[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Game vs Multitasking

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (05/29/90)

If there isn't a message on the box saying that the game is
harddrive-installable and multi-tasking, I don't buy it. If those messages
aren't there, you can bet (most of the time) that it'll be one of those games
that causes so many headaches for those of us who don't like to re-boot "just
to play a game" or makes it impossible to "play just for a few minutes while my
brain settles down from all this programming/animating/word
processing/what-have-you".
        Please, make your game multi-tasking and harddrive installable and SAY
SO ON THE BOX!
Please please please please please please... (ad infinitum)
-Ron Tarrant

mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (05/29/90)

 Hi,

 A few days ago I asked about the low memory of Amiga. Well I later noticed
that i(pc) and i(a0) are as fast addressing modes as $short, so I think
a can use i(pc) and put the variables in the same hunk as code. i(a0) isn't
too good because it eats one address register and almost all working in my
program are in registers for speed.

Okay, that's about that, now I had few other questions (or more specific I
would like to hear your opinions on following subjects):

1. Should game be HD-installable?
   - IMHO I think this is quite useless because many HD drivers eat chip-memory
     and you will run out of it especially on 512k chip-ram machines. And you
     can make Disk-based routines lot more faster and more data in one disk
     which helps people without HD.

2. Should game multitask?
   - IMHO I at least don't want to play those shit games with multitasking on.
     But if we are talking about for example following "Multitasking": Game
     disables interrupts while playing but for example if you pause it it will
     turn interrupts back on. I would like to make my game work like this. But
     there are few drawbacks: Copy-protection is alot harder to make and you
     very easily run out of memory.

3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?
   - IMHO memory is must because it makes the game lot more playable and HD-people
     don't argue about the loading speed. Extra drives eat memory which causes
     serious trouble in 512k machines. Processors are useless in simple scroll
     games because they at least should be using the blitter in nasty-mode so
     processors don't speed it up too much. Nowadays the games also must run on
     all motorola 680x0 family thanks to A3000. But by detecting I mean really
     notice the speed increase and add new things to game (BTW my program notices
     but noone of my friends has 68020/68030 so I dunno how much it helps:-).

4. Should game be exitable?
   - IMHO exitable games are harder to protect and you can't destroy anything in memory
     and you will end up again without enough memory:-(

 And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games while doing
something else? If you do, do you really like those every now and then updating
games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).

 I provide some examples what I think of games just for fun:

  - Datastorm   	-fast'craze action but too easy
  - Xenon		-too much button hitting and quite hard
			(took almost week to complete)
  - Xenon II		-great but easy
  - Blood Money 	-stupid hit wall and die game
  - Interceptor 	-great but too easy to complete
  - Falcon		-too much buttons
  - Dungeon Master	-great puzzles and good graphics and nice gameplay
  - Simcity		-boring just let it run 20+ hours and buy everything
  - Elite		-great but how to get missions? Gets boring without 'em.
  - Test Drive I&II	-slow and unplayable
  - Stunt Car Racer	-good gameplay with two computers bit boring alone
  - Populous		-computer has too much advantage
  - Hybris		-good but easy
  - Battle aquadron	-good but easy

It's 0300 am I think I go now. Bye!

 MITT

--
Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen
Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) (05/29/90)

A couple of items here caught my eye.

>Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen writes:
[ ... ]
>1. Should game be HD-installable?
>   - IMHO I think this is quite useless because many HD drivers eat chip-memory
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     and you will run out of it especially on 512k chip-ram machines. And you
>     can make Disk-based routines lot more faster and more data in one disk
>     which helps people without HD.

Useless is a relative term.  I can assure you that any hard disk owner wants
to install everything on the hard disk.  If those with 512K chip-ram can't
do it cuz of memory constraints, that's probably reasonable, those folks can
still run it off the floppy.  But why should those with 1M chip-ram and HD
be forced to use a floppy?

I hardly *ever* use my floppy for other than installing software, and perfer
to keep it that way.

[ ... ]
>4. Should game be exitable?
>   - IMHO exitable games are harder to protect and you can't destroy anything
>     in memory and you will end up again without enough memory:-(

Aarrrgh.  I don't like to reboot, period.  I don't see why I should have to
just for a stupid game.

Look at it this way.  Nowadays, the degree of system friendliness of a game
is my top consideration when deciding on a purchase.  It didn't use to be
that way.  I bought several games of the boot-from-the-floppy-then-reboot
variety, then found out that I never play any of them because I can't stand
the routine.  I've logged more hours playing the version of Tetrix posted
to the binaries group than all my other games combined.  Why?  Because it's
right there, nice and convenient (also addictive as hell, but that's
another story ;-).

On the one hand, we all talk about how the Amazing-Amiga-Is-The-Only-
Computer-With-True-Multitasking, then go and write and buy these games that
torpedo the whole concept.  Blech.

I wonder how many people would play rogue if you had to load it in from
9-track tape every time, then restart Unix afterwords?

> And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games while
>doing something else? If you do, do you really like those every now and then
>updating games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).

That is an unfair blanket statement, and you know it.  Besides, I think that
what most people really care about is the ability to exit cleanly.  They may
not be able to actually "do work" while playing the game, but at least they
don't have to shut everything down.  What's to stop you from providing a
"friendly" and "nasty" mode, anyway?  If I want to tolerate slower operation
in order to be able to download while playing (for example), that's my
business.  As for memory, your argument falls apart once you consider the
existence of machines with more than 512K chip RAM.  You're going to tell me
that on an A3000 with 2 Meg of chip and 16 Meg of fast RAM, your game is
going to encounter *any* memory restrictions at all?

Just one paying customer's opinion...

                                      - Neil

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs        //     What was sliced bread
att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com   \X/    the greatest thing since?

In article <MT87692.90May29030535@uikku.tut.fi> mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
> A few days ago I asked about the low memory of Amiga. Well I later noticed
>that i(pc) and i(a0) are as fast addressing modes as $short, so I think
>a can use i(pc) and put the variables in the same hunk as code. i(a0) isn't
>too good because it eats one address register and almost all working in my
>program are in registers for speed.

	You can't use d(pc) as a destination.  Use d(An), the extra register
doesn't hurt enough to be a problem if you know what you're doing.

>1. Should game be HD-installable?
>   - IMHO I think this is quite useless because many HD drivers eat chip-memory
>     and you will run out of it especially on 512k chip-ram machines. And you
>     can make Disk-based routines lot more faster and more data in one disk
>     which helps people without HD.

	First: HD's put their buffers/etc in fast ram if it's available.
Second: Many people (myself included) greatly dislike games that aren't
HD-installable.  I can never find disks, and I have many hundreds of Meg of
HD storage.  Plus floppies are SO slow once you're used to fast Quantums. :-)

>2. Should game multitask?
>   - IMHO I at least don't want to play those shit games with multitasking on.
>     But if we are talking about for example following "Multitasking": Game
>     disables interrupts while playing but for example if you pause it it will
>     turn interrupts back on. I would like to make my game work like this. But
>     there are few drawbacks: Copy-protection is alot harder to make and you
>     very easily run out of memory.

	I can live with arcade-like games that disable multi-tasking (though
if they can manage with tasking turned on then I'm more likely to use/like
them, since I often have to switch what I'm doing, and never reboot unless
I'm forced to.  If you must disable it, I _FAR_ prefer games that manage to
restore the system on exit, and/or during pause.  I get very annoyed with
disk-based copy protection - it tends to die, and I never bother annoying the
publisher, so effectively the game is gone.  Also, as I said, finding program
disks is a losing proposition for me.

