[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Help with A3000 Floppy problem.

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (07/03/90)

	Well, I've been playing with my A3000 (man is this thing
FAST!!!) and I noticed a small problem.  I THINK it is a BETA AMIGAOS 2.0
problem, but I may be wrong.  I have a number of floppies which are IBM
format (I have to download usenet stuff to a PS/2 and use CrossDos) and
some of them I had not labelled (oops!!).  So I was looking through my
unlabelled disks to see which ones I wanted and which could become blanks.
Well, when I inserted a disk that was not formatted for the Amiga, the
system "thought" for a second, put up a disk icon with DF0:???? under it,
and gave me a requestor stating that the disk was NOT an AmigaDOS disk
(not the exact words) with continue and cancel SELECT buttons.  So I
select Cancel, the requester goes away, BUT the DRIVE LIGHT stays on.
I can hear that it is engaged as well.  I have access to the shell
(so I can use C commands (e.g. dir DF0: gives me the not an AmigaDos
requester again)) but I cannot STOP the disk drive from continually
accessing the drive.  My only option was to RE-BOOT the system.
Well, this is a REALLY PAINFUL WAY to find out if a disk is formatted
for AmigaDos!! (I tried it several times to see if it was a fluke, but
had the same results).  I was able to stop the access in one case by
FORMATTING the disk.  While the drive was LOCKED in ACCESS mode, I typed
FORMAT drive df0: name Blank noicons, AND the system formatted the disk
properly and then stopped accessing the disk.

Any comments?  Is there a proper channel to air these problems to CBM so
that they are aware of them??

Other than that, this machine is GREAT!!!  I highly recommend it to EVERYONE!!!

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

In article <1066@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
>	Well, I've been playing with my A3000 (man is this thing
>FAST!!!) and I noticed a small problem.  I THINK it is a BETA AMIGAOS 2.0
>problem, but I may be wrong.

	I think this has been fixed, but it's hard to tell, since you didn't
say what version of the OS you were running ("version" from a shell).  Also,
is this a production machine (which started shipping about a week and a half
ago), or is this one of the dealer demo models (which had a pre-release version
of the software on them)?  I think the demo units aren't supposed to be sold.
(I'm not in marketing.)

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"