[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Wanted: Guide to Writing Filesystems

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (06/27/90)

The title says it all:  are there any guides the net can recommend as
background for understanding alternate filesystems?  The obvious example
code is Olaf Siebert's MSH, for handling MS-DOS floppies in Amiga
drives.  Where else can one turn for guidance and examples?

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
plouff%kali.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

"Who came out with that term, 'MULTIMEDIA', btw???
I prefer amiga's old slang: DEMO."	-Viet Ho in comp.sys.amiga

ajahn@digi.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn) (07/01/90)

In article <12880@shlump.nac.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com writes:

>The title says it all:  are there any guides the net can recommend as
>background for understanding alternate filesystems?  The obvious example
>code is Olaf Siebert's MSH, for handling MS-DOS floppies in Amiga
>drives.  Where else can one turn for guidance and examples?

The only File Systems book I could find was:

  File Systems Design & Implementation by Daniel Grosshans
  Prentice-Hall Software Series
  (c) 1986 by Prentice-Hall
  ISBN 0-13-314568-9

I would have liked to see a bit more "meat", but in general its not a
bad reference.

 - alfredo jahn

 Alfredo Jahn V, DSC Communications      UUCP: {uunet,texbell}!digi!ajahn
 1000 Coit Road                        Internet: ajahn@!digi.lonestar.org
 Plano, TX 75075  Voice: 214-519-3545   Home: alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org

walker@unx.sas.com (Doug Walker) (07/04/90)

In article <12880@shlump.nac.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com writes:

>The title says it all:  are there any guides the net can recommend as
>background for understanding alternate filesystems?  The obvious example
>code is Olaf Siebert's MSH, for handling MS-DOS floppies in Amiga
>drives.  Where else can one turn for guidance and examples?

Try the Software Distillery's file system, available with full source.
John Toebes and I wrote a series of articles in Transactor for the Amiga
a year ago that cover writing a filesystem in great detail.  I have also
distributed source to the NET: network file system, which is based on
the SDFS.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)382-8265 =
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     For all you do, this bug's for you!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

In article <756@digi.lonestar.org> ajahn@digi.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn) writes:
>In article <12880@shlump.nac.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com writes:
>>
>>The title says it all:  are there any guides the net can recommend as
>>background for understanding alternate filesystems?  The obvious example
>>code is Olaf Siebert's MSH, for handling MS-DOS floppies in Amiga
>>drives.  Where else can one turn for guidance and examples?

	Check out the filesystem written by the Software Distillery and
published in Amiga Transactor a while back.  I think it's available on
a Fish disk as well.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (07/06/90)

To all who replied, including one by e-mail, thanks!  The _Transactor_
article, while densely written, is indeed the place to look.

Wes Plouff