>3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?
>   - IMHO memory is must because it makes the game lot more playable and HD-people
>     don't argue about the loading speed. Extra drives eat memory which causes
>     serious trouble in 512k machines. Processors are useless in simple scroll
>     games because they at least should be using the blitter in nasty-mode so
>     processors don't speed it up too much. Nowadays the games also must run on
>     all motorola 680x0 family thanks to A3000. But by detecting I mean really
>     notice the speed increase and add new things to game (BTW my program notices
>     but noone of my friends has 68020/68030 so I dunno how much it helps:-).

	They had to before the A3000 too.  I will not reboot my machine 2500
in 68000 mode merely to play a game, plus the game will be SOO much slower
(since it also makes me lose all my fastram).  The flight simulators (at least
some of them) handle it pretty well, they increase the refresh speed (DON'T
speed up gameplay!)

	BTW, the "standard" "scroll games" turn me off.  pretty shoot-em-ups,
who cares?  Give me something with meat to it, that isn't all reactions.

>4. Should game be exitable?
>   - IMHO exitable games are harder to protect and you can't destroy anything in memory
>     and you will end up again without enough memory:-(

	See above.  I've ported games to the amiga (before I joined Commodore),
and I didn't have much trouble with that (1 meg+ of C source code).

> And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games while doing
>something else? If you do, do you really like those every now and then updating
>games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).

	I have no memory shortage (most people in the US have at least 1 Meg
of ram, many have 3 or more.)  I sometimes play games when I bored late at
night, as a break from coding/whatever, and then go back to whatever I was
doing, often when someone comes in to ask me a question or tell me about a
bug.

> I provide some examples what I think of games just for fun:
>  - Falcon		-too much buttons
	Nah, good game!  I really like simulations, the more accurate the
better (even at the expense of some gameplay).
>  - Simcity		-boring just let it run 20+ hours and buy everything
	Great fun!  More hours were lost here in engineering than I'd care
to admit after that came out.

	The rest I haven't played (I stick to strategy games, simulations,
and the like most of the time).

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

bjornk@bula.se (Bjorn Knutsson) (05/29/90)

In article <MT87692.90May29030535@uikku.tut.fi> mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
[...]
>Okay, that's about that, now I had few other questions (or more specific I
>would like to hear your opinions on following subjects):
>
>1. Should game be HD-installable?
>
>   - IMHO I think this is quite useless because many HD drivers eat chip-memory
>     and you will run out of it especially on 512k chip-ram machines. And you
>     can make Disk-based routines lot more faster and more data in one disk
>     which helps people without HD.

Yes. If you have a harddisk, you don't want to fool around with
floppies.  I wouldn't buy a game that can't be installed on my
harddisk. You may think this is useless, but a lot of people don't.
And besides, the kind of people who buy harddisk are the same kind
of people who are prepared to BUY your program. You don't want to
piss them off since they're your (potential) customers.

>2. Should game multitask?
>   - IMHO I at least don't want to play those shit games with multitasking on.
>     But if we are talking about for example following "Multitasking": Game
>     disables interrupts while playing but for example if you pause it it will
>     turn interrupts back on. I would like to make my game work like this. But
>     there are few drawbacks: Copy-protection is alot harder to make and you
>     very easily run out of memory.

Again, I wouldn't buy a game that won't let me multitask. I don't even want
programs that take over the display. Also, if your program is copy protected
I will hesitate to buy it. Word-in-the-manual, if done right, is OK. Any disk
based protection is out.

>3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?
>   - IMHO memory is must because it makes the game lot more playable and HD-people
>     don't argue about the loading speed. Extra drives eat memory which causes
>     serious trouble in 512k machines. Processors are useless in simple scroll
>     games because they at least should be using the blitter in nasty-mode so
>     processors don't speed it up too much. Nowadays the games also must run on
>     all motorola 680x0 family thanks to A3000. But by detecting I mean really
>     notice the speed increase and add new things to game (BTW my program notices
>     but noone of my friends has 68020/68030 so I dunno how much it helps:-).

A program should, of course, use as little memory as possible if it's
multitasking. Offer the user the ability to cache stuff that is needed
often. Use as little CHIPMEM as possible. The program should, of
course, not use CPU based timing. If you detect a faster processor
give the user the OPTION of adding extras if you like. But don't use
the CPU more than you need. Think about those other tasks. Also, you
shouldn't adapt to faster processors because CBM has released the
A3000. Even an A1000 can have a 68030.

>4. Should game be exitable?
>   - IMHO exitable games are harder to protect and you can't destroy anything in memory
>     and you will end up again without enough memory:-(

Yes. Anything else is not acceptable. I want to be able to start a
game, play it while downloading some files, and then quit the game and
resume work.

> And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games while doing
>something else? If you do, do you really like those every now and then updating
>games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).

I do and I like them. The most important aspect of a game is NOT cute
graphics. It's much more important that the game is fun to play.  One
of my favorite games is The Colony. It multitasks, I can install it on
my harddisk and I can pull down it's window. Now, there are some other
aspects of this game that I don't like, but those would be the same
regardless if the game multitasked or not. The protection used is OK
as protections go. Now, I don't like any form of copy protection, but
I can see why it's needed. The solution used in The Colony is one of
the better I've seen.

Generally, The Colony, while not the best game I've ever played, does
a VERY good job of adapting to your machine. It even adapted its
screen to the size of my overscanned PAL (704*568) workbench screen.

>--
>Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen
>Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut

---
Bjorn Knutsson        / USENET: bjornk@bula.se or sunic!sics!bula!bjornk
Stangholmsbacken 44  /  Phone : +46-8-710 7223
S-127 40 SKARHOLMEN /     "Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the
S W E D E N        /       blink again."  -- Marvin The Paranoid Android

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (05/29/90)

In article <MT87692.90May29030535@uikku.tut.fi> mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
>Okay, that's about that, now I had few other questions (or more specific I
>would like to hear your opinions on following subjects):
>
>1. Should game be HD-installable?

YES!

>2. Should game multitask?

YES!
>   - IMHO I at least don't want to play those shit games with multitasking on.

IMHO I don't want to play those shit games that disable multitasking and
steal the display.  I bought my Amiga because of its multitasking ability!
Why should I pay money for a stupid program that disables the main feature
of the computer?  You could as well turn off the display and tell the user
to connect a Decwriter to the serial port to play the game.

>3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?

Yes, yes, yes.

>4. Should game be exitable?

Yes, of course!

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

In <17866@ultima.cs.uts.oz>, vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Iron Wolf) writes:

>Good for you but when you are blasting a games designer with these statements
>you have to examine the reality of the matter and his point of view as well.
>Now...if you have a DMA SCSI HD you need a buffer in CHIP ram...am I corect?
>(I am not real sure but I assume this is true).

He is not 'blasting a games designer'.  He is answering with an opinion in
response to a direct question.

You are incorrect, unless the machine happens to have ONLY CHIP ram.

Examining the issues from the designers point of view only carries so much
weight. If the designer is designing for himself, fine, but he is not; he is
designing from the point of view of making the game appeal to as wide an
audience as possible. He is being told what is important to those he has asked.

>Also....a VERY large number of the type of people who BUY these games, the
>MARKET, don't have a HD, and quite a few only have 512k. Now unless we want
>to make the cost of development increase by having the programmers write
>variations for hard drives, extra memory and so on, we should be content that
>in general, the games that are written actually WORK on most Amiga
>configurations.

You can talk about what _you_ should be content with, but please do not presume
to tell us that we should accept your standards. Many demand more, and if it is
not forthcoming, will not be forthcoming with their money. The author ignores
wishes and/or demands at his own peril.

