new nodename (and I can't think of anything that's
short enough and as cool as "Orac" - suggestions invited, if you know what the
original means you'll know what I'm looking for).

>    In most cases the paths are not even that long... if, for example, you
>    knew the full domain name for 'conexch' (assuming it has one), you could
>    simply say conexch.<domain>!amoeba2!rps2

I am trying to figure out "domains".  I am still a little fuzzy on all the
various methods of mail routing in Usenet, but I got some information from
someone who is the coordinator for the "US" domain about how to register with
her.  I'm not sure yet what this will gain me, however - I am trying to obtain
an Internet-style address (i.e. bscott@orac.something.or.other).  I think.

Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to complain about the news readers
in UUCP 1.06D... I can't use either of 'em.  I was ecstatic to find that an
alternative to "anews" was provided, but "Dnews" is one of the most unusual
programs of it's kind that I've seen.  If you move a window over part of the
displayed message and then move it away it accesses the drive, presumably to
read the obscured part of the message back in (and I'm running lots of buffers
on my HD too).  Also it is a bit of a pain not to have to work one part of the
program with the mouse and another part with the keyboard.  Also, why can't it
SCROLL the message instead of blipping it around?  And some way to have it
highlight or underline parts of the header for clarity like "rn" and "anews"
does would be nice.   And I know this is documented and therefore not a bug,
but it would be great if it could delete messages.  Just running the newstrim
program is not workable - lots of times I have messages that I have read and
do not want to go away; I want them to stay in place because I will be replying
to them later.  In "rn" I use the "M" feature for this (the message I'm
replying to now has been "M"'ed for about 3 days running).  But you either
delete manually, leave everything in with "dnews".

Anyway, with all these problems (for me) with Dnews I tried going back to
Anews.  Amazingly enough it was a bit of a relief, even though it does not
scroll messages either.  However, I quickly (not quickly enough though)
discovered that the "delete" bug had been fixed with a vengeance:  newsgroups
with no unread messages were deleted wholesale - the whole directory.  YIPE!

I'd type more but I have just been notified that this system is going down
in about 1 minute for backups.

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Amiga UUCP node: ...!uunet!isis!nyx!orac!bscott  Else: bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|
|"Don't embarrass us..."  "Have I ever?" - Buckaroo Banzai  | *AMIGA POWER* |