[comp.sys.amiga.tech] WorkBench 2.0, Help!!

sjm@well.sf.ca.us (Stephen Moehle) (07/06/90)

I very recently purchased an Amiga 3000.  It has, I believe, Beta 2.0 ROMs.
The versions are "Kickstart version 36.141. Workbench version 36.68" (Could
someone please tell me what Beta release this is?).  I am having a few
problems/questions with 2.0.  If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

1. When 2.0 first boots up, the machine is in Interlaced mode.  I used the
Screen Mode editor to set it to Non-Interlaced because it is easier on my
eyes.  When iprefs is run from the Startup-Sequence, I get a requester
titled "Intuition Preferences", and the message is "To reset Workbench
screen, please close ...."  I suspect that I need to update my
devs:system-configuration file, but I cannot figure out how.  I have RTFM,
but to no avail.  Why is it all windows must be closed any how?

2. I am loosing buffers like mad.  If I set ff0:, my main hard disk
partition, to 100 buffers using "addbuffers ff0: 100" then immediately
do "addbuffers ff0:", it tells 100 buffers.  After a moderate amount of
disk activity, however, "addbuffers ff0:" tells me either 1 buffer or
"Error 18".  I can add more buffers and things work ok for a while, but
soon I am out of buffers again.  My hard disk is rather slow with only 1
buffer.  Help!

3. Where can I get programming documentation.  Is there a new version of the
AmigaDOS reference manual?  Includes and Autodocs?  Anything?

Thanks for all and any help.

Stephe
sjm@well.sf.ca.us     or      {ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm
"You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (07/07/90)

In article <18881@well.sf.ca.us> sjm@well.sf.ca.us (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>I very recently purchased an Amiga 3000.  It has, I believe, Beta 2.0 ROMs.
>The versions are "Kickstart version 36.141. Workbench version 36.68" (Could
>someone please tell me what Beta release this is?).  I am having a few
>problems/questions with 2.0.  If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

The A3000 _Release_ version of 2.0 has these version numbers (Kickstart
36.141, Workbench 36.68).  The dealer demo units have a late beta with
smaller version numbers, but the "for sale" units have the release 2.0.

>1. When 2.0 first boots up, the machine is in Interlaced mode.  I used the
>Screen Mode editor to set it to Non-Interlaced because it is easier on my
>eyes.  When iprefs is run from the Startup-Sequence, I get a requester
>titled "Intuition Preferences", and the message is "To reset Workbench
>screen, please close ...."  I suspect that I need to update my
>devs:system-configuration file, but I cannot figure out how.  I have RTFM,
>but to no avail.  Why is it all windows must be closed any how?

You have put something in your startup-sequence that outputs text
to the CLI.  The initial CLI has been trained to not open until
the first text is spat out.  IPrefs can reset the screen for you under two
conditions:  Before any windows are open, and when only Workbench's
windows are open.  The standard startup-sequence runs IPrefs before anything
spits text out, hence no windows are open, hence IPrefs can do its job
silently.  Try moving the commands you added to after the "wait" command
after IPrefs.  Or redirect the output of the commands you added
to >NIL:.  Otherwise you have to wait until Workbench is up, and
hit "Retry".

--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/07/90)

In article <18881@well.sf.ca.us> sjm@well.sf.ca.us (Stephen Moehle) writes:
> Why is it all windows must be closed any how?

Unlike 1.x, 2.0 "tells" the workbench what mode it should be in when
Iprefs is run. The system configuration information is more for colors
and such. WARNING: DO NOT USE CONMAN with 2.0 as that will cause your
console to be screwed up. Bill Hawes is reportedly working on a
replacement.

[can't help you on #2]

>3. Where can I get programming documentation.  Is there a new version of the
>AmigaDOS reference manual?  Includes and Autodocs?  Anything?

If you are a developer, send in your Non-Disclosure agreement and
$20 if you are certified. Commodore will send to the latest beta
(or is that Gamma :-)) If you aren't a developer then wait until
Commodore announces the "Native Developers Update" for 2.0 which
should be available some time after 2.0 is officially released for
"real".

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (07/07/90)

In article <18881@well.sf.ca.us> sjm@well.sf.ca.us (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>I very recently purchased an Amiga 3000.  It has, I believe, Beta 2.0 ROMs.
>The versions are "Kickstart version 36.141. Workbench version 36.68" (Could
>someone please tell me what Beta release this is?).  I am having a few
>problems/questions with 2.0.  If anyone can help I would be most grateful.
>
>1. When 2.0 first boots up, the machine is in Interlaced mode.  I used the
>Screen Mode editor to set it to Non-Interlaced because it is easier on my
>eyes.  When iprefs is run from the Startup-Sequence, I get a requester
>titled "Intuition Preferences", and the message is "To reset Workbench
>screen, please close ...."  I suspect that I need to update my
>devs:system-configuration file, but I cannot figure out how.  I have RTFM,
>but to no avail.  Why is it all windows must be closed any how?

That requester comes up if you have a SHELL window open.  Simply close the
shell window before you start IPREFs (or alternately, don't cause any output
to be sent to the shell before starting IPREFs) and everything should be fine.

>3. Where can I get programming documentation.  Is there a new version of the
>AmigaDOS reference manual?  Includes and Autodocs?  Anything?

At the moment, the only updated programming docs for OS 2.0 are in the AutoDocs
available RSN from CATS.

		-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.