>>I wonder how many people would play rogue if you had to load it in from
>>9-track tape every time, then restart Unix afterwords?
>
>Lets not bring up a stupid comparison, UNIX is a lot more cumbersome that
>AmigaDos, and I wonder if you realise how much piracy costs the game industry?
>If the programmers start saying: "Sure, run a cli - make an image of the memory"
>we will find very few commercial quality programs coming out on the market as
>they will be easily available in pirated form.
>
>Every effort should be made to insure the integrity of the software and the
>security of it.

As if it really mattered whether or not a CLI can be brought up... games get
stolen; it's a fact of life. No matter what you do, this will be the case. You
might delay the inevitable, but you will not stop it. Bottom line here, again,
is that I vote with my wallet. Copy protection is high on the list of things
that will make me vote no.

>Now...if we want games to multitask...we dont want security...we dont want
>fast flashy games....we want lots of system overhead when writing simple
>routines....we want somewhat inconsistent reaction times. Well
>Well if this is what you want...take a look; you already have it PD &
>shareware is what is viable for such demands. The quality is generally poorer
>the cost is much less. You want multitasking, well you can get it. I'll stick
>with quality and performance. And the only way to get consistent performance
>is to shut off any interference.

Again, speak for yourself. I will tell you that your priorities are not
absolute immutable physical laws. You buy the ones that take over. I, and many
others will choose to do without.

>You're argument falls apart where you point out that there are machines such
>as the A3000 and 1Mb & 2Mb Amiga's. The majority of Amiga's out there are
>A500's with 512k or at most 1Mb, one..maybe two drives. Adn as such, there
>is what the programmer's MUST cater for to achieve maxmimum market penetration
>and sales. The games MUST have protection to discourage piracy and the games
>must follow the dictates of what the majority of consumers want.

Your argument was never together enough to fall apart. The point is not where
the market is. The point is that the designer asked what was important in a few
specific areas. He was told. Should he choose to ignore it, he will not make
the sale to those who have expressed those opinions, and those who agree with
it. Nobody is forcing him to comply; there are no midnight visits from the
multitasking police. He will make his choices, we will make ours. Simple, neat,
and self policing.

>As the market changes, so will the games..already many games require 1Mb
>and even the European games (which are the majority of good games) are beginning
>to notice that second disk drive stuck onto the machines instead of saying
>"please insert disk 2".

I haven't found European games to be particularly good, but then we obviously
have different ideas on what's good and what isn't; on what's acceptable
behaviour and what isn't.

>So the message gets through and the direction changes.
>
>So in a speculative future where the A750 with 68020 & 1Mb chip mem with two
>drives is the basic model...we will see a lot of the things you are talking about
>but we will also see a lot of games that are written in the same way as todays
>games with more features better performance etc.
>
>The only way that your gripes will be picked up by the programmer's is if
>the majority of the market started feeling the same way.
>
>The main point to remember is that the industry is geared towards the consumer
>and will produce what he wants to see (or more correctly what he is willing
>to pay for)

That's right. You choose to ignore it in your main message, then reverse
yourself here.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

djh@dragon.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (05/30/90)

Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut writes:

>1. Should game be HD-installable?

	Hell yes. If you actually have to ask yourself this question, then
you're still developing on floppies. If it's HD-installable, you're making
it ultra-convenient for stores to demo your software, besides making life
easier on the rest of us. Don't you just LOVE hearing the floppy head grind
when you KNOW the game could sit on your HD?

	FORGET floppy-based copy protection. Use serial numbers or keyword
entry systems and COOPERATE with the system!

>2. Should game multitask?

	If at all possible. Again, stores will give your software a lot more
demo time if they don't have to reboot to run it. Unprofessional! If you
can't, be nice and RESTORE the environment when finished.

>3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?

	If you're using overlays, yes. Load as many overlays as will fit
upon startup. Any file requesters must be able to references any valid
AmigaDOS pathname. Making use of coprocessor features is not so important
for a GAME, unless there's a real performance issue here. Just make sure the
thing RUNS on a 68010 and better - and doesn't speed up because of this!

>4. Should game be exitable?

	If at all possible. Cooperate with the system! The hooks are in
place in the system to do so. Use them whenever possible.

	I recognize that most current Amiga games are not "well-behaved
applications" - much less than the PC & Mac worlds, where all virtually all
quality games are HD-installable and few crash on faster machines.
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (05/30/90)

On 29 May 90 00:05:35 GMT, mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) said:

Mikko> 1. Should game be HD-installable?
Mikko> 2. Should game multitask?
Mikko> 3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?
Mikko> 4. Should game be exitable?

Mikko> And I would like also to know how many of you people really
Mikko> play games while doing something else? If you do, do you really
Mikko> like those every now and then updating games with poor graphics
Mikko> (thanks to memory shortage).

The answer to every one of these questions is a resounding YES.  If
you even need to ask, something's amiss.  Of course, better you ask
than do it wrong.  Stop thinking like a C64 programmer.  You DON'T
have the entire machine at your disposal.  Taking over the machine
will keep MANY people from bothering with it.

More importantly, you're clearly only thinking about your own system
configuration.  There are many variations in configurations and
priorities, and you ignore them at your own risk.  Any HD owner will
NOT want to run your game off floppies, period.  Many people want ANY
game to multitask.  People get very irritated by a game which keeps
megabytes of memory and could go MUCH faster if the game were written
correctly.  And an ever-growing number of users are getting VERY tired
of having to reboot the machine after playing a game.

In short, every point you brought up is a major reason many people
avoid poorly-written games.  Don't second-guess the user.  You might
be concerned about ultimate speed and memory efficiency, but someone
with an A3000 running under KickStart V2.0 with a 25MHz 68030/68882
and 2 Meg of chip RAM, 16 Meg of 32-bit fast RAM, and a 600 Meg 16 ms
hard drive is likely to have far different priorities than the user
with an A1000 running under KickStart V1.2 with an 8 MHz 68000, 512K
chip RAM, no fast RAM and one floppy.

Also, note that a user on a small system may well prefer to sacrifice
some speed for the ability to continue something in the background...
And don't use CPU timing loops!

Do NOT assume everyone in the world has the same type of system as you
have.  It's NOT true.  Even you will probably have a different system
in the future.  Avoid assumptions you don't need to make.  Don't steal
the system or go directly to the hardware.  If you must, then at least
cooperate with the operating system to gain ownership of the hardware
before using it.  You don't need to be unfriendly to the system in the
name of efficiency.  Just learn to do it right.

Basically, follow the rules and guidelines long since established for
developers...

[don't you just hate lectures?  *sigh*  it's justified, anyhow.]

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th St. Apt. 2, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 271-0750

vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Iron Wolf) (05/30/90)

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) writes:

> [...]

If the programmers start saying: "Sure, run a cli - make an image of the memory"
we will find very few commercial quality programs coming out on the market as
they will be easily available in pirated form.

Every effort should be made to insure the integrity of the software and the
security of it.

Now...if we want games to multitask...we dont want security...we dont want
fast flashy games....we want lots of system overhead when writing simple
routines....we want somewhat inconsistent reaction times. Well
Well if this is what you want...take a look; you already have it PD &
shareware is what is viable for such demands. The quality is generally poorer
the cost is much less. You want multitasking, well you can get it. I'll stick
with quality and performance. And the only way to get consistent performance

You may find yourself a little different to the average consumer who freaks
if his arcade qonversion doesn't have all the screens of the original...isn't
as fast, or is too jerky, hasnt got the same quality graphics. To accomodate
the people who buy their favourite conversions and variations and spinoffs
the games programmers have to optimise their code and optimise the system
performance. All this involves shortcuts and the like. The programmers have
to cram their code and graphics in (just because some people have 3M doesnt
mean the people with 512k will be happy...we have to cater to the market)
they have to make their code FAST on a stock-standard amiga. Just because
a 68030 wouldn't blink about running the same thing using the OS, the
mjority of us only have 16bits and 7MHz..we are the main market.

