[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Font file structure

johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (06/29/90)

I am looking for documentation on the structure of Amiga font files.
I have the 1.3 RKM's, and while they do describe the contents of
the font contents file (the foo.font file), they do not describe how the
actual font bitmap file (the foo/number file) is layed out.

I have looked through the public domain sources on the net, and have found
two programs which write font files (FontEditor from Fish Disk 30 and
MacFont from Fish Disk 138), but source is not provided for either of
these programs.

So I am a little lost;  how do you create new fonts?  Any documentation
or example source code would be appreciated.  The application is an
X11-Amiga font converter.  (Speaking of which, I am also having trouble
finding out how X11 font files are layed out.  If anybody happens to
know that, too, I'd be grateful.)

Thank you,

John

John Flanagan				Center for EUV Astrophysics
johnf@ssl.berkeley.edu			University of California
(...!ucbvax!soc1.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 643-6308

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jun28.173030.18051@agate.berkeley.edu> you write:
>I am looking for documentation on the structure of Amiga font files.
>I have the 1.3 RKM's, and while they do describe the contents of
>the font contents file (the foo.font file), they do not describe how the
>actual font bitmap file (the foo/number file) is layed out.

I've not seen a response to this request yet.  I also would like to know
what the font file layout is as I'd like to design some of my own fonts.
Does anyone know what the layout is? I'd like to use DPaintIII to design
my fonts.  Is it possible to cut from here and generate a font file?

Dan Watts
# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!uunet!ki!dwatts                 Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (07/03/90)

	The magazine TRANSACTOR FOR THE AMIGA (now defunct) had two
articles on font file structure, by Betty Clay.  I don't know what issues
had these articles.  The first article was about font file structure, and
the second was about the changes to fonts in AmigaDOS 1.3.

	Try to find a friend who has these issues.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

seh@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Holaday) (07/03/90)

>>John Flanagan writes:
>>I am looking for documentation on the structure of Amiga font files.
>>I have the 1.3 RKM's, and while they do describe the contents of
>>the font contents file (the foo.font file), they do not describe how the
>>actual font bitmap file (the foo/number file) is layed out.

>Dan Watts writes:
>I've not seen a response to this request yet.  I also would like to know
>what the font file layout is as I'd like to design some of my own fonts.
>Does anyone know what the layout is? I'd like to use DPaintIII to design
>my fonts.  Is it possible to cut from here and generate a font file?

There was an excellent article in Volume 1 Issue 1 of the Amiga
Transactor (April 1988) on pages 59-62.  It was by Betty Clay
and was called "And What Are Little Fonts Made Of?".

--
mail:  seh@pmafire.UUCP                 Steve Holaday
  or   !uunet!pmafire!seh        I *HATE* long signature files!

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (07/04/90)

In article <803@ki.UUCP>, dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
> In article <1990Jun28.173030.18051@agate.berkeley.edu> you write:
> >I am looking for documentation on the structure of Amiga font files.
> >I have the 1.3 RKM's, and while they do describe the contents of
> >the font contents file (the foo.font file), they do not describe how the
> >actual font bitmap file (the foo/number file) is layed out.
>
> Dan Watts

There was an article in an early Transactor, probably #1.3 or #1.4, by Betty
Clay that did a real good job of explaining these. I'm not sure where you
can find old copies these days but the article sounds like what you need.

---Mike

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jul03.150016.11411@pmafire.UUCP> seh@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Holaday) writes:
>>>John Flanagan writes:
>>>I am looking for documentation on the structure of Amiga font files.
>>Dan Watts writes:
>>I've not seen a response to this request yet.  I also would like to know
>>what the font file layout is as I'd like to design some of my own fonts.
>
>There was an excellent article in Volume 1 Issue 1 of the Amiga
>Transactor (April 1988) on pages 59-62.  It was by Betty Clay
>and was called "And What Are Little Fonts Made Of?".

Unfortunately, this is the one issue of Transactor I don't have.  And since
they are out of business, I don't imagine I can back-order it.  I would
appreciate it if anybody would let me see this article.

Isn't there any official documentation from Commodore that I could get on
this subject?  After all, they must have a specification lying around
_somewhere_ that that they send to people who are developing new fonts.
I would rather get official information, which is guaranteed to remain
valid in the future, than to trust someone's "disassembly," if that is what
Betty's article is based on.  I'd even be willing to become a registered
developer, if that is what it takes to get this kind of information.
Speaking of which, what is the procedure nowadays for registering as a
developer?

Thanks,

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jun28.173030.18051@agate.berkeley.edu> you write:
>I am looking for documentation on the structure of Amiga font files.
>I have the 1.3 RKM's, and while they do describe the contents of
>the font contents file (the foo.font file), they do not describe how the
>actual font bitmap file (the foo/number file) is layed out.

Well, in my old RKM Libraries&Devices, there is an example font that
defines four card symbols. Since font files are object files
(loaded with LoadSeg), the font is written as an assembler text with
lots of 'dc' pseudo instructions.

I doubt that the RKM1.3 does not show this or another example.

--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (07/04/90)

In article <803@ki.UUCP> dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
>In article <1990Jun28.173030.18051@agate.berkeley.edu> you write:
>>I am looking for documentation on the structure of Amiga font files.
>>I have the 1.3 RKM's, and while they do describe the contents of
>>the font contents file (the foo.font file), they do not describe how the
>>actual font bitmap file (the foo/number file) is layed out.
>
>I've not seen a response to this request yet.  I also would like to know
>what the font file layout is as I'd like to design some of my own fonts.
>Does anyone know what the layout is? I'd like to use DPaintIII to design
>my fonts.  Is it possible to cut from here and generate a font file?

Since a large part of the answer involves explaining how to write
a relocable program linker, I can see why people haven't jumped
up to provide the answer :-)

The easy way is to get your output in the form of an  assembler file
(like the example in the rom kernal manual), assemble it, link it,
and you're all set.

The hard way is to include a linker in your font editor.

			andy

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Of course it's the murder weapon.  Who would frame someone with a fake?"

stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu (Gregory Stelmack) (07/06/90)

In article <803@ki.UUCP> dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
>I've not seen a response to this request yet.  I also would like to know
>what the font file layout is as I'd like to design some of my own fonts.

Since no one responded to the earlier one, I'll throw in what small info
I have. "Amiga Graphics Inside & Out" by Abacus, p. 407 mentions that fonts
are stored in a packed array, as if each character were drawn next to each
other in one long line, i.e. the resulting "bitmap" has a height equal to
the font height and a width equal to the sum of the widths of the individual
characters. Other than this, I have no info...

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu or stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!