>> And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games while
>>doing something else? If you do, do you really like those every now and then
>>updating games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).

>"friendly" and "nasty" mode, anyway?  If I want to tolerate slower operation
>in order to be able to download while playing (for example), that's my
>business.  As for memory, your argument falls apart once you consider the
>existence of machines with more than 512K chip RAM.  You're going to tell me
>that on an A3000 with 2 Meg of chip and 16 Meg of fast RAM, your game is
>going to encounter *any* memory restrictions at all?

You are right , but if the majority of the market doesn't tolerate the slower
games...that's the programmer's living!

[...]

So get some support and shake the foundations (I would support you if I
could still get games with the same performance etc.)

>Just one paying customer's opinion...

>                                      - Neil

>--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
>Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs        //     What was sliced bread
>att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com   \X/    the greatest thing since?

Not meaning to be personal but just trying to point out a view from a
different angle....IMHO what you say has merit..but I am trying to stress
arguments to the contrary...and what it all really comes down to is the cold
hard green stuff - MONEY!

c u

Iron Wolf

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (05/30/90)

In article <MT87692.90May29030535@uikku.tut.fi> (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
>1. Should game be HD-installable?

In my opinion games do not have to be HD installable, however and this is
a big however, the game should be smart enough to detect autoconfiged RAM
and use it as a "RAM" disk. There are a lot of systems with 512K extra and
many with 2M or more extra RAM, if you can load all of the data off your
floppy into RAM when it is available and then make changing levels and
such extremely fast, then I will like your game.  You should also make
your floppy routines as fast as possible, but you would probably do that
anyway.

>2. Should game multitask?

It is not necessary to be able to download files while your game is
running, but I would like to be able to pause it and pop back to
the the "real world" when I need to. Also, I would like to be able
to start your game and then exit back to a system that is still
usable (this means NO REBOOT is required after your game exits)

>3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?

>   - IMHO memory is must because it makes the game lot more playable and
>     HD-people don't argue about the loading speed.

We are in definite agreement here.

>     Extra drives eat memory which causes serious trouble in 512k machines.

This is a problem but you should strive to run with _two_ floppies attached.
At least that way you won't get too many people mad at you.

> Processors are useless in simple scroll games because they at least should
> be using the blitter in nasty-mode so processors don't speed it up too much.

Two things, your game _must_ work on a 68010 processor and should work
on an 020 and 030 processor. Games that change speed when the processor
is changed are probably broken. How difficult is it to let the CIA timer
run and give you an accurate time reference ?

> Nowadays the games also must run on all motorola 680x0 family thanks
> to A3000. But by detecting I mean really notice the speed increase
> and add new things to game (BTW my program notices but noone of my
> friends has 68020/68030 so I dunno how much it helps:-).

Take the time to find a system that is _different_ than you and your
friends. I am sure that the an authorized Commodore representative,
in the interest of helping a developer out, could find a machine for
you to test on.

>4. Should game be exitable?
>   - IMHO exitable games are harder to protect and you can't
>     destroy anything in memory and you will end up again without
>     enough memory:-(

First, continually try to use the least amount of memory possible.
Second, the game _Should_ be exitable. If you can detect that there
is not enough memory to run you should put up a requester saying :
	"Not enough memory to run, continuing to run will
	 require a reboot on exit. Continue ? (Yes) (No)"

That way, if I knew I wasn't going to have a problem I could say yes,
or I could cancel the game, go save my file changes and then restart
the game and say "yes" the second time. Why are "exitable" games any
harder to protect than non-exitable ones?

> And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games
> while doing something else? If you do, do you really like those every
> now and then updating games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).

You are confusing technical excellence in graphics with Game quality.
I have played video games that had excellent graphics but the "quality"
of the game sucked eggs! "Revenge of the Jedi" is a good example (it's
an arcade game). Other arcade games such "Looping" and "Mr. Doo" had
a good game play but very poor graphics.  I would also challenge your
two assertions that a) Multitasking games are "every now and then" updating
and b) "thanks to memory shortage". I think both are "stupid programmer
couldn't figure it out."

Cheers,

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

[Poaching on Devon's article because he formatted the questions so nicely!]

In article <DEVEN.90May29214958@netserv2.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

>On 29 May 90 00:05:35 GMT, mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) said:
>
>Mikko> 1. Should game be HD-installable?
>Mikko> 2. Should game multitask?
>Mikko> 3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?
>Mikko> 4. Should game be exitable?
>
>Mikko> And I would like also to know how many of you people really
>Mikko> play games while doing something else? If you do, do you really
>Mikko> like those every now and then updating games with poor graphics
>Mikko> (thanks to memory shortage).

1) Not only HD installable, but also Rad: installable for even faster
   performance.  "It Came from the Desert" is a simply fabulous Amiga
   game, but even though it is HD mountable, it is not Rad: mountable.
   [Guess who spent his $.05 on memory instead of a HD?  ;-) ]

   As mentioned by others, listening to the floppy drive grind its
   heads flat accessing the same data over and over, when my machine
   has plenty of resources to copy the game into memory and never see
   the floppy drive again, sets my teeth on edge.

   Ditto copy protection schemes that abuse my floppy drives.

                 --- Copy Protection, a Digression ---

   I absolutely refuse to buy any more of the (very nice) Psygnosis
   games because of the damage their copy protection sounds like it is
   doing to my floppy drive on startup.

   In fact, since copy protection schemes just challenge my hacker
   friends (and me, too, pretty soon, I'm starting to see red on this
   subject) to see who can be the first to get a "broken" copy on the
   street, forget copy protection altogether.

   I promise, if your game is in anyway accessible (including reading
   it as raw MFM data off the floppy) somebody out there knows a way to
   beat your copy protection scheme, and will get a big ego boost out
   of putting it on the street with his/her "hacker ID" on it.

   If you feel you must copy protect, unlike the many game manufacturers
   who think thay can survive by treating their customers like possible
   repeat customers rather than known criminals, go with "word in the
   manual" schemes, or better, data from a large, hard to photocopy map
   like Starflight I uses.

   Do _not_ use a keyword sheet that is physically difficult for a large
   part of your potential customer base to read.  Once I have isolated
   the group printing black ink on purple paper (you listening Electronic
   Slime?) that makes my 46 year old eyes hurt so much to read tears
   start flowing, they go on my list of companies never buy from again,
   too.

   Never, never, never make me turn off my machine to use your game.  I
   keep lots of valuable stuff in Rad:, ready to use, and if you can keep
   from trashing it and don't make me power down, I can be up and running
   30 seconds after I finish with your game, even if you make me warm boot.

   In general, if you cannot find a copy protection scheme that doesn't
   actively irritate your customers in normal operation, _don't_ use one.
   We _won't_ be back.  We _will_ tell all our friends the game is a
   bummer, and with the net, we have a _lot_ of friends listening.

2) Yes! My favorite here is POCO, a really nice set of puzzles that
   takes very little CPU time while I'm staring at the screen, and
   so I can safely do a download while I'm working on one of the
   puzzles.

   I bought a multi-tasking machine, and loaded it down with memory,
   because I WANT TO MULTI-TASK -- ALL THE TIME.  Don't think or plan
   that your game is the most important thing going on within my very
   large, very capable machine, even when I'm playing it!  I might be
   raytracing a picture that takes several days, and want to play your
   game once in a while while this more important background task goes
   on.  I might have left a job going, and told the kids they could
   use the computer for game playing while the job runs.

   Guess what?

   That means your game _has_to_ start from the Workbench without a
   reboot, it _has to_ mind its P's and Q's about resource acquisition
   and release, it _has to_ return to normal Workbench status when it
   is done, it _has to_ obey screen flipping so I can reach past the
   kids and check the status of my background job, it _has to_ leave
   some cpu cycles for the background job(s) [and if it runs on both
   an A1000 and an A3000, it is absolutely criminal to tie up all the
   resources of the latter machine when you need only the resources
   of the former machine.  Don't busy wait, don't fidget.  Do exactly
   what it takes to make your game run, and sleep the rest of the time].

   Let _me_ decide if the game performance is too doggy to multi-task
   with the job I have running; let _me_ pause my background job if I
   want better performance from your game; do _not_ make that decision
   for me.  Maybe I'm running the background job deliberately to slow
   your game down to the point where my older reflexes and more jangled
   nerves have a chance.  Don't second guess me.

3) If there are extra resources available, _ask_ me if you should use
   them!  If I'm running stand alone and I can get more screens in
   memory, I'll say yes.  If I've got something else going on that is
   going to choke and die if you grab all the memory, I'll say no!
   This is an Amiga!  Put the choice in a menu, _tell_ me how to get to
   it _and_ what it means, and let _me_ decide.  The more controls you
   give me, the better use you make of my machine, the better you
   treat me and my machine, the faster my friends will hear about your
   great game (see Poco above, nearly the ideal multitasking game),
   and the more likely I'll be to buy your next one.

4) I've already said it, but of course you should exit!  Give up the
   paranoia!  Poco isn't copy protected, it multitasks, the game is
   completely described on the screen so you don't need a manual, and
   it is lots of fun and full of wonderful puzzles.  I tell my friends
   to _buy_ a copy; I want the folks who made this game to be
   encouraged by lots of cash return to write another great game that
   is completely compatible with me and with my computer.

             --- Abusive Posting Material Follows ---

   Contrast that with Dragon's Lair, which wipes out the operating
   system, is impossible to back up, grinds the disk drives to death,
   isn't in standard format so I can't load it into Rad: (where it
   would fit easily except the idiots decompress their data during the
   hard disk install so it takes 10 meg instead of 5.28 meg if it
   were installed compressed and decompressed for each use like it is
   off floppies); if I had the skills to take that game apart and make
   it work like an Amiga game, it would be on the street in a flash,
   and I wouldn't have an iota of guilt about it.  I hate spending
   $50 to be abused like that, and I get angry at the manufacturer.

   [Someone in my tenuous state of sanity can justify all sorts of
   nastiness when we feel put upon, and there are a lot of us out
   here lurking in wait for your abusive game, so don't abuse us.]

   [At the rate I'm going, I should have the skills to take this game
   (and its descendants) apart by this time next year, if somebody
   doesn't beat me to it.

   Watch for "DL.unprot.zoo" on a BBS near you!  ;-) ]

n) One last little note:  don't lie to me!  I just bought Aquanaut.
   They lied through their teeth!  Guess what my response will be?

   From the manual:  "A special data format was used on the disks in
   order to accomodate such a large program.  This means that you
   cannot make backup copies of your master disks using standard disk
   copying procedures or utilities...Send $7.50...".  We're talking
   ripoff here!

   This is total BS!  I copied all but one crucial file onto a backup
   set of disks by saying "copy df0: to df1: all".  There is _no_
   special data format; the files compress about 40% apiece if you
   zoo them, which means if they have a compression scheme, it is a
   really lousy one.  Since I just wrote a directory walker for a
   whole disk (just to get out a set of full path names so I could
   do a quick inventory of a couple of hundred disks with an output
   format much more useful than "dir all" provides), it shouldn't
   take too long to find out how they hid one 200 block file.  If
   they couldn't figure out how to do file compression, they aren't
   to likely to have developed a really challenging copy protection
   scheme.

   Watch for "Aqua.unprot.zoo". ;-)

   [On the bright side, the game is pretty fun so far, and the
   "Operation Wet Feet" manual is a (perhaps unintentional) riot
   to read.]

   Since my main project right now is improving the existing Arithmetic
   Data Compression algorithm for speed and effectiveness, and it looks
   like it is especially good at compressing image files, maybe I'll
   send them back their game running from one disk, just to prove that
   they could have been telling the truth, if they had been willing to
   do the work, instead of just saying they had (and if they didn't
   think their customers were trash suitable for such abuse).  ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.
(xanthian@zorch.sf-bay.org)

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (05/30/90)

I don't care how good the game is.  If it requires me to reboot after
running the game, I won't buy it at all.  If it doesn't allow me to
multitask, then it has to be an outrageously good game.

For example, Interstel's Empire does NOT require a reboot, and the other
tasks appear to continue working.  However, once you're in the game, you
can't switch back to the other screens.  Still, the game is quite good, and
I enjoy it, so I bought it.  I have never regretted the purchase, and am
currently involved in a Tourney on CI$.

As a counter-example, I also have Marble Madness.  It requires a reboot,
nothing else runs, and it still gets jerky.  Even moreso since it requires
floppy access.  I regret ever buying the thing, because although I enjoy
playing the game, I *HATE* the way it forces me to reboot.  As a result,
I rarely played the game, and haven't touched it in the last 2 years.

Ever since, my first question is: Does it force me to reboot?  If the
answer is yes, then I don't waste any more of my time on it.

Sorry!  But that's the way it is.  And I expect that the market is more
my way, than the game addict's way.  Who buy's Amiga?  Someone who just
want's to play games?  No!  THEY go buy something like Nintendo.  People
who are willing to plunk down the money to buy an Amiga want it to do
more than just play games!

					Enjoy!
						Edwin.

" Seaman) (05/31/90)

<
< >>Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen writes:
< >>1. Should game be HD-installable?
< >>   - IMHO I think this is quite useless because many HD drivers eat
< >>     chip-memory...
<
< >I hardly *ever* use my floppy for other than installing software, and perfer
< >to keep it that way.
<
< Good for you but when you are blasting a games designer with these statements
< you have to examine the reality of the matter and his point of view as well.
< Now...if you have a DMA SCSI HD you need a buffer in CHIP ram...am I corect?
< (I am not real sure but I assume this is true).

My 2091 (as well as the A2090a that preceded it) uses no CHIP RAM at all.
My 2500 has the same amount of CHIP RAM available as my single floppy A1000,
when using the same startup-sequence.

< Also....a VERY large number of the type of people who BUY these games, the
< MARKET, don't have a HD, and quite a few only have 512k. Now unless we want
< to make the cost of development increase by having the programmers write
< variations for hard drives, extra memory and so on, we should be content that
< in general, the games that are written actually WORK on most Amiga
< configurations.

Yes, there are a large number of 512K, single (or dual) floppy A500 owners
out there purchasing games.  There are also many 1MB+, small- to medium-sized
hard disk A500/A2000 owners who buy games.  There is no reason that a
developer cannot accomodate both users.  The development costs required to
provide the ability to run from a hard disk or support extra memory are
minimal.  It also should not impact the operation on your single floppy A500
in any way.

[...]

While this may work on an Atari ST, I have never seen a successful memory
dump of an Amiga (with multitasking enabled) that could be used to boot a
system.  Besides, there are non-disk methods of copy protection that work
quite well.  They may be slightly inconvenient, but they work.

< Every effort should be made to insure the integrity of the software and the
< security of it.

I agree completely, however...

< Now...if we want games to multitask...we dont want security...we dont want
< fast flashy games....we want lots of system overhead when writing simple
< routines....we want somewhat inconsistent reaction times. Well
< Well if this is what you want...take a look; you already have it PD &
< shareware is what is viable for such demands. The quality is generally poorer
< the cost is much less. You want multitasking, well you can get it. I'll stick
< with quality and performance. And the only way to get consistent performance
< is to shut off any interference.

There are certain type of games that do not perform well while mutitasking,
but there are also types that do perform quite well.  For the average
'shoot-em-up', or games that play in 'real-time', this can be a problem.
These games can, and should, give the user THE OPTION to run with or
without multitasking.  Let me decide what I can live with.  There are also
schools of thought that have been mentioned before, such as disabling
mutitasking during game play, but re-enabling it while the game is paused.
I realize this would not be too convenient on a 512K machine, but then, you
are not required to use that option on a 512K machine.

< You may find yourself a little different to the average consumer who freaks
< if his arcade qonversion doesn't have all the screens of the original...isn't
< as fast, or is too jerky, hasnt got the same quality graphics.

I doubt that the 'average' Amiga consumer is going to 'freak' if the Amiga
conversion of his/her favorite arcade game doesn't have 'all the screens of
the original'.  Most Amiga owners I know prefer original work over arcade
translations.

< To accomodate
< the people who buy their favourite conversions and variations and spinoffs
< the games programmers have to optimise their code and optimise the system
< performance. All this involves shortcuts and the like. The programmers have
< to cram their code and graphics in (just because some people have 3M doesnt
< mean the people with 512k will be happy...we have to cater to the market)
< they have to make their code FAST on a stock-standard amiga. Just because
< a 68030 wouldn't blink about running the same thing using the OS, the
< mjority of us only have 16bits and 7MHz..we are the main market.

As I mentioned above, the fact that there are 512K A500 owners out there
should not prevent me from having THE OPTION to install a game on my
105MB Quantum hard disk, or prevent me from having THE OPTION of running
the game in multitasking mode on my 5MB A2500.

< >>And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games while
< >>doing something else? If you do, do you really like those every now and then
< >>updating games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).
<
< >If I want to tolerate slower operation
< >in order to be able to download while playing (for example), that's my
< >business.  As for memory, your argument falls apart once you consider the
< >existence of machines with more than 512K chip RAM.  You're going to tell me
< >that on an A3000 with 2 Meg of chip and 16 Meg of fast RAM, your game is
< >going to encounter *any* memory restrictions at all?
<
< You are right , but if the majority of the market doesn't tolerate the slower
< games...that's the programmer's living!

How many market surveys have you conducted to determine what the majority
of the market will or will not tolerate?  The majority of Amiga owners I
know prefer multitasking, feature-rich games that tailor themselves to an
individual system, rather than the lowest common denominator.

< You're argument falls apart where you point out that there are machines such
< as the A3000 and 1Mb & 2Mb Amiga's. The majority of Amiga's out there are
< A500's with 512k or at most 1Mb, one..maybe two drives. Adn as such, there
< is what the programmer's MUST cater for to achieve maxmimum market penetration
< and sales. The games MUST have protection to discourage piracy and the games
< must follow the dictates of what the majority of consumers want.

Not true.  To achieve maximum market penetration, a developer must produce
a product that can ADAPT to differing configurations.  Do you have any idea
how people would react in the MS-DOS world if developers only supported
CGA or 512K system RAM?  These are still far and away the lowest common
denominator, but the VAST majority of software now supports VGA and
several memory expansion standards.

< As the market changes, so will the games..already many games require 1Mb
< and even the European games (which are the majority of good games) are beginning
< to notice that second disk drive stuck onto the machines instead of saying
< "please insert disk 2".
<
< So the message gets through and the direction changes.

Here you are contradicting yourself.  If the majority of the market base is
still 512K A500's, then there is no message to be heard.  The fact that many
games DO support hard disks, second drives, and extra memory (and have done
so for more that two years), shows that smart developers write code that
can exist in many environments.

< The only way that your gripes will be picked up by the programmer's is if
< the majority of the market started feeling the same way.

Take a moment to count the number of articles posted here that voiced
the same sentiments as Neil's article.  If this doesn't speak for itself,
I don't know what could.

< >Just one paying customer's opinion...
<
< >                                      - Neil
<
< Not meaning to be personal but just trying to point out a view from a
< different angle....IMHO what you say has merit..but I am trying to stress
< arguments to the contrary...and what it all really comes down to is the cold
< hard green stuff - MONEY!
<
< Iron Wolf

No flames intended here, either.  I'm just trying to point out that there
doesn't need to be an argument at all.  Amiga games should be designed to work
exactly as you described.  These same games, however, should also be able
to work exactly as I (and Neil, and _many_ others on the net) have described.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
cseaman@sequent <or>              |||    -- -- -     I'm Outta Here, Man!

martens@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (06/01/90)

In article <5610@netxcom.DHL.COM> ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>I don't care how good the game is.  If it requires me to reboot after
>running the game, I won't buy it at all.  If it doesn't allow me to
>multitask, then it has to be an outrageously good game.

I used to feel this way, but now, even if the misbehaving game is
outrageously good, I don't want it.  Rebooting and reloading all my
software takes too much time to go through it for a brief diversion
(e.g. a game).  Policy:

1) If a game forces a reboot, is copy protected, or interferes with
   standard multitasking (i.e., it was written by a programmer with a
   Commodore 64, IBM PC, or Macintosh mentality), don't buy it.

2) If you get a game home, and then find out it forces a reboot, is
   copy protected, or interferes with standard multitasking, take or
   send it back to where it came from, and get your money back.

I haven't had any trouble getting my money back on the few behavioral
problems I've purchased, and would strongly encourage anyone to do the
same.  Let's get rid of garbage masquerading as Amiga software.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Chemlawn, trademark, suburban distributor of toxic chemicals.

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/01/90)

Larry Phillips comments are on the mark here. To put it more succinctly :

When a professional developer (someone who will sell the results of
their work for money) decides to develop a product they will have to
make many design decisions that affect the final outcome. A good
sampling of the types of design decisions that have to be made when
developing a game were posted by Mikko.  The ultimate answer is that
each decision will have one of three effects on the final product :
fewer will buy it, none, more will buy it.  Determining which of these
effects it will have is a VERY difficult job. To make such decisions a
developer can do a market survey such as Mikko did and ask for open
ended feedback. This is really only effective when the developer has a
good idea of the background of the people who are responding to the
survey. The reason the background is needed is that the effect will
vary depending on the "type" of customer. Decision A may have the
effect that more "professional" users of Amigas will buy the product
but fewer "student" users will.  The key is to figure out the aggregate
change of buyers, either positive or negative. This is what a good
marketing person can do. A good marketing person is as good as gold,
a bad one can bankrupt you in a hurry. If you are a one person shop
(does the back of your "President" business card read "Janitor" ? :-)
then you have to do both jobs. The danger is assuming that because you
are a damn good developer, you are also a damn good marketeer. There
are different skill sets involved. I spent a year here at Sun working
very closely with the Product Marketing group and learned a _lot_ .
Prior to that I thought of Marketeers as glorified combination Public
Relations/Salesperson types.

--

w-stephm@microsoft.UUCP (Stephan MUELLER) (06/01/90)

In article <MT87692.90May29030535@uikku.tut.fi> mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
%1. Should game be HD-installable?
  Yes.  My word processor is HD-installable.  My compilers are
  HD-installable.  My terminal emulator is HD-installable.  The games
  I play are HD-installable.  I see no fundamental difference between
  them as far as hard disks go.  All are applications.  There is no
  reason why I shouldn't want to simultaneously use any combination of
  them.

%2. Should game multitask?
%   - IMHO I at least don't want to play those shit games with multitasking on.
  The quality of a game is independent of whether it multitasks or not.
  There are good games that do multitask (Tetrix.  MindWalker, for
  example)  There are bad games that do not multitask.  Take up the
  challenge:  write a truly awe-inspiring game that *does* multitask.
  Give us fabulous performance by using brilliant algorithms, not by
  nuking the OS.
%     But if we are talking about for example following "Multitasking": Game
%     disables interrupts while playing but for example if you pause it it will
%     turn interrupts back on. I would like to make my game work like this. But
%     there are few drawbacks: Copy-protection is alot harder to make and you
%     very easily run out of memory.
  If you copy-protect it, I will not buy it.  "You don't even know me, but
  you don't trust me" is the message I get from copy-protection.

%3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors?
  Yes.  As I stated above, games are in my mind equivalent to other
  applications.  What good are extra memory/drives/processors if no
  application uses them?  If memory/drives/processors are useful to
  some applications, why not all?
%4. Should game be exitable?
  Yes.

% And I would like also to know how many of you people really play
% games while doing something else? If you do, do you really like
% those every now and then updating
% games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).

All the time.  Tetrix is a great way to kill time while downloading/
compiling/TeXing etc.
Simcity is great to run in the background while doing anything.
I even run games while running other games:  while playing Tetrix
I get called to the phone.   Someone else can start up another
copy of Tetrix and play, without affecting my game in progress.

In a nutshell:  multitasking is a fabulous tool.  Please don't assume
I don't need it/don't use it/don't want it.

% I provide some examples what I think of games just for fun:
<list of action games deleted>

There are many games, not action-oriented, which are equally fun.
Try Shanghai sometime.  As for performance: there are games with
fabulous graphics and high performance running on the lowly C-64.
Surely, on the Amiga, running at 7x the speed, with our favourite
anthropomorphic chip set, we can do the same without trashing
the OS.

Please.  Just say no to concurrency-hostile software.  Leave the
games that take over the whole machine on the Nintendos.

%Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen

stephan(Nothing personal against the Nintendos);

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/01/90)

In article <5610@netxcom.DHL.COM>, ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) writes:

|> For example, Interstel's Empire does NOT require a reboot, and the other
|> tasks appear to continue working.  However, once you're in the game, you
|> can't switch back to the other screens.  Still, the game is quite good, and
|> I enjoy it, so I bought it.  I have never regretted the purchase, and am
|> currently involved in a Tourney on CI$.

Empire is a simulation game, not a fast action game. I also think it's a real
bad game now (it seems pretty old compared to the recent ones).
Try a shoot'em'up in a multitasking environment. Would you like your sheep to
move at different speeds depending on the loading of the cpu ?

|> As a counter-example, I also have Marble Madness.  It requires a reboot,
|> nothing else runs, and it still gets jerky.  Even moreso since it requires
|> floppy access.  I regret ever buying the thing, because although I enjoy
|> playing the game, I *HATE* the way it forces me to reboot.  As a result,
|> I rarely played the game, and haven't touched it in the last 2 years.

Marble Madness is a good game, even if it'a pretty old. But if you really
loved it, you should play it for hours and hours. In this case, what's the
problem ? Rebooting takes only a few seconds. If it's not the case, you don't
really like the game, so you are right to regret having bought this game.

|> Sorry!  But that's the way it is.  And I expect that the market is more
|> my way, than the game addict's way.  Who buy's Amiga?  Someone who just
|> want's to play games?  No!  THEY go buy something like Nintendo.  People
|> who are willing to plunk down the money to buy an Amiga want it to do
|> more than just play games!

WRONG !
Here in Europe, 90% who buy an Amiga 500 only use it for playing games. Many
of my friends never used the workbench disk ! They are the market in Europe.
They bought an Amiga because Nintendo and Sega doesn't really exist here, and
because you can try many of the games in a pirated form before buying them.
I'm not encouraging piracy, but this is the reality here. I also think that
the best games on the Amiga are much better than the best games for the
consoles.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed Hanway) (06/01/90)

mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
[heavily edited for brevity -jeh]
>1. Should game be HD-installable? NO
>2. Should game multitask? NO
>3. Should game detect extra memory/diskdrives/processors? memory YES, others NO
>4. Should game be exitable? NO

Please let me know what game you're working on so that I won't waste my
money on it.

Ed Hanway
kodak!elmgate!jeh

In article <7938@mirsa.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:

>Marble Madness is a good game, even if it'a pretty old. But if you really
>loved it, you should play it for hours and hours. In this case, what's the
>problem ? Rebooting takes only a few seconds.

And it is this misperception that is at the heart of half the trouble.

I keep around five megabytes of software in RAD: as a constant working
environment; if your game forces me to a cold reboot, rebuilding this
takes, not a few seconds, but fifteen to twenty _minutes_.  And in the
meantime, you have deprived me of all the useful work (compiling,
downloads, raytracing, spreadsheet recalculation, weave pattern calculation,
hailstone series calculation) that could have been done with the machine
cycles your game didn't need on my more than baseline configuration Amiga,
but hogged anyway.  The longer I play your game, the worse my loss.  So,
guess what?  I choose to play it the shortest time I can, which is to say,
not at all!  And since I won't be using it on your game, I can spend my
money on a game that respects my wishes as the buyer of a multiprocessing
machine.

No argument, there are tons of A500's out there in minimal configuration,
lots of them Christmas presents that are just fancier Nintendo sets for
their users.  If that is the _only_ market you care about, your game can
run cold boot to cold boot, with the worst copy protection scheme you can
devise.

BUT, at last count, some 10% of the _total_ U.S. population was capable
of at least minimal computer programming.  With a better set of educational
systems, the number is probably higher in Europe.  Nearly anyone who can,
given one page of instructions, an Amiga, and AmigaBASIC, will be able to
write a Mandelbrot program, badly.  You are selling into a crowd that bought
Amigas, so the programmers among them were either looking for graphics or
sound.  The graphicsoids will write the Mandelbrot.

It will run slowly (my first one took up to 36 hours per calculation) but
make great pictures.  Take me for specificity.  Guess what? I want to use
the rest of my machine for something while that work's going on, so I buy
an extra half meg of memory.  I try your game, and it trashes my Mandelbrot.
I tell ten of my friends with minimal configurations what a _rotten_ game
yours is.  It may actually be the best, most fun game going for the A500
minimalist configuration, but after hearing me badmouth it, they buy
something else.

You planned your sales campaign and game design around the minimalist
configuration, forgetting that word of mouth is much more powerful than
the best advertising campaign.  You forgot to look out for the needs of
_all_ your customers, and you lost out in the marketplace.

You think it doesn't happen?  Ask the folks who founded Technisoft how
fast a company can die when the word spreads across the net that its
product is a can of worms and it despises its customers.  Took us about
four months, maybe six tops.

Far better you should take the professional approach, forget the piracy
paranoia, and write the best Amiga specific game you can.  Take for
example Faery Tale Adventure.  It was pirated and the pirated copies
widely circulated within months of its release.  I know, I have one.  I
also have _two_ store bought copies, one still in the shrink wrap.  It
is still on the shelves, what is this, three years later?  Still selling
well enough to justify its place on a busy, busy rack.  Why?  Because it
is a _great_ Amiga game; all the pirated copies just acted as advertising
for the honest folks who wanted the game, by folks far too cheap to buy one.

Back then, in the days of A1000's and SOTS barely workable expansions, the
multitasking while playing a game market was miniscule, so it doesn't do
that; what it does do is really take advantage of all the then machines
best features to give super bang for the game buying buck.  Today that
same description goes to games that do great stuff while still obeying
all the Amiga rules for system friendly software.  Programmers have gotten
better, the marketplace has gotten more sophisticated, games that _do_
obey all the rules are in evidence and have raised expectations; this isn't
the 1985 Amiga game market any more, and writing games as if it were isn't
the way to get rich.

Look back through the postings and count the proportion that state flat
out "I won't buy copy protected software"; that's how much of your market
you throw away.  That has nothing to do with multitasking.  It has to do
with the inconvenience, and often added cost, of replacing worn out
game disks, with the damaging sounding racket on-disk copy protection
schemes cause, with the illegible and easy to lose keyword sheets, with
the difficulty of making my count of lines in the manual the same as
yours, and so on.  Even the minimal system owners are losing their cool
over being thought crooks and made to suffer through all this nonsense
by some game developers, while others publish without any kind of copy
protection and do just fine.

Just a note in passing, buried deep in this diatribe where it will never
be seen:  when you are ready to make your final master for the disk
reproduction company 1) run "copy ... all" onto a clean disk to make all files
contiguous, so that you won't be beating my floppy drives to death seeking
across a fragmented disk, and 2) _look_ at what goes onto the disk; I just
bought a game that came with a free copy of the commercial assembler used to
create it, still on the disk.  Probably a $150 assembler product, on a
$25 game product.  Make sure that everything on the disk is needed for the
game, and that you have a right to distribute it!  These two steps can't
take more than an hour tops, at the end of a long game development cycle,
but the first makes the game much more pleasant to play, and the second
keeps you out of hot water and me honest, or at least less dishonest.

Thanks for listening, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record
here.  One more insight:  if you make the Amiga look like a Nintendo
clone by the way your software operates, you modify the market's perception
of the computer away from its unique favorable qualities.  This hurts Amiga
sales, and over the long term, that hurts your sales, too.  There is some
synergy in doing the job right, since the opposite model then holds.

Kent, the man from xanth.

cstxqbt@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP of Truth and Justice) (06/04/90)

This subjec seems to be currenttly descussed in both comp.sys.amiga and
comp.sys.amiga.tech.
This is the article I subbmitted to comp.sys.amiga.tech.

>Mutitasking is not a problem for the games writer. There is nothing wrong
>with Exec. The problem is mulitittasking with intuition. Lets face it
>intuition is a load of rubbish. I can't stand useing any proggrams that make
>extensive use of it. I reffuse to use DMCS because of this. In DMCS it is
>that it takes too long to go about refreshing all the distturbed windows.
>It window handeling is far from perfect. Even if you don't use windows it
>is still not ideal. Did you know that if you leave the screen in front pulled
>down, ( And I don't just meen pulling a window down. ) the whole maching
>slows down to a snails pace. You may not notice this if you are not useing
>much of the cycles before hand. Finally it is too dificult to manipulate the
>display if you are restricted to useing intuition screens.
>
>- CirsP.

I was pushed for time.
You all seem to complain that you have to reboot your machines. Some of you
say that it takes too long. What do you have in your startups. Personaly I
have as little as possible. I want to turn my machine on and go imidiatly.

And about Hard Disks. Take a decent game. It comes on two disks. If the
programmer was clever he could have put about 3 megs on that. It should be
possible for a writer to supply a third disk to install this onto Hard Disk.
as a coninous file. allong with the nessassery pattches to make it use DOS
to read it. This copy, alough in DOS format, would not make the game pirated
any more than if it did not come wih the third disk. As most pirates do not
have Hard Drives. And will find it easier to hack the protected copy than
raise the money tto buy a Hard Drive.
  This is just a sugesttion to the writters. I think the exra work will pay
off. Especialy if they make it so that the patched version will exit back to
he OS. This should be exeptable to all as the patched version only need to
work wih exra memory.

Its all very well saying I don't want to use proggies that don't multitask.
When I get down to writing a proggie I don't want to have to use intuition.
I could write an intuition replacement that will allow cli's and custom
displays generatted buy custom copper lists. But who'd use it. There are
thoes who like there workbench. How about a screen manipulator that would
allow the intuition's display as one of its elemens. Would NEone use it.
Would you games programmers allow for its use? If there is a demand for it
I'll write it.

- CrisP.

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (06/06/90)

In <136453@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>I spent a year here at Sun working
>very closely with the Product Marketing group and learned a _lot_ .
>Prior to that I thought of Marketeers as glorified combination Public
>Relations/Salesperson types.

Who turned you, you swine, and how much are they paying you to write this?   ;-)

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

In article <568@lily.warwick.ac.uk> cstxqbt@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP of Truth and Justice) writes:
> You all seem to complain that you have to reboot your machines. Some of you
> say that it takes too long. What do you have in your startups. Personaly I
> have as little as possible. I want to turn my machine on and go imidiatly.

I don't want to reboot my machine because it's NOT a Commodore-64. If I wanted
a game machine I could have got one a hell of a lot cheaper than the nearly
2 grand I paid for my original A1000 with options. I don't want to reboot
because I may have work in progress at the time I start the game up. I am
willing to deal with a game that kills multitasking while it's running, but
it should leave allocated memory alone. If it can't run with what I give it,
it should say so.

Hackercorp's own game, Tracers, multitasks just fine. I really don't see why
anyone else should find it impossible to at least return to multitasking when
it's done.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
/      \

martens@kayak.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (06/07/90)

>In article <568@lily.warwick.ac.uk> cstxqbt@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP of Truth and Justice) writes:

>> You all seem to complain that you have to reboot your machines. Some of you
>> say that it takes too long. What do you have in your startups. Personaly I
>> have as little as possible. I want to turn my machine on and go imidiatly.

The problem with rebooting and the question of what's in a person's
startup are completely orthogonal.  I don't like to reload emacs, all
the files I happen to have in emacs, Online, and whatever else I might
have laying around in memory from my floppies just because a game
programmer thought the game would necessarily be the most important
thing in my system.

If a game forces a reboot, take it back to your dealer for a refund.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Chemlawn, trademark, suburban distributor of toxic chemicals.

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (07/06/90)

If you want me to *buy* the game then I want it to use available resources,
be friendly to the OS, not force a boot or a reboot, not have disk-based
copy protection, well...you get the picture.  Some of these are negotiable.
Give me the option of speeding up play by turning off multi-tasking and
as long as you turn it back on when you exit then I am happy.  I also
do several things at once when I use my machine and I don't want to be
forced to reboot and wait those 5 minutes to load up.

Of course if you are aiming at the kids and are creating another
shoot'em up that I won't be interested in and only they will be and you
have to protect your product from their swap'n copy rings then go ahead
and make it fast, small, nasty, and full of copy protection.  But I won't
even consider buying it.  And if you don't tell me it is fast, small,
nasty, and full of copy protection then after I take it back I will make
a note to myself (just click on a second window in multi-tasking)
to not buy anything more from you!

So please your put your energies into software that is aimed at someone
like me.  I have money and I spend it on games I like and I don't allow
copies to be spread.  Can't you make money in *my* market?